4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 7:00 AM by trshaner

Speed is paramount

jonhob Level 1

I'm a sports photographer and need to supply images, in a variety of sizes and formats to various outlets quickly and efficiently.

For football I use Photo Mechanic with Photoshop and a few actions which resize, save-as then send to an Export folder and then to close the image ready for titling back in PM before sending via FTP.

For or my other work, mainly motorsport, I use PM to ingest and add IPTC data (as above) and to sort images then import in to Lightroom, filter the images, edit then, and this is Lightrooms best feature, fun my exports to send the images off to a number of Dropbox folders again at different sizes. I love Lr's Export section!!! I've even set up key commands to trigger the exports.

My big bugbear is the amount of time it takes to import in to Lr. When I'm importing 600-1000 images per race, I'm up against the clock to get images sent out. My Mac uses a FW800 port and I have 3 lexar CF readers piggyback. Getting the images in to PM is not an issue, it's Lr which is sooooooo slow. I wonder if I should used Ps but it doesnt have the same Export section. ACR is also an option but I hate it!!! Again, no Export section.

Has anyone got any thoughts or opinions?

Speed we'd is a must!!

Thanks in advance.

Jon

• 1. Re: Speed is paramount
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is unfortunately Lightroom's achilles heel in my opinion. If you are an event/sports photographer you either really max out your hardware (with limited results generally) or use other software than Lightroom. PM seems to be a goto for a lot of people in your profession but the raw support is only so so. It works great if you are a jpeg shooter I have been told but its raw engine is simply the OS built-in one but without any real editing control. That said, Adobe also has Bridge (comes with Photoshop) which can edit raw in the same way as Lightroom does using ACR (so no terabytes of tiffs generated as using Photoshop from PM would do) and is quite a bit faster in your type of workflow as there is no import! It is a file browser instead of a cataloguer. Basically you can import using PM which is good at multiword import. Then you select, rate, flag, keyword, and edit in Bridge, and do your export to Dropbox folders from Bridge.

P.S. rendering a 1000 images from raw will take some time even on very fast machines. I don't know your time pressure but the fundamental problem might actually be shooting raw instead of the software you use. Raw processing is quite an intensive thing. Even if it only took one second (that's a very fast machine) to render a single raw file that would still be 15 minutes in total for 1000 images! Working from jpeg is much faster and that's why a lot of events/sports folks still use jpeg.

I love Lightroom myself but I shoot very different from you and (generally) don't have strict deadlines. I generally work on single images for a long time and spend a lot of effort perfecting them. That is very different from shooting a few thousand, selecting 100, quickly editing and uploading them all within almost no time.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Speed is paramount
            jonhob Level 1

Hi.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts!!

I did shoot EVERYTHING in RAW but for press work, .jpg is much faster.

I do think Lr is optimised for wedding, portraite and landscape togs where speed is not an issue. Adobe needs to understand there are other subjects and not everyone has the time to sit and edit photos. We probably have around 30 seconds max to work on a photo (crop/straighten, basic exposure tweak and sometimes vibrancy). However, Lr can slow right down and freeze even with 16gb of RAM!

I would also like to hear from Adobe for their thoughts.

• 3. Re: Speed is paramount
              dj_paige Level 9

jonhob wrote:

"Adobe" (meaning the Lightroom developers) doesn't respond to comments like this, and doesn't regularly monitor this forum. Jao vDL (not an Adobe employee) has given you a rather definitive answer.

You could submit a formal feature request on this issue: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

• 4. Re: Speed is paramount
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jonhob wrote:

Adobe needs to understand there are other subjects and not everyone has the time to sit and edit photos. We probably have around 30 seconds max to work on a photo (crop/straighten, basic exposure tweak and sometimes vibrancy). However, Lr can slow right down and freeze even with 16gb of RAM!

Have you tried Importing using the below File Handling setting of Embedded & Sidecar? On my modest system using 21Mp Canon 5D MKII raw files it takes about 1.0 sec. per image to import. If you can work at 'Fit' Zoom view this should speed up processing dependent on your raw file's embedded preview size and monitor resolution.