7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 5:52 PM by maryc24869137

Lightroom completely empty

maryc24869137

My wife uses lightroom and had several pictures that she was editing, but hadn't saved with edits as she wasn't done. She was working on them the night before and tthen the next night when she opened lightroom it was empty, no broken links with the exclamation mark, no nothing. When we looked online and saw how to restore from the backups we went and looked and they were empty, we looked at the backups on onedrive that we used every so often as a secondary backup, they were empty too, then we found every picture in the recycle bin, everyone, we restored the pictures andhave them, but none of the edit history stuff shows up in lightroom once the catalog was there again....is there a way to get to the edits and what the heck caused this. And before you ask, there was no one else tht could have touched the computer. Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom completely empty
          dj_paige Level 9

The symptoms sound like you accidentally opened a new catalog.

Try this:

1. Use the Lightroom menu command File->Open Recent and see if any of those catalogs show the photos and edits you are looking for.
          2. If that doesn't work, use your operating system's search feature to search for all files on all disks whose name ends with .LRCAT. Double-click on each one found to open it in Lightroom and see if it contains the photos and edits you are looking for.
          • 2. Re: Lightroom completely empty
            maryc24869137 Level 1

nope, that was one of the first things we did after reading about it online, there were just the ones I stated above and they were empty

• 3. Re: Lightroom completely empty
              dj_paige Level 9

maryc24869137 wrote:

nope, that was one of the first things we did after reading about it online, there were just the ones I stated above and they were empty

Please clarify. Your initial statement said you went online and learned how to restore backups. But my instructions had nothing to do with backups. Now you are saying you performed the instructions I gave as one of the first things you did after reading about it online.

So, are you or are you not saying that you have performed BOTH my instructions (which have nothing to do with backups) and also tried to restore all backups? And none of that was successful?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom completely empty
                maryc24869137 Level 1

Ok, I appreciate any help and maybe I am not clear, so let me be more specific, I went online to research this issue and saw that you could restore from backups, my wife said that she backed up all the time, so I looked at the backups folders and searched for any other backups folders, they were empty, then looked that issue up and it said search for .lrcat to identify catalogs, there were none, but the 2 associated with the two backups folders we already knew about and where we had our catalogs at and they were empty as we already knew.. We have been using Lightroom for a few years now, we have moved catalogs from one drive to another, found catalogs when missing links appeared, etc. THIS is different, the files were gone from the hard drive, the folders were there, but the files/pictures were gone. The links in lightroom were gone as if it were a fresh install and yes we had the proper catalog and directory selected. We then found every picture in the recycle bin as if they had been right click deleted off the hard drive, but they had not been. We restored the pictures to the hard drive and the catalog opened and the pictures were there just like they were supposed to be, but all the pictures she had been editing, no longer had edits associated with them, they were just the original picture. Now in LR until you save and edited picture it is still the original picture and LR "remembers the edits" somehow, this is the part I need help with, where can I find the edits on light room or the hard drive they have to be somewhere. LR had to save the progress somewhere as when you would open LR the next day you could continue to edit right where you left off. So to be very clear, I have my catalog, the edits are gone and that is what I need help with.

• 5. Re: Lightroom completely empty
                  maryc24869137 Level 1

also I would like to know what may have caused this to happen so I can make sure whatever it was doesn't happen again, I have no clue why a program would "dump" the files into the recycle and clear it's own history basically

• 6. Re: Lightroom completely empty
                    dj_paige Level 9

I don't know what happened. I don't have an explanation that fits your report. Except space aliens.

If I were you, I'd do the search again using the operating system's search feature to find .LRCAT files and open them to double check., because the alternative isn't pretty. If you can't find a catalog file which shows your photos and contains the edits, then I believe the edits are gone.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Lightroom completely empty
                      maryc24869137 Level 1

This is the actual Photographer,  I guess this is really my fault since I didn't double check to ensure everything was backing up as I thought it was.  "Space aliens" as a response is super irritating considering I was backing up all my precious time to links that never saved a thing.  Lesson learned I should just do everything the old fashioned way and put it on a disk once a week or so but since i used light room for almost two years I had more faith in the program than this. Disappointed in light room and disappointed in light-room support.     luckily the only one who lost out was me.