8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 8:04 AM by Sumit_Garg

One week of PDF creation = 70GB of temp files

Earth Oliver Level 3

So i have a rather large (300pg) document with many, many placed INDD files which are linking to big PSD files and i've been ripping pdf's from it for about a week. Last night as i was generating yet another round of pdf's for my client, i had a warning pop up that my START UP DISK was running out of space. The pdf takes nearly an hour to rip, so i started frantically looking for things to throw away so that the rip time wouldn't be lost to the a crash or whatever might happen when ID can't cache. I soon discovered that there was 70GB of tmp files which were clogging my START UP!!!

My Question is this: WHY IS INDESIGN CACHING TO MY STARTUP???? AND WHY ISN"T THE CACHE BEING DELETED ON QUIT?

And why can't i tell ID where to put this cache? Why is the only preference to change the directory for the recovery?

I know this has been an issue for more than a decade, but why hasn't it ever been addressed? My startup is not a huge drive and i like it that way. Why do i need to fork out $$$ to buy a larger SSD startup just to support the ID cache?