4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 9:41 AM by jamiemcgee

*-+/ No longer work in Comp settings numeric values input

jamiemcgee Level 1

If I type 2000/2 in Comp settings Width it used to give me the correct value =1000

Since the update it stays at 2000?

Same is true with +,*,-

The ability to input numbers using sums is often invaluable?

jm

• 1. Re: *-+/ No longer work in Comp settings numeric values input
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

There is a bug in After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8) where math equations in numerical input fields in dialog boxes are not evaluated. Instead, non-numerical characters like +, -, *, or / are not recognized and will limit the input for the string. (- is recognized when negative values are acceptable.) ex., "2*2" will result in a value of 2 instead of 4.

This problem only occurs in dialog boxes with numerical input fields, like the Composition Settings or Solid Settings dialogs, or a keyframe value dialog (ex., Position value dialog).

This problem does not occur in numerical input fields in panels, where math input is supported (not all input fields support math), such as the Timeline panel or Effect Controls panel.

Apologies for the bug. We are investigating.

UPDATE 2016-06-28:

The developers investigating this problem have given me a workaround: after you enter the math equation, instead of exiting the input field by clicking or pressing Tab, press the = (equals) key. This will cause the math to be evaluated while staying in the input field.

This also works in previous versions of After Effects. We are continuing to investigate a fix that restores evaluation when you exit the field.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: *-+/ No longer work in Comp settings numeric values input
            jamiemcgee Level 1

Thanks for the update. Nice to know you guys are on it.

jm

• 3. Re: *-+/ No longer work in Comp settings numeric values input
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

I've added the following workaround to my reply above:

The developers investigating this problem have given me a workaround: after you enter the math equation, instead of exiting the input field by clicking or pressing Tab, press the = (equals) key. This will cause the math to be evaluated while staying in the input field.

This also works in previous versions of After Effects. We are continuing to investigate a fix that restores evaluation when you exit the field.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: *-+/ No longer work in Comp settings numeric values input
                jamiemcgee Level 1

Great thank you for the workaround. I had never realised the = worked as well!