16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 6:07 AM by rob day

Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign

mrmister1 Level 1

Hi

I am using at work two software, Indesign and your competence QuarkXpress. If I had to chose one, I prefer Indesign, it is very nice, and I love it, however I am forced to work with both softwares.

Okay, I have a doubt about the method Indesign use to export a page in JPG, high resolution, because QuarkXpress do the same job but in a different way, so my doubt is about the quality of the produced files.

This is a very technical question, if someone with experience in professional press and printing or an expert from Adobe could reply, I would be grateful.

Is Indesign producing a bad quality file or is QuarkXpress the one producing a bad quality file?

My doubt is as follows:

I have opened a document in Indesign, and I decide to export it. To simplify the things, we have a single page document, DIN A4.

So I tell Indesign to export the page, and I want a JPG file, in high resolution, 300 ppp.

Fine, Indesign do its job, and produce the exported file. It is a JPG, it has 300 ppp.

If I open the document in Photoshop, and I go to... Image... Image Size...

I see the Indesign document shows the exact measures for a DIN A4 210 x 297 mm and in the resolution file, I have 300 ppp.

So seems to be Indesign did a nice job.

Okay.

Now I explain you what happen with QuarkXpress.

I do the same, I have a single page document, DIN A4 and I export it as JPG in high resolution 300 ppp.

Okay, now QuarkXpress create the file and I open the file in Photoshop.

Surprise.

The file, has bigger dimensions than a DIN A4 and lower resolution !!!

Exactly, QuarkXpress produce a JPG file of the following dimensions: 874,89 x 1237,9 mm and a resolution of 72 ppp

When I see 72 ppp I think the document is in low resolution. However I have a bigger document?

I open the QuarkXpress file In Photoshop, then I uncheck the box Resample Image, in that way Photoshop will never alter the image. Now I change the resolution value from 72 ppp to 300 ppp which is the value I want.

And what happen? What happen is that I get a document with the exact measures of a DIN A4 and also in 300 ppp.

???

So basically QuarkXpress is doing the same job as Indesign, but in a different way.

The QuarkXpress file are 2,29 MB more or less. The Indesign file are 3,84 MB more or less.

So why these differences?

What method is the best and why Indesign produce a different file than QuarkXpresss?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The QuarkXpress file are 2,29 MB more or less. The Indesign file are 3,84 MB more or less.

So why these differences?

JPEG is a lossy format so different compression methods or amounts?

Also there are known quality problems with InDesign's JPEG export when there are placed images on the page. If the page has placed objects, the better method is to export a PDF/X-4 and open it into Photoshop at the desired resolution.

• 2. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Images don't really have physical dimensions, the important numbers are the pixel dimensions.

Ppi is metadata used to calculate printed dimensions.

The physical (printed size) of an image is determined by dividing the pixel dimensions with the ppi.

As for the difference in in file size, Indesign and Quark probably use different compression when making a jpg.

And file sizes for jpg files vary greatly, depending on the compression settings, noise and sharpening, and the nature of the subject.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

To get the best quality JPEG from InDesign, export as PDF and open it in Photoshop. But if it's really quality you need, then JPEG is the wrong format.

What are these JPEGs for?

• 4. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                mrmister1 Level 1

Hi everyone, don't worry I won't use those JPG for printing anything, I am just testing how it exports. Think about the file as JPG, or PNG.

What I don't understand well is why both programs works different, that is my question.

Indesign export a page as JPG and when I open it in Photoshop I see:

1. Export a JPG with exact DIN A4 dimensions in mm, and the resolution is 300 ppp.
                2. The document is produced with the exact DIN A4 dimensions and the indicated resolution 300 ppp.
                3. Everything is perfect and I don't have to change anything in Photoshop.

QuarkXpress export a page as JPG and when I open it in Photoshop I see:

1. Produce a JPG file of the following dimensions: 874,89 x 1237,9 mm and a resolution of 72 ppp
                2. Then in Photoshop I go to Image... Image Size...
                3. I uncheck the box Resample Image and I change 72 ppp with 300 ppp in the resolution field, then the page dimensions reduce from 874,89 x 1237,9 mm to the exact DIN A4 dimensions and I have then the same result as with Indesign, exact DIN A4 dimensions and a document in high resolution 300 ppp

So why is this happening?

Why QuarkXpress produce the document in such a way I have to change things in Photoshop and Indesign produce the document, perfect, avoiding me changes.

In fact, seems to be both documents are okay, but with the QuarkXpress document I have to change things, and with the Indesign document I don't have to change anything.

That is what I don't understand?

Cheers

• 5. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                  mrmister1 Level 1

Per you tell me that pictures don't have dimensions, just information, pixel count I guess you men.

Ppi is metadata used to calculate printed dimensions.

The physical (printed size) of an image is determined by dividing the pixel dimensions with the ppi.

Okay, let's forget the difference in file size, and let's concentrate in the difference in both files when they are opened in Photoshop.

