8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 3:10 PM by kaczorefx Branched from an earlier discussion.

After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone

____Peter____

And here we go again. Just installed 13.8.0.144 (or "2015.3" as we call it nowerdays) and all new profiles are gone again.

Is that really so hard to write a working installer.

__Peter__

• 1. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Peter - Yes, I confirm that on Mac OS, the advanced color profiles are not available in After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8). That is clearly wrong, and a bug, and my apologies for that.

I do not see this problem on Windows. Please tell me what OS and version you're using, if what you see differs.

This does not appear to be an installer problem. The profiles are present on disk (Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles) as expected. Something else is happening here, and I am investigating.

• 2. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone

Please disregard my last comment (which I am leaving for the time being). I just had a chat with one of the developers, and there's more to this story. I'm still investigating.

Peter, can you tell me which specific profile you were searching for? And was this in the Project Settings > Working Space menu, or in another profile selector in After Effects?

• 3. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone
              ____Peter____ Level 1

Hi Tim,

sorry for my harsh criticism, but I was very upset that we have to do the same thing again.

I am on Windows 8.1 on this machine. I was about to do the old thing and copy the profiles from another machine into the folder. But I found a folder called "MP" that seemed new to me. In that where all the new profiles. So I draged that into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles and then I get all profiles back in AE. I am not 100% sure where the MP was because it was such a mess with copying and pasting yesterday, as I had to get the machine working again.

We specifically need the ACES and the SLog3 / SGamut.cine profiles. As we are doing almost everything in ACES now and have Sony F5 and F55 Footage most of the time. Which is RAW to straight ACES or SLog3/Sgammut.cine.

BTW: Any chance that we get ACES RRT/ODT support for Displaying? That would be of great help.

Thanks!

__Peter__

• 4. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So you're saying you can get the profiles you need back in AE by just copying those files over? Thanks for sharing that workaround! I'm sure it'll help others.

• 5. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone

I understand the frustration, Peter. When the problem surfaced in After Effects 13.7.0 I was pretty upset, so to hear from you on this thread again made me very concerned.

But for After Effects CC 13.8, there have been changes, the issue is not as simple as the installer. The installer does appear to be doing what it's supposed to do, but there were some changes: camera profiles are installed into the MP folder, and only display profiles are installed into the Profiles folder. This is different from After Effects 13.6 and 13.7.1, where all profiles were dumped into the MP folder.

That's why I want to know what specific profiles you are expecting to see, and in which dialog (which I still need an answer from you on).

Now, I will admit I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to color management workflows. On my machines I'm seeing some inconsistency, and I am asking the engineers for guidance on what the expected results should be. Confounding the whole process is that we introduced a new installer technology with CC 2015.3, and it looks like it may not be cleaning up the color profiles installed by 13.6/13.7.1. There may still be a bug here, but we need more info.

BTW: Any chance that we get ACES RRT/ODT support for Displaying? That would be of great help.

I'll ask.

• 6. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone
                    ____Peter____ Level 1

First I was trying to set up a new ACES project. So I went into Project Settings, Switched to 32Bit and wanted to choose the working space as ACES. But the profile was gone. If that had been there I would have then imported a ACES OpenEXR Sequence and would then set that to ACES (or Workingspace) in the interpret Footage dialog. But as There was nothing to set in the project settings I didn't get so far. But I would assume that those 2 dialogs (project settings and interpret footage) use the same profiles.

And as I wrote in my last post: ACES and SLog3 profiles are those specific ones we need. And now have again.

Thanks for asking about the full ACES implementation. At the moment it's a half-baked ACES implementation. Resolve and Fusion have it for years now.

Thanks!

__Peter__

• 7. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone

Peter - I have some more information.

There was a change in After Effects CC 2015.3 that some of the profiles are installed to the MPProfiles (Motion Picture Profiles; effectively, camera profiles) instead of the Profiles folder. This is intentional; I am still getting clarification on which profiles should have been installed to which folder. My assumption is that the ACES and SLog profiles would not have been put in MP, but I am waiting on information from the experts.

Also, a question: when you installed After Effects CC 2015.3, did you allow the Creative Cloud desktop application to uninstall the previous version of After Effects? (This is turned on by default, underneath the Advanced Options section of the update dialog. So unless you enabled this, the answer is yes.)

• 8. Re: After updating to 13.8 advanced color profiles are gone
                        kaczorefx Level 1

I solved it.

Right now the advanced color profiles are in two places:

C:/Program Files (x86)/common files/adobe/color/mpprofiles

and

C:/Program Files/common files/adobe/color/profiles

When you delete or just rename the mpprofiles directory - all of a sudden all AE vesions show the arri and ACES color profiles again