5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 8:08 AM by Rick Gerard

Horizontal lines on progressive scan (impossible to fix)?

antonio_1986

Hi everyone. I'm new on the forum and I'm a newbie. I have a H264/AVC (1280x720p 25fps) video with progressive scan. The video presents some annoying horizontal lines and I cannot fix it. The lines are present only during the motion, and not in static scene. I tried hundred of times (deinterlace , convert, change frame rate etc) and for day and day, with other software and premiere pro, but nothing. Now I'm trying with AE. So, I would know if After Effect can help me to fix this problem. Maybe a tutorial for a newbie (like me) can help...

I wait for a your answer and sorry for bad english.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Horizontal lines on progressive scan (impossible to fix)?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can we seen an example of what you're talking about?

• 2. Re: Horizontal lines on progressive scan (impossible to fix)?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The lines could be interlacing. They could be compression artifacts. Post a screenshot of your project with the footage selected in the Project panel so we can see the settings, the footage in a timeline with all modified properties of the layer revealed (press the u key twice) and the Magnification factor set to 100% and the resolution set to Auto, then move the comp panel around so we can see the problem areas. Print screen if you are on a PC then paste into the reply field on this forum or Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 on a Mac to save a screenshot to your desktop and drag it to the reply field so we can see what's going on.

If it's interlacing you can fix the problem a bit by properly separating fields. If it is compression artifacts then you are out of luck.

• 3. Re: Horizontal lines on progressive scan (impossible to fix)?
              antonio_1986 Level 1

Hello. I tried to make a screenshoot of the movie and Adobe After Effect. Image 3.jpg

Image 9.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Image 5.jpg

Image 6.jpg

I remember you I'm a super newbie. Adobe AE, in this case, is italian. Res is 1280x720p, framerate 25fps, AR (16:9), but there are a lot of horizontal lines. This horizontal lines are present only during a fast motion scene (static or low motion scenes doesn't present lines).

However, how can I separate the fields?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Horizontal lines on progressive scan (impossible to fix)?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If that truly is progressive footage, somebody along the way baked interlacing into it and you may be a bit screwed.

However, try looking in the interpret footage dialog and choosing upper field first instead of progressive and see if that helps.

• 5. Re: Horizontal lines on progressive scan (impossible to fix)?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open Interpret Footage from the Project Panel with the footage selected. Check Separate Fields...

Without third party software that's the best you are going to get. You can check for proper field interpretation by temporarily doubling the frame rate of the comp and making sure that the motion is all in the same direction. If you have fields reversed then one frame will have motion going in one direction and the next frame going in the other.

You can decide to work at double the frame rate (actually gives you a little more data to work with) and then drop the completed comp in a new standard comp for rendering making sure to turn on Collapse Transformations and pixel motion frame blending to get your best results.