5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 4:39 PM by Rick Gerard

rasterize, make scale effect didnt work

arvyt62488061 Level 1

first, i make some world globe scene for motion graphic

the world map basic is from adobe illustrator, i import the ai, to after effect to make the map vector

the problem, when i try to make zoom in scene (i didnt need zoom very detail, only until we cant see the globe shape)

but when i do that, the map become blurred

i try searching on google, and i find maybe active rasterize can help

but when i active the rasterize button.

the world globe scale effect didnt work

on first i make scale from 0>100%(stop for a sec, cos i want make it rotate>600% zoomin until cant see globe shape, so its look like flat map

its work, but blurry

but with rasterize on, the scale only fix at 100%, whenever i play its still 100%scale

didint zoomin-out

is rasterize button is the right pick if i want zoomin vector file, so it didnt blurry?

and why the scale effect didnt work after that?

thanks

• 1. Re: rasterize, make scale effect didnt work
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can't have both. all effects rasterize vector data. You need to think of anothzer technique liek building different comps with different sub-sections of your zoom and transitioning between them.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: rasterize, make scale effect didnt work
            arvyt62488061 Level 1

thank you for your respone

seems i have wrong idea about rasterize, i thought it will make ur object always sharp when you scale it

so its work like that, place different comp, and transitioning between them

thank, i will try this

• 3. Re: rasterize, make scale effect didnt work
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I"m guessing that you used a vector file with CR turned on for your map, then applied CC Sphere to that layer. What you want to do is possible you are just approaching the problem without taking into consideration how CC Sphere works. The first problem I see is that you are talking about scaling the sphere layer. That will never work correctly, you have to adjust the radius to make it bigger.

Here are some things to consider: First, to prevent distortion a map layer for a sphere should be created at the ratio of the diameter of a sphere high and the circumference wide so that it is not distorted. This is just basic geometry. Diameter = 2 * Radius, Circumference = 2 * π • r. CC Spahre will work with any size layer but to avoid distortion you must follow the basic rules of geometry.

CC Sphere's default radius is 200 so the minimum map layer size would be 400 (2r), by 1256 (2πr). When working in AE you always want to keep your layer dimensions at even numbers. Once you create your map layer you collapse transformation, then pre-compose the layer or layers that make up your map. Then you tie the scale of the map layer to the radius of the sphere using an expression. Since the default radius is 200 you simply divide the radius by 2 to precisely calculate the scale of the map layer. This is easy to do. Let me give you a step by step.

1. Create your map layer with vector images at a minimum size of 400 x 1256
              2. Turn on Collapse transformations
              3. Pre-compose the map layer moving all attributes to the new composition, name the pre-comp map and open the pre-comp
              4. Select the pre-comp timeline and drag it below the main comp
              5. With the map layer selected in the map comp press the S key to reveal the scale property
              6. Back in the main comp apply CC Sphere to the map layer and lock the Effects Control Panel
              7. In the map timeline hold down the Alt/Option key and click the scale property to start an expression
              8. Drag the expression pickwhip to from the scale property to the radius value in CC Sphere to automatically create an expression
              9. Examine the expression and at the end of the first line just before the semicolon add /2 - the final expression looks like this:
                temp = comp("Main").layer("Map").effect("CC Sphere")("Radius")/2;
                [temp, temp]
              10. In the main comp make sure Collapse transformations is turned on on the map layer
              11. Adjust the radius of your sphere to anything you like and the map will stay sharp
              12. Add the rest of the elements to your main comp

Your comp setup should look like this:

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 3.00.37 AM.png

• 4. Re: rasterize, make scale effect didnt work
                arvyt62488061 Level 1

thanks

that was great explanation

yeah that totally my problem

btw what is CR?

• 5. Re: rasterize, make scale effect didnt work
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CR - Continuously Rasterize - When vectors are turned into pixels the vector information is rasterized. When CR is turned on the vector information is turned into pixels after the layer is scaled or moved so the edges stay sharp. With CR turned off the pixels are created first and then they are scaled and moved so they act just like any video or image and start to fall apart as you scale them up.

CT - Collapse Transformations - This changes the way the master comp looks at the pixels in a nested comp (pre-comp) by calculating the transformations using the information in the pre-comp before the transformations in the nested comp are calculated. This is easiest to demonstrate by selecting a layer in the main comp timeline, making that layer 3D, then pre-composing the 3D layer making sure you move all attributes to the new comp. Now add a camera and a light to the main comp and move the camera around. With CT turned off the nested comp is a 2D layer. Turn on CT and the camera and lights interact with the nested comp just as if the layers were still in the main comp. Even if you made the pre-comp in the main comp a 3D layer, with CT off the lights and camera would not interact with the layers in the nested comp until you turned on CT.

Hope this helps. Pre-comps are a way to change the rendering order so you can calculate new pixels in the composite in different ways.