2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 3:47 AM by XDude.com!

Cloud computing/rendering with After Effects: are we there yet?

XDude.com! Level 1

I did a search and didn't find any threads with this question...

For the folks at Adobe:

Can I buy a netbook, install After Effects on it, and have my video(s) rendered on the cloud?

Is this a current reality?

Will it be? (I think it will be, undeniably, but are there current plans to make this happen?)

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Cloud computing/rendering with After Effects: are we there yet?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been paid render solutions available for years. You just send your footage the server - cloud means cloud based service and some of them probably are, but some do not run cloud based servers. You still use the internet to upload footage and project files. This is nothing new, it just costs money.

There may be an Adobe based solution for this in the future. I've heard rumors, but there is nothing for free except setting up your own internet connected render farm with you can do with just one AE license. Note - multi machine render cars must render image sequences and then if you need a compiled video and audio rendered the image sequences and the mixed audio are then put together into the final deliverable file. That's how multi machine rendering works.

• 2. Re: Cloud computing/rendering with After Effects: are we there yet?
            XDude.com! Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

I guess the main part of my question was more about the netbook (or Chromebook, etc.).

Right now, I produce videos on my Windows PC: 4GHz i7 processor, 32GB RAM, big fancy video card, etc. etc.

I imagine that one day, we'll be able to produce high-quality videos in After Effects without having to invest in our own expensive machines.

Will After Effects even install on a netbook/Chromebook? The system requirements for Creative Cloud seem like it might work at least, though rendering on an i3 would be ... errr ....