3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 10:19 PM by FakeGreenDress

Color swatch and Brush, C'mon adobe "It's time"

lmblonde90210

Hey everyone, after emailing adobe about this for a few years, I figured it might be best to get a little group message going.

these days group discussion likes count for more than a simple email.

I have always felt like After effects has always lacked two very significant features.

I would like to encourage an of you to comment and share this post, and maybe we can get some new great features in a future update.

1) The Color Swatch Panel- Almost every adobe product has one, but not AE?

Every workday I deal with clients whose needs necessitate the use of specific colors. more often than not I am going back and forth to photoshop or illustator to spot select the colors that we use for our edits because AE has no swatch panel.  I now have a notebook that has my color codes written down in it, and I go to it to copy and paste the code.

I know Sander Vand Dijk created his own swatch like plug in for accessing and replacing colors within your projects, but it feels more like a color replacement panel, not a swatch library.

But really adobe,  you make amazing leaps with your updates. this UI should not take that much for you to accomplish, and it would make alot of peoples work lives more efficient. Possibly Including a folder structure so swatches could be saved, and shared with friends, or placed into in individual mini libraries, would be a good feature too, then specific clients could have and share their own project colors.

2) The REAL BRUSH TOOL- This one is more personal, than work oriented but it also makes alot of sense in the long run. Remember your blob brush tool in illustrator, that creates vectored shapes as you draw them? this and a liniear version is something that I feel AE is missing. Sometimes it feels arduous to create shapes using the bezier pen tool alone, and I realize many of you may say, "well just use illustrator and import the shapes" fine. but wouldn't you be alot happier if you almost never had to leave the AE program to achieve the shape styles you want?

COME ON ADOBE! It's time.

Love you

Feel free to reply to this post and get this discussion started, and chime in with your own ideas.

• 1. Re: Color swatch and Brush, C'mon adobe "It's time"
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

lmblonde90210 wrote:

these days group discussion likes count for more than a simple email.

Group discussion likes might be useful, but if you want to be sure to count for Adobe, file a feature request. The more of them they get for something, the higher up the priority list it goes! File it here. File one request for each item you would like to see and be as detailed as possible about how you would like it to work.

You've mentioned the third-party swatch tool. You haven't mentioned the third-party paint tool. Check out Paint and Stick. The public beta for their new version is out now and it looks great! Not only can you do proper painting in AE including frame-by-frame animation, but you can stick that paint to 3d renders too!

• 2. Re: Color swatch and Brush, C'mon adobe "It's time"
            lmblonde90210 Level 1

Thank you Szalam,

Paint and Stick looks like a very cool feature, however, the basis of creative cloud is to have tools like this readily available. for consumers who can't afford to pay $100 or more dollars for every third party app. I will consider it however becasue it looks awesome, especially the integration between AE and C4D.

And I will send an email to the File it here, link. I could not find that on their website, that is why I created a discussion.

thanks best

L

• 3. Re: Color swatch and Brush, C'mon adobe "It's time"
              FakeGreenDress Level 1

lmblonde90210 wrote:

Every workday I deal with clients whose needs necessitate the use of specific colors. more often than not I am going back and forth to photoshop or illustator to spot select the colors that we use for our edits because AE has no swatch panel.

Have you tried the Adobe Color Themes panel? It's a little bit hidden, under Window > Extensions > Adobe Color Themes. You can use it to create swatch sets and share them in Libraries.