5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 6:58 AM by BarbBinder

Need help using "In Next Frame" with captions

mlondon88

Hi,   I'm laying out a photography book with 300+ captions. My editor suggested linking all the caption text frames so that I can keep all the captions in one Word file to import/update into ID, which will help with editing/copyediting/proofreading

I understand that I can set the Paragraph Style of the captions so that KeepOptions>StartParagraph is set to "In Next Frame"

However I have two questions:

1)  Sometimes I have more than one paragraph in a frame. For example I may have one text frame on a spread where there are two photographs, and I want to keep both captions in one text frame. How can I trick InDesign into keeping these two paragraphs together, instead of putting the 2nd one to the "In Next Frame"?

2)  Sometimes I have more than one paragraph style in a frame. For example if the caption is longer than one paragraph, I have one style for the first paragraph (which makes the first five words in ALL CAPS) and then a 2nd style without the ALL CAPS for the continuing paragraph. This is a variation of the above question, but in this case, how does using "Next Style" affect the use of "In Next Frame"

Gratitude in advance.

• 1. Re: Need help using "In Next Frame" with captions
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

1)  Sometimes I have more than one paragraph in a frame. For example I may have one text frame on a spread where there are two photographs, and I want to keep both captions in one text frame. How can I trick InDesign into keeping these two paragraphs together, instead of putting the 2nd one to the "In Next Frame"?

You could replace the paragraph break ¶ with two soft returns (Shift Enter) or make a style for the 2nd paragraph that isn't set to In Next Frame or override the 2nd paragraph.

2)  Sometimes I have more than one paragraph style in a frame. For example if the caption is longer than one paragraph, I have one style for the first paragraph (which makes the first five words in ALL CAPS) and then a 2nd style without the ALL CAPS for the continuing paragraph. This is a variation of the above question, but in this case, how does using "Next Style" affect the use of "In Next Frame"

That's the answer then: two paragraph styles. One for the first para with a nested character style changing the 1st five words to all caps, and a second without the break or nested character style.

Next style only comes into play when typing, or when assigning styles with Apply xxxx and Next Style. If your paragraph styles are named 1st Caption Para and 2nd Caption Para, for example, then when you finishing typing 1st Caption Para and press Enter, 2nd Caption Para is automatically assigned to the next paragraph. Alternatively, if you select a 1st and 2nd para at the same time and right+click 1st Caption Para in the Styles panel and choose Apply 1st Caption Para and Next Style you can tag both paragraphs at the same time.

• 2. Re: Need help using "In Next Frame" with captions
            mlondon88 Level 1

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your quick reply and sorry for my long delay.

I'm still not clear on how to achieve my goal.

Assuming two Paragraph Styles: "1stCaptionPara" (first five characters are ALL CAPS)

and "2ndCaptionPara" (without the all caps)

Each text frames may have one of three variations:

Just one paragraph for one photograph, using "1stCaptionPara"

Two paragraphs for one photograph, first using "1stCaptionPara", second using "2ndCaptionPara"

Two paragraphs for two photographs, each using "1stCaptionPara"

If I assign KeepOptions>StartParagraph>InNextFrame to "1stCaptionPara" then only the first of these three variations would work.

How can I make this work?

Thanks again...

• 3. Re: Need help using "In Next Frame" with captions
              Skemicle Level 3

After assigning the Keep options to the first paragraph style the second will update to the same keep options. You just need to go into the second paragraph keep options and turn the keep option to anywhere after you turn it on in the first paragraph style. You will also need to delete the nested style from the paragraph 2 style. This happens because a next paragraph style is by default based on the first paragraph style so InDesign assumes that whatever you change with the first you will want to change in the second as well.

• 4. Re: Need help using "In Next Frame" with captions
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Make 2 different Paragraph Styles, one to start with a new frame, the other to start anywhere.

I think it is NOT a good idea to use 2 forced returns to imitate 2 paragraphs as it causes other problems.

• 5. Re: Need help using "In Next Frame" with captions
                  BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Hi Mlondon88:

So you need a total of three paragraph styles and 1 character style:

• 1stCaptionPara with a nested character style to set the first 5 letters to all caps, and set to start in next frame, next style=2ndCaptionPara;
                  • 1stCaptionParaNB (meaning no break) that looks exactly like the one above it but isn't set to start in next frame; and
                  • 2ndCaptionPara

You'll be able to take advantage Apply 1st Caption Para and Next Style only when 1stCaptionPara or 1stCaptionParaNB are followed by 2nd CaptionPara.