8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 12:07 AM by rechmbrs

Acr plug-in ability

rechmbrs Level 1

I would like to have the ability to use plug-ins in ACR like we do in Photoshop.   Is it possible now?   If not, please consider offering.

Thanks,

RONC

• 1. Re: Acr plug-in ability
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Camera Raw IS a plug-in itself. What plug-ins are you thinking of? What is it you would like to do? Since a raw file is not a pixel image, what is it you are expecting to be able to do?

Just as a comparison, I use the Nik plug-ins from Google in Lightroom. But Lightroom must create a TIF or PSD image in order to utilize the plug-ins. The plug-ins are not capable of working on raw data.

• 2. Re: Acr plug-in ability
            rechmbrs Level 1

I'm interested in adding to the Pentax Pixel Shift Resolution processing.   You say raw data are not pixel type data but everything that comes from ACR is.   I can think of other things where I might wish to do it differently from how Adobe does.  ACR is a black box with some parameters whereas Photoshop is open to "program".

Adobe should consider plugins to ACR in my opinion.

Thanks,

RONC

• 3. Re: Acr plug-in ability
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it is practical to expect such. ACR is a raw converter. Photoshop cannot do anything with raw image data. That's why ACR is needed. And because raw image data are not pixel data I don't think it's reasonable to expect any raw converter to have plug-ins. To do such would require ACR to convert the image to pixel data, and that's what happens when transferring the image from ACR to Photoshop. But if you want to pursue it, here is the link to the forum where suggestions are made:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 4. Re: Acr plug-in ability
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could probably pre-process raw data to DNG data and change things however you want, then ACR would open the DNG file you'd created. 

• 5. Re: Acr plug-in ability
                  rechmbrs Level 1

Preprocessing the DNG basically means writing another ACR.   ACR is atypical of Adobe software.  The jpeg files inside ACR are pixel type.   The data is made into pixels inside ACR not during transfer to PS or LR.

RONC

• 6. Re: Acr plug-in ability
                    rechmbrs Level 1

I'll go to Photoshop Family Customer Community and try.   DNG converter is another black box.

Thanks,

RONC

• 7. Re: Acr plug-in ability
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I should have worded things differently:  The data in a DNG is written in a documented way (I think) so you could convert your raw files to DNGs using the black-box DNG Converter software, then do whatever you want with the pixel data for the four pixel-shift positions, perhaps making them all the same to avoid camera shake problems, then rewrite them to the DNG, then process that DNG with Adobe black-box software.

From what I'm imagining you want to do, using a plug-in would give you access to the raw data and let you rewrite it in memory for ACR to use.  My suggestion is to use file-I/O to read and write the raw data in the DNG file similar to how you'd use a plug-in, but just reading and writing a separate file instead of doing things in memory.

• 8. Re: Acr plug-in ability
                        rechmbrs Level 1

DNG is like Tif in that it organizes information so it is easy to get to.   DNG can hold pixel data or ancillary stuff.   Basically I want to get hold of the pixel data plus raw data before the pixels are sent to PS,    then but some math to the pixels  and give back to ACR.

Why don't I just write a program to do it?   I'm lazy and I prefer to use what is available.   Just like PS plugins, all of the inputting and outputting is done for me and I can do math on pixels without spending a year coding.

RONC