2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 4:43 AM by benh89702148

Best place for Intel 750 NVMe PCIe on Ae system?

benh89702148

...as a cache, project or system drive? ...or another funky place that I haven't thought of?

It's my project drive, currently, but I'm not seeing any performance increase (although not sure how to measure) over a Samsung 850 EVO, and it's faster on paper.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Best place for Intel 750 NVMe PCIe on Ae system?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

and it's faster on paper.

So is a Porsche 911 compared to a VW Golf, but they both get stuck in traffic jams just the same. Beyond that there's not much to say. You need to read up on how SSDs work and what they are good for, which clearly means that a storage device that places focus on IOPS and is meant to handle thousands of small files that fit into its memory "grid" pattern still can suck at handling alrge files as they regualrly occur with video. And theno f course the usual things like transfer bandwidth on your PCI bus and whatnot. to cut it short: You have a wrong idea about this stuff and based theron wrong expectations.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Best place for Intel 750 NVMe PCIe on Ae system?
            benh89702148 Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium.

The question still stands, and there is a right answer. One less fueled by caffeine and self worth - read up on collaborative learning/book a holiday etc.

So, does anyone have any real-world experience with these drives in their setup and how are you using them?