7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 1:14 PM by angied12641401

ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now

angied12641401

I'm really confused as to why, in the latest release of ACR in CC, the Distortion Correction slider (which used to be located within the Upright menu in ACR, has now been separated from Upright. Upright has been moved, and I get that, but why not move distortion correction with it? I shoot real estate and often need to make small adjustments. Previous to the most recent update, I used Upright, then fine tuned with Distortion correction- they were all right there together. Now I have to go to Upright, make my corrections, go to the Lens correction tab and correct distortion there, then go back to Upright to use the Scale slider. They created extra steps for me and I'm really bummed and wish I hadn't updated.

Is there any shortcut to make this work faster/more efficiently? Can I roll back to the previous version? How?

• 1. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lens corrections are now separated from perspective corrections. 

Distortion (bulge or pinch the middle) corrects a lens issue.  Upright corrects for perspective issues.

I think you’re saying you want things in the order you’re using them, not separated by type of correction.

I’m curious why you need to make distortion tweaks:  Does your lens not have a lens profile or is the lens profile not working well enough?

• 2. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now
            angied12641401 Level 1

I import multiple photos using "Load Files into Stack", because it is a fast way to import multiple photos into multiple layers. When I then open the Camera Raw filter, I do not have access to Lens Profile corrections. The tab isn't even there. The only way I can get to Lens Profile corrections in ACR is to open each photo, individually, as Camera Raw. If there's a better way (without using Lightroom) to load multiple photos as layers without disabling the Lens profile corrections, I would sure love to know it. I only do it that way because that's how I was taught.

My workflow is: Load Files into stack. Edit files individually and manually blend with masks and opacity. Flatten the layers. Apply lens corrections/perspective corrections to the final, flattened image.

I'm just frustrated because now that Upright is separated from Lens Corrections (distortion) it creates extra steps for me.

As far as my lens is concerned, I am using a Canon 17-40 and at 17mm it can be a bit distorted. Also, as a real estate photographer, I need all vertical lines to be perfectly vertical. I usually get very close to that in camera, but I do sometimes need to apply corrections, and when shooting at 17mm I have to apply distortion correction.

• 3. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now

When I then open the Camera Raw filter, I do not have access to Lens Profile corrections. The tab isn't even there.

Lens Profile Corrections are (mostly) only applicable to Raw files and photos opened into PS are not raw, anymore.

Why aren't you applying the Lens Profile Corrections on the way into PS, when the images are still raw and pass through the Camera Raw plug-in, or are they JPGs from the camera and you're relying on in-camera lens corrections?

• 4. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now
                angied12641401 Level 1

I am working on RAW files.

As I stated in my first reply, when photos are imported into photoshop via "Load Files Into Stack" I cannot apply profile corrections. If there is another way to import several RAW files into photoshop as layers, without going through Lightroom first - then I would be happy to do it another way.

• 5. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now
                  angied12641401 Level 1

After some research and experimenting, I think I can open multiple files in Camera Raw (which I didn't know you could do without Bridge) and apply my lens profile corrections to all of them at that time. Then close Camera Raw and import the lens corrected photos via "Load Files into Stack". It's still an extra step, but doesn't feel as cumbersome as going back and forth between the Lens Correction tab and the new Upright.

Unless someone has a better idea, I guess I have answered my own question.

• 6. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now

You can just set your ACR Defaults to have Enable Profile Corrections checked so you don't have to go to ACR before opening in PS.

• 7. Re: ACR Upright and Distortion Correction separated now
                      angied12641401 Level 1

Thank you. I will try that.