13 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2017 12:01 PM by That Nikon Guy

Using the Mogrify LR plugin

kcarney1@cox.net

I have been trying to use the Mogrify plugin for Lightroom CC (http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php).  This is on a Windows machine running Windows 7 Pro.  No luck so far, so I thought maybe someone here might have some insight.  I did see some older posts, but they did not address my issue.  The issue is that the LR plugin manager is supposed to point to c:\program files\imageMagick-7.0.2-Q16\mogrify.exe.  However mogrify.exe does not exist on my HD.  Instead it points to c:\ImageMagick-7.0.2-q16\LRMogrify2.plugin, LR's suggestion in plugin manager.  I followed the installation instructions including installing the Windows 64 patch file, but no luck.

Mogrify is supposed to provide the ability for captions and watermarks on LR export, which would be great if it works.  Everything seems to be OK except for the absence of the mogrify.exe file.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it!  I tried emailing the developers but no response.

--Ken Carney

• 2. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
          kcarney1@cox.net Level 1

Thank you, Mohit.  Still no luck though.  I have unzipped the Mogrify file to the LR plugin folder (trying other locations also), but still the problem is the lack of a mogrify.exe file in ImageMagick or Mogrify - or anywhere on my HD.  I know that ultimately LR export has to point to that exe file.  This one may be a lost cause, though I would like to have the features.

Regards,

Ken Carney

• 3. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
            effeegee Level 2

Ken

I struggled to update LRMogrify 2 plug-in and Image Magick to the latest IM version and have dropped back to IM-6.9.2-Q16.  Having just checked my file listing under the IM folder I can find Mogrify.exe. A suggestion: try to load the previous version of IM and see whether you can get LRMogrify to work.

Because I can still use all the Mogrify features I require and don't need IM other than for LRMogrify2 I've never investigated the snag further.  (Win7 Pro 64/LR5.7.1).

I'm guessing you've followed all the installation instructions for C++ etc.     

• 4. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
              Jim Wilde Level 5

Can you confirm that you did in fact download and install ImageMagick, which is a separate download from the Mogrify plug-in?

In the Plug-in Manager, you don't reference the location of mogrify.exe, you only reference the location of the Mogrify plug-in library (which will be wherever you unzipped it to). When you first try to use mogrify in an export, you have to specify the location of the mogrify,exe file, which should be in the ImageMagick folder in Program Files.

• 5. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                kcarney1@cox.net Level 1

After I read your suggestion, I found a couple of others suggesting using an older version of ImageMagick.  But, it appears ImageMagick does not archive older versions.  I could not find a self-installing version of 6.9.2-Q16 anywhere, just a zipped version on their site.  Yes, I did install the C++ files per instructions.  Thanks for your help - this thing has become a quest.

Ken

• 6. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                  effeegee Level 2

ImageMagick: Install from Binary Distribution - look further down this page for a Windows self installing version - extract below:

"The Windows version of ImageMagick is self-installing. Simply click on the appropriate version below and it will launch itself and ask you a few installation questions. Versions with Q8 in the name are 8 bits-per-pixel component (e.g. 8-bit red, 8-bit green, etc.), whereas, Q16 in the filename are 16 bits-per-pixel component. A Q16 version permits you to read or write 16-bit images without losing precision but requires twice as much resources as the Q8 version. Versions with dll in the filename include ImageMagick libraries as dynamic link libraries. Unless you have a Windows 32-bit OS, we recommend this version of ImageMagick for 64-bit Windows:"

VersionHTTPFTPDescription
                  ImageMagick-6.9.4-10-Q16-x64-dll.exedownloaddownloadWin64 dynamic at 16 bits-per-pixel component

Good luck. LRMogrify2 is brilliant - almost too powerful well worth persevering

• 7. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                    kcarney1@cox.net Level 1

Yes, I did download ImageMagick (7.0.2.0-Q16-x64) and installed it.  I also unzipped Mogrify (4.48) to the LR plugin folder, and the LR plugin manager says it is installed and running.  I agree that the mogrify.exe file should be in ImageMagick in program files, but it is not.  I'm baffled - just a photographer, not a software engineer.  Thanks for responding.

