4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 10:21 PM by dsarig

RoboHelp 8 - All Files Unrecognized

dsarig Level 1
      I upgraded a RoboHelp 6 project to RoboHelp 8. It worked okay for awhile (very slow and many style issues), but okay.
      Now, any topic that I try and open, RoboHelp tries to open a new project and then I get the following messgae:

The file "xxxx.htm" is not a recognized Help Project file and cannot be opened.

This happens whether on the local directory or network.

I moved this project to local to try and improve the slow performance and then this happened.
      Any suggestions?

I tried deleting the .cpd, but then the project opened with all broken links (1,000s of topics).
        • 1. Re: RoboHelp 8 - All Files Unrecognized
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi Debbie

Your message would suggest you are simply attempting to edit individual HTML topic pages without first having a RoboHelp HTML project open.

See if you can locate a file ending in .MPJ or .XPJ (or even .HHP) and open that. This will open the project and you should then be able to open and edit individual topics in the project.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: RoboHelp 8 - All Files Unrecognized
            dsarig Level 1
            Hi,
            Thanks. But, I definitely have the project opened. I click on one topic from either the TOC or the Topic List (I have tried both) and then the scenario that I described happens.

I have tried opening the .xpj file by clicking on it its folder and I have also tried opening RoboHelp and then opening the project through RoboHelp.
            • 3. Re: RoboHelp 8 - All Files Unrecognized
              RoboWizard Level 4
              Hi Debbie

Hmmm, it sure would seem the project is open, eh?

Perhaps try reinstalling RoboHelp? Sounds like something got clobbered somewhere along the way. Also, from what you have reported you were formerly working on a network resource? If so, ouch - not good - always better to work locally! From what you have described it would almost seem that your RoboHelp project has somehow managed to be created using absolute references for the topics. That would seem odd because RoboHelp normally creates relative things. However, we have seen all sorts of weirdness when you work off a network. That's just one of the reasons we advise against it.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: RoboHelp 8 - All Files Unrecognized
                dsarig Level 1
                I uninstalled and reinstalled and that solved the problem. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!