Observe that the Indesign file is produced in such a way I don't have to change anything... I open it in Photoshop and everything seems to be perfect, exact dimensions of the file, and correct ppp.

However, when I open the QuarkXpress file, I have to apply changes. I open it and I see bigger dimensions than a DIN A4 and also lower resolution. Then I have to uncheck resample, and increase the resolution from 72 ppp to 300 ppp, now yes, I have the QuarkXpress file in the same way Indesign provide me the exported file.

So what I don't understand is why I have to apply changes, that is, why both programs works different?

Perhaps Indesign is doing the things better... or is it Quark?

That is what I don't understand.

Cheers

• 6. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign

However, when I open the QuarkXpress file, I have to apply changes. I open it and I see bigger dimensions than a DIN A4 and also lower resolution. Then I have to uncheck resample, and increase the resolution from 72 ppp to 300 ppp, now yes, I have the QuarkXpress file in the same way Indesign provide me the exported file.

The Effective resolution is the same from both applications.

You can resize the output dimensions in Photoshop, but you could also accomplish the same thing by placing the Quark version into InDesign and scaling or resizing the image down to the A4 dimension. In that case if you check the Info for the image in the Links panel you'll see the Actual Resolution is 72, but the Effective Resolution (the scaled resolution) is 300ppi.

Effective Resolution as all that matters for print output.

• 7. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

For this purpose I would not use JPG at all, use PDF/x-4 and import that. Type will be raterized with a JPG at image resolution and decreases output quality.

If you need to export to a rasterized image, I strongly recommend, not to use InDesign's JPG export, rather than exporting to PDF/X-4 and opening that in Photoshop and saving as JPG from there. You will get a better quality.

• 8. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                        mrmister1 Level 1

Yes, you are right. Both files are okay.

So why those differences when you open an exported Indesign file in Photoshop and when you open a exported QuarkXpress document?

I guess those differences are a metadata question.

Because Indesign is from Adobe, and knows very well the Adobe software... knows very well how to provide the right metadata for Photoshop.

However, Quark is not from Adobe, so it think about producing a correct output for printing, but, do not think about providing the right metadata for Adobe Photoshop.

I guess this would be the differences between both files?
                        Because regarding the pixel count, they seems to be okay, both are in the correct output, high resolution 300 ppp for a DIN A4.

• 9. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

As far as I know, ppi is not required metadata for images.

So Im guessing that Quark exports the jpg without a ppi value.

But Photoshop has to assign a ppi value when it opens an image with no ppi value specified.

This value happens to be 72, but it could be anything, because the pixel dimensions do not change.

• 10. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                            mrmister1 Level 1

aha, then that could be the reason Indesign files don't have problem when they are opened in Photoshop. Indesign provide the resolution value as a metadata, so when Photoshop open the file, it does the pixel count, and also retrieve the ppp metadata. Hence, it adjust automatically the dimensions.

Quark don't provide the ppp metadata.

Why?

We would have to ask Quark.

If this is okay, I would mark the reply as correct?

• 11. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                              mrmister1 Level 1

Hi Willi, I'm very interested in what you are saying. Can you tell me please, if you had to export in Indesign or Quark, what would be the best possible output? PDF/X-4  you told me? why X-4 is a best? will this produce a high quality output in high resolution?

Cheers

• 12. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign

PDF/X-4  you told me? why X-4 is a best? will this produce a high quality output in high resolution?

The default PDF/X-4 preset keeps all color unchanged and profiled, so when you open it in Photoshop the conversion into whatever color space you choose will be accurate. The resolution will be whatever you choose in the Photoshop open dialog. Placed images will either get upsampled or downsampled from their Effective resolution to the chosen resolution. Exporting and opening PDFs will produce better results than JPEG export when there are placed images on the page.

• 13. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                                  mrmister1 Level 1

My God Rob, amazing, absolutely amazing pure magic.

I tried the PDF/X-4 and the conversion in Photoshop is perfect. Photoshop opens it wonderfully, to the right resolution, 300 ppp. However, I tried this with Quark, and because I prefer to use more often Indesign... would you know how to export an Indesign page with PDF/X-4 ??

Cheers

• 14. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

mrmister1 schrieb:

… would you know how to export an Indesign page with PDF/X-4 ??

File > Export… > PDF (Print)

Choose a PDF/X-4 preset, change the values as you need them, e.g. bleed, resolution, etc.

• 15. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign
                                      mrmister1 Level 1

I always was scared of the PDF because I thought it was compressing things and pictures would lose its quality, but I did the test yesterday and my God, absolute perfection.

At work as I said, I am forced to use Quark, but as soon I can I go to Indesign, INDESIGN TREMENDOUSLY BETTER, more esay, more professional, more fantastic.

Thanks everyone for this outstanding help.

• 16. Re: Doubt about exporting pages as JPG in high resolution with Indesign

I thought it was compressing things and pictures would lose its quality

You control compression amounts via the Compression tab—there you have the option to turn off compression