2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 5:14 AM by Luke Jennings2

Interactive PDF prompts that notify users to download reader

brandonr86357264

I am making interactive pdfs for my class and want to distribute this to a large amount of users. It's very basic and includes some audio icons that have embedded audio. Many of these students didn't know to use reader or acrobat initially and I was wondering if there is a prompt that I can embed into the document so upon download users know to use reader or acrobat?

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF prompts that notify users to download reader
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The problem is, that you don't know, which reader they are using initially. Only Adobe Acrobat on a Desktop Computer will offer a reliable preview and working interactivity.

Any method to initiate such an allert would fail on many readers. You can try to use a hidden layer with that information, because many of non-Adobe-Readers show hidden layers, but not all of them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Interactive PDF prompts that notify users to download reader
            Luke Jennings2 Level 1

Just include a message on the first page of your document to download and install the free Adobe Reader and include the URL.

Many programs that will open PDF will also recognize a URL and convert it to a link by default, effectively creating a button.

In the message, explain the benefit of always using Reader or Acrobat to view PDfs and how to make them their default PDF reader.

You might also consider using the Publish online feature, where you can include a PDF to download as well as a message about using Reader & Acrobat.

1 person found this helpful