4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 3:10 PM by gwenw86950699

InDesign update 2015.4 performance issue

YingRed Level 1

I hope this isn't a duplicate question. I've done a search in the forum and nothing has come up regarding general performance.

I am getting very slow performance with InDesign 2015.4 after updating last night. When I scroll around a catalog file, a message at the very bottom next to the Preflight "No errors" shows "Reading [Image name]" comes up constantly and every time I go to a different page. This happens when the GPU is enabled and disabled. And for some reason, my drop shadow coordinates are way off. I'll disable and reapply the drop shadow and it looks fine until I go to another page and return to the page with the drop shadows and they reappear incorrectly, again.

I am on a late 2015 iMac, Retina 5K

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

OS X El Capitan

"Reading [Image name]"

InDesign June 2015 Reading Images.jpg

Drop shadow Issue

Drop Shadow Issue-1.jpg

• 1. Re: InDesign update 2015.4 performance issue
          [Ravi Kiran] Adobe Employee

The default Display Performance setting in ID CC 2015.4 has been changed to High Quality (earlier it used to be Typical by default). This setting causes the images to be displayed at their full fidelity and this is what is happening when you see the 'Reading Image' at the bottom of the document window. For the images in your document, it happens the first time you open a document and navigate to a page containing images. On subsequent navigation to the same page(s) this does not happen as the images are cached and are rendered quickly at high quality.

The Drop Shadow coordinates should not change because of this setting, so can't say why that is happening. Would like to take a look. I've sent you a DM.

Thanks,

Ravi Kiran

Adobe InDesign team

• 2. Re: InDesign update 2015.4 performance issue
            YingRed Level 1

This also seemed to have fixed the Drop Shadow issue as well.

Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: InDesign update 2015.4 performance issue
              shaggy3

I'm having a similar issue, where placed images, no matter their size, are extreamly slow to render. And it continues to happen on the same page (just scrolling up and down) and on previous pages that I've already viewed. So, scrolling through a document causes InDesign to continuously churn and beachball. I'm stuck with a deadline and I can not work. Please help.

Note: I've restarted InDesign. Restarted my machine. And reinstalled InDesign. I thought I was installing the previous version, but during the install it updates to the latest version, 2015.4.

Now, here's another curve ball. If I click out of InDesign, say to the finder, I can hover over the InDesign document, without going into it, and scroll through the pages perfectly. Hi-res and all. As soon as I click into it, the re-rendering happens.

Please, please help.

John

• 4. Re: InDesign update 2015.4 performance issue
                gwenw86950699 Level 1

Having a similar issue with  "Reading [Image name]" coming up constantly and every time I go to a different page." or move around on the same page. I have checked the defaults, trying them at typical and High Quality, as well having the interface "Live Drawing" set at never, delayed or Immediate with the same behaviour.