4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 5:55 PM by dj_paige

Cant import files into lightroom as LR says they are already in the library?

andrewt6261068

A few weeks agi I imported a file in to lightroom and all was well. I came to work on the file today and found that out of the 500 or so images on 39 showed up when I opened the file. The file name had a question mark beside it and was a paler colour than the other file names.

I decided to remove the file from the catalogue and re import. Having removed the catalogue file I have tried to re import the images but although all the images appear on the import screen they are masked out. When you hover over them lightroom tells you that the images have already been imported.?

Can anyone advase as to what I could do to solve thsi problem? I am using Lightomm 5.7 645 bit? thanks

• 1. Re: Cant import files into lightroom as LR says they are already in the library?
          dj_paige Level 9

You don't ever want to re-import photos. Lightroom is preventing you from doing something that could cause even more confusion.

To use these photos, you have to find the photos in Lightroom. To do this, please follow all four of these steps, in sequence

1. CLick on All Photographs on the left hand side of the develop module in Lightroom
          2. Turn off filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
          3. Sort by file name (View->Sort->File Name)
          4. scroll up or down until you find the photo by file name in alphabetical order

Once you find the desired photo(s) this way, you can edit them or perform any other task you want (including moving it to some other folder)

When folders (not files) have a question mark icon, it means you have either moved or renamed or deleted the folder outside of Lightroom, and Lightroom can't find the folder. You have to tell Lightroom where the folder is, you can right-click on the folder name and select Find Missing Folder and then point Lightroom to the new location of the folder.

• 2. Re: Cant import files into lightroom as LR says they are already in the library?
            andrewt6261068 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I haven't moved any of the files on my hard disc where the images are stored. I have done as you have suggested but the file that appears in LR is no longer their? The original file is where it had always been .

I think the problem is that I have deleted the file from Lr where it says delete from LR but not the original file. However, somehow the files are still in LR but I now have no link to click on to find them anymore. I assumed that by deleting the LR file I would remove them from LR and therefore be able to re import them?

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Cant import files into lightroom as LR says they are already in the library?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In LR right click on one of the files that appear to be missing and select Show in Finder/Explorer (whichever OS you are using).

Do you go to where the file is actually located or some other place on your drive.

I don't understand this statement.

andrewt6261068 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I haven't moved any of the files on my hard disc where the images are stored. I have done as you have suggested but the file that appears in LR is no longer their? The original file is where it had always been .

If the file is still in it's original location then when you imported it you had Copy selected in the import dialog window, instead of Add, and then you Deleted the Copy that LR made during the import.

Also don't understand this.

andrewt6261068 wrote:

I think the problem is that I have deleted the file from Lr where it says delete from LR but not the original file. However, somehow the files are still in LR but I now have no link to click on to find them anymore. I assumed that by deleting the LR file I would remove them from LR and therefore be able to re import them?

Sent from my iPhone

If you deleted the file from the LR catalog then you can re-import them. Since you can't re-import them then they are still in the LR catalog.

How many catalogs do you have? Having only one catalog is the best way to use LR.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cant import files into lightroom as LR says they are already in the library?
                dj_paige Level 9

I believe you have accidentally imported the pohtos using the COPY option, so there were (or there are) two copies of the photo in your operating system, and this causes confusion. Please show us screen captures of the problem in Lightroom, and also the corresponding folder as seen in your operating system.