6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 4:33 PM by CoSA_DaveS

Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files

tad005

Hi people,

Any way of overcoming this? I have a small project created in Preview 3 but when I try to open in Preview 4, it am informed that Preview 3 fiels can't be opened. Which is a bit of a nuisance. Any ideas to overcome this?

TIA

Andrew

• 1. Re: Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files
          CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Sorry! It's very rare for us to do this, but we have a small team and found the time we'd have to invest to reliably read old projects would have meant many fewer features in Preview 4.

You can keep Preview 3 and 4 installed side-by-side so you can still go back to Preview 3 to work with old projects.

And of course you can import the PSD/AI files into Preview 4 to work with them for future projects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files
            tad005 Level 1

Thanks. I guess I assumed as other Adobe products can open and update older files Character Animator could too. Perhaps once its stable:-)

• 3. Re: Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files
              seanb45299971

I have installed Preview 3 again, after re-installing After Effects 13.5, then updating from Preview 1. It now looks like my project is gone, and I may have lost a year's worth of work, including the organization of scenes and the manipulation of puppets within Character Animator. Would updating to Preview 4 have deleted previous projects?

I found a mention about the non-compatibility between 3 & 4 here on the forum after automatically updating. Surely some more warning about this would have been helpful.

• 4. Re: Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files

No projects are removed when updating / installing / uninstalling, so they should still be wherever you last left them (though the last-used project won't necessarily auto-open as before, if your preferences have been reset). Unless you moved the files elsewhere, they are likely in Documents/Adobe/Character Animator/Preview if created in Previews 1-3. Note that Preview 4 defaults to storing projects in a folder next to that "Preview" folder called "Preview 4".

Sorry there's not more warning. We'd prefer if the "remove previous versions" option in the installer defaulted OFF, but there are other Adobe products that wanted it ON...

• 5. Re: Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files
                  seanb45299971 Level 1

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I will try to salvage what i can from that folder; it looks like I may have some of the work left. It's looking like there is one scene per project as opposed to multiple scenes. I'm not sure what happened.

I will keep the installer's Remove Previous Versions option in mind for future.

Would you have any suggestions or directions for updating or importing the projects to Preview 4?
                  Thanks again! I hope to be able to put something together with the help of your team's hard work.

• 6. Re: Preview 4 unable to open Preview 3 files

On the plus side, Preview 4's new tagging interface and puppet panel improvements should make the process much faster/easier than in Preview 3.

If you created puppets via New Puppet in Photoshop/Illustrator, the artwork will be inside the Ch Media folder in the project folder. Same thing if you ever did File > Copy Media Files into Project Folder. You can copy them out of there and then import them fresh into Preview 4.

For instruction on best practices with Preview 4, see DaveW's new (45 minute!) tutorial here: Making Your First Character (Adobe Character Animator Tutorial) on Vimeo