3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 11:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Layered slices - how to do?

bunner bob Level 1
      I frequently find myself making two slices for a graphic page header. One slice for