12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 7:30 AM by srqCasper

Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016

AndyFeature

Hello, noticed a couple of bugs/problems with the new cloud update, wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing, or if you had a fix for it:

1. Project files are no longer recognised by adobe, so you can't double click your project in explorer for it to open (without being prompted with 'what do you want to open with?'

2. After effects plugins/scripts have all been removed/deleted after updating, does anyone know if theres an 'old cc' folder anywhere?

Cheers,

Richard

• 1. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For number 1 go to Microsoft – Official Home Page  and search for an article on how to set Windows file assocations

• 2. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
            AndyFeature Level 1

Hey John,

This is something I have done, but it doesn't properly associate it like it normally does (with the icon of the application)

I shall see if I can get it working again.

Cheers

Richard

• 3. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
              David__B Adobe Employee

Moving to After Effects forum

• 4. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the future, don't let the CC app remove your old versions. See this page for info on that. I have found it useful having AE CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 all installed on my machine for troubleshooting or using multiprocessing in CC 2014.

I don't remember where AE's folders are tucked offhand (and I don't have my Mac with me at the moment), but it might keep them around for you. You could re-install CC 2015 and see if your old plugins are back in it.

• 5. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                  markp79051526

I also have lost all of my 3rd party plugins and scripts after updating after effect. I have checked the folders and the files are still in the correct folders, but I can not access these tools from within after effects.

Please help. Without the use of plugins and scripts, after effects is of little use as these are generally all major time savers.

Thanks a lot.

• 6. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You apparently missed the warning that you should uncheck remove preferences and uninstall previous versions. This was a bug in the CC isntaller that was not fixed in this release. The only option is to re-install all your 3rd party plug-ins and scripts. It's a pain. If you have a backup you can copy them from the appropriate library and scripts locations but this will not guarantee that all 3rd party effects will be properly re-installed.

The lesson that should be learned is that you should never blindly just update without reading all available information and exploring all of the options in the installer and you should not update any software unless you have a backup of a previously working installation.

• 7. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                      markp79051526 Level 1

Thanks for the input Rick. You were quick to point out the error I made, which was correct, but you did not offer much of a solution.

Perhaps you can clarify any options to work around this. My plugin files are still all in the correct folders. I have tried deleting them and then pasting them back in the folders but this does not fix anything.

I also tried installing a previous version of after effects but that did not fix the problem.

Do you have any other solutions to offer? You seem very knowledgeable.

When you said that "this can not guarantee that all 3rd party effects will be properly installed." Are you implying that if this is the case there is not option/solution to get these 3rd party plugins working in my after effects at all?

That would not seem like a wise move by Adobe, however, I highly doubt this to be the case.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you are not sure of the answer, that is fine too. I appreciate you taking the time to contribute.

• 8. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The solution is to re-install the 3rd party effects using the installers. Many of them require library items that cannot be just copied and pasted into new locations. For example all Red Giant plugins must be installed or re-installed with the latest installer. It's the only way to fix the problem.

The big mistake Adobe made was hiding the install options behind a hard to see advanced options link and making assuming that everyone wanted to delete previous versions and make all new preferences. Every pro that I know never deletes previous versions of the software they use to make a living if an upgrade will allow multiple versions. This goes for every software manufacturer, not just Adobe. Even if the bug didn't exist making removing previous versions and deleting preferences the default behavior without flashing a big warning with carefully worded instructions for these destructive options was poor judgement on someone's part.

• 9. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                          Snakedogman Level 1

Not sure if it will be different on a Mac, but I'm on Windows and I just copy-pasted the plugin and script folders from the previous version to the "support files" folder of the 2015.3 version and all are working fine, including plugs from RedGiant, Trapcode and Greyscale Gorilla. There was no need to reinstall anything. I do not know off the top of my head where these files are located on a Mac, but you can be sure they are still there. Of course, in some cases a plugin might need to be updated to be compatible with a new AE version, but this is usually only the case for major version releases, not point updates.

Even if you choose to remove the old version of AE when installing the new version (or if Adobe chooses this for you ) in my experience it never removes the scripts or plugins folders so you should always be able to find these in the left-over folders from the old version (under "support files"). AFAIK these are not part of the "preferences" so unless things work really differently on the Mac, I really doubt the information that Rick Gerard is giving here is correct.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                            srqCasper

Using Windows 7. After updating to the latest version of AE I cannot get the .aep ext to default to After Effects. At first the extension was simply gone. I did get the extension back but it is defaulting to Adobe Acrobat DC. Have attempted to change the program but it doesn't take. Is the only option to uninstall and then reinstall After Effects?

• 11. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                              Snakedogman Level 1

had the same thing, this is what fixed it for me:

The solution...

• Open regedit
                              • find the application you are looking for in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\
                                • Example: atom.exe is located at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\atom.exe
                              • delete that entry
                              • right-click the file type and try selecting the program again. It should now appear

you might have to restart or restart explorer.exe after changing the registry key.

• 12. Re: Creative Cloud 2015.3 update 20th June 2016
                                srqCasper Level 1

Unfortunately Corporate IS has told me we won't be doing that. But thank you very much.