6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 4:50 AM by john beardsworth

XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?

MichelBosma

I've just exported all my original files from Aperture so I can use them in Lightroom. While exporting the files from Aperture I've also made XMP sidecar files.

Now I've imported everything in Lightroom and to my surprise non of the JPEG files has a rating on it. I know not all metadata can be handled by Lightroom esspecialy the adjustments made by Aperture, but I would have liked arbitrary value's such as a rating to be taken over from the files. After some research I found out that one of my RAW files (CR2 canon file) did have a rating, so this is very strange.

So now for my real question, can I force Lightroom to look at the XMP files for the JPEG pictures? Or is there a plugin to do this? It would be a great addition to Lightroom aswel if this could be just a user selectable option.

Thanks in advance for your time!

• 1. Re: XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't think there's a way to force Lightroom to read .xmp files for JPGs.

I think you might be able to use something like the freeware EXIFTool to write the information from the .xmp file into the JPG file itself, and then Lightroom will read it.

• 2. Re: XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is handling these sidecar files correctly - as a publicly documented file type, Jpegs shouldn't have sidecar files.

It may be best to take a step back. Is there a reason why you haven't used Lightroom's import plugin to bring your Aperture library into the catalogue? Also, note that Aperture can save metadata directly into the files.

• 3. Re: XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?
              MichelBosma Level 1

I tried loading up my aperture library via lightroom but that didn't work as it crashed a few times.

After some reading on the internet I thought this would be the best way to go.

I would have all my original files and I could load the metadata with it (not knowing it would only work on RAW files)

Maybe now I will just seperate my aperture library year for year and import that via Lightroom hoping that will work.

• 4. Re: XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You can't open an Aperture Library in LR. Two different program with 2 different Library systems.

Find a .(that's a DOT)Photolibrary file. It is actually an Apple Mac Package folder. Right click on it and select Show Package Contents. Then look for a folder called Masters. In that Masters folder you will find all your original images.

• 5. Re: XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Also JPGs don't use XMP sidecar files.

If you are seeing XMP files next to JPG files it was some program that created them to store that programs edits in. Only that program can read those XMP files.

• 6. Re: XMP file for JPEG files are ignored?
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MichelBosma wrote:

I tried loading up my aperture library via lightroom but that didn't work as it crashed a few times.

Depends what you mean my "loading up". Lightroom has a command File > Plugin Extras > Import from Aperture Library which is the best way to do the job.

Alternatively, Aperture's Metadata > Write IPTC to Original will save keywords etc back to the files. Aperture's File > Relocate Originals can then put any managed files (ie photos inside the Aperture library) into regular Finder folders and you could then import into Lightroom from them. I've a lot more info here.