4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 4:09 PM by Adobe_Lucas

Jpeg export view from Indesign

Hello,

Can someone tell me what the best procedure would be to view an exported JPEG from Indesign?

Unlike an exported PDF, there is no automatic link to an app or plug-in that allows the user to see what he or she has exported.

We use these JPEGs to send to customers, so viewing them quickly would help our procedure.

Any process suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Jpeg export view from Indesign
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Viewing a jpeg is handled by the OS. You can export from ID - jpeg, pdf, eps, epub, but after that ID is "idle".

Your question is "How do I set a default viewer for jpeg files?"

What OS? (Mac or Win)

Windows - Right click any jpeg (jpg) and choose Open With from the flyout. Choose Default Program (should be) at the bottom of the Open With

Windows Photo Gallery would be a typical default choice.

OSX - (I think) select a file and use cmd+I to set preferences for handling.

• 2. Re: Jpeg export view from Indesign
            Level 1

Thank you for your quick response.

Actually, I was looking more for a procedure that was akin to how exported pdfs are handled from Indesign

When Indesign exports a PDF, Acrobat is triggered and automatically shows a preview of the pdf.

But, since nothing is being distilled with a JPEG, there is no helper app that previews the JPEG after it's been created.

And we are working on Mac OS 10.11.5.

Again, thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Jpeg export view from Indesign
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can view JPEGs in any of OSX browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox), or Preview and they are all color managed, so they will respond to embedded profiles. And of course there is Photoshop.

To automatically launch one of the apps you would need script. The easiest way to script it would be a folder action, so when you export the JPEG into a folder with the script attached it opens the JPEG.

Something like this would open into preview and could be setup as a folder action:

on adding folder items to hotfolder after receiving added_items

tell application "Finder"

set thepath to item 1 of added_items as alias

end tell

tell application "Preview"

activate

open thepath

end tell

end adding folder items to

• 4. Re: Jpeg export view from Indesign
                Level 1

Thank you for the scripting advice.