Ken

• 8. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                      effeegee Level 2

Can't explain. If I right click on Image-Magick from the task bar and open the file location I see Mogrify.exe.  But if it is installed and running in LR it should work. DO you see it in the Export module? (You only access Mogrify as a post process as you 'export' images and you have to 'turn on' the elements by selecting and inserting the relevant features. See below)

• 9. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                        kcarney1@cox.net Level 1

Thanks, that version does have the mogrify.exe file and the LR export now shows the correct path to it.  I'm getting closer, but: it appears Mogrify does not want to export tiff files:  I get this message:

mogrify.exe: unable to open image `tiff:': Invalid argument @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2705.

mogrify.exe: unrecognized image format `tiff' @ error/mogrify.c/MogrifyImageCommand/4927.

These are 16-bit tiff files.  Thanks for your help...so close

Ken

• 10. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                          effeegee Level 2

Ah! Gotcha. Jpeg only …but nothing wrong with that as far as I am concerned print well display well because you can control the image quality.

From LRMogrify2 FAQ

Q: If I export a JPEG then doesn't that mean that LR/Mogrify 2 will work on the JPEG file before saving as a JPEG yet again, thereby reducing the image quality?

A: Short answer: No.

Long answer: LR/Mogrify 2 is designed to secretly ask Lightroom for a TIFF file to work on, and then convert to JPEG at the end. However under Lightoom 2.O there's a bug that stops me from exporting the TIFF with the user's chosen colour space, so until this is fixed by Adobe LR/Mogrify 2 will secretly export the highest possible quality JPEG, mogrify that, and then creates a new JPEG with the chosen quality level.

• 11. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                            kcarney1@cox.net Level 1

OK, everything is working now.  JPEG only is OK, though I wish I could have just one step to go directly from tiff.  I only use the caption and border features for web presentation, not in printing.  Thanks very much to all who bailed me out!

Ken

• 12. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                              kcarney1@cox.net Level 1

OK, now Mogrify exports a tiff to the correct size jpeg.  This is Thursday, we'll see if it does it on Friday.

Ken

• 13. Re: Using the Mogrify LR plugin
                                That Nikon Guy

SUCCESS STORY and root cause analysis and pats on the back that might help you avoid wheel-spinning and unbecoming language... There is a reply in here about 16-bit vs. 8-bit ImageMagick, and I want to reiterate how critical that is to this particular fix.

I kept getting the "mogrify.exe: no decode delegate for this image format..." error message like many others when attempting any kind of Mogrify action after installing any of the Q16 16-BIT 6.9 or 7.0 ImageMagick versions under 64-bit Win10 running Lightroom CC 2-15.10.1.  16-BIT ImageMagick was the root cause of the failure. Sure, we all like to work in 16-bit until the very end, which is where Mogrify is in this workflow.  I installed 8-bit ImageMagick-6.9.8-8-Q8-x64-static and suddenly all was right with the world. I didn't go back and try the DLL version, by the way

And where did I find 6.9?  With the help of effeegee's link to ImageMagick's Legacy page, that's where!

http://legacy.imagemagick.org/script/

I was able to put a batch of digitized, reversed and cleaned-up B&W film negatives onto black 1920x1080 canvasses to keep from getting the distracting, eye-straining light backgrounds in Plex (running on a Roku, streaming from my PC with Plex Server installed), which tries to match the background to the predominant colors in the image.

The trade-off, and a minor one for me, Nikon .nef raw files export fine as long as I only want 8-bit JPGs or TIFs.  I know - 8-bit TIF is an oxymoron, but I wanted to give it a go....  It won't export PSDs or anything in 16-bit.  No DNGs, either.  This is fine for me because I export either to view on TV or the Web when fixed-size is required as it is for our high school's somewhat dated site that pulls 2:3 images to fit the box, or to send in exact dimensions to White House Custom Color to print.  I'd love to be able to create a 16-bit PSD, but maybe in a later version.

Thanks to all who have taken time to post here; you saved the day.  Thanks to the Mogrify (sent in my donation) and ImageMagick teams for your great work.

Alan Cole

AlanColePhotography.com

BathroomDarkroom.com (A fun film photography site that includes a gallery of an old 1974 outdoor rock concert for your reminiscing pleasure)