4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 6:37 PM by Just Shoot Me

Half of Lightroom Catalog Disappeared

adripendleton

Hi all. Yesterday I clicked the "import from another catalog" command in LR, and imported some photos from my 2015 catalog. This was my first time ever doing this, I usually just switch catalogs to make changes to older pictures.
      After I did this, about half of my pictures, folders, and subfolders from my current(2016) catalog disappeared - all or most of them are newer ones.
      So far, I have tried: restarting Lightroom, restarting my computer, opening a different catalog then going back to the current(2016) one, restarting Lightroom again...I also went to the folder in my hard drive where I have all my Lightroom folders, and went into the "backups" folder. The most recent backup shown is from 4 months ago - and I know for a fact that I've backed it up multiple times since 4 months ago! I back up Lightroom every week.

All my work from the last several months has vanished into thin air. What is going on?!

Also, this is what happened just now when I tried to import pictures that I took today...

Untitled.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Half of Lightroom Catalog Disappeared
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Go to the File menu then Open Recent. Do you see more than one catalog listed? Open each one to check them.

In all honesty LR works best when using One Catalog for all your images. Then both you and LR don't get confused as to what images are in what catalog.

From the Error that is in your screen shot it seems you might have a problem, corruption, in the current 2016 LR catalog file. Try expanding, Un-Zipping, the most current backup of the 2016 catalog (Which should be no older than one week. That is unless you changed the default behavior of the LR catalog backup system) and see if everything is OK.

If the catalog did get corrupted then you need to start looking at a possible hardware problem.

• 2. Re: Half of Lightroom Catalog Disappeared
            dj_paige Level 9

adripendleton wrote:

After I did this, about half of my pictures, folders, and subfolders from my current(2016) catalog disappeared - all or most of them are newer ones.

How did you determine things disappeared? Did you click on All Photographs and then use one of Lightroom's search tools? Or did you do something else?

You might want to use your operating system's search feature to search all disks for all files that contain the characters .LRCAT in the file name.

I agree that in the future you would be much better off keeping things in one catalog, instead of doing actual work to create separate catalogs and then additional work to move from catalog to catalog.

• 3. Re: Half of Lightroom Catalog Disappeared
              adripendleton Level 1

Going through "open recent" worked! Thank you so much!

• 4. Re: Half of Lightroom Catalog Disappeared
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

adripendleton wrote:

Going through "open recent" worked! Thank you so much!

You're welcome.

This is the problem of having more than 1 catalog.

It is fine have a second catalog on a notebook computer that you use when at a shoot. Then Exporting that catalog As A Catalog and then importing it to your main working catalog.

But having multiple catalog on your main work computer is just confusing, as you have found out.

That is why LR includes both Keywords and collection to separate images into categories. And then storing your images in some type of folder structure that you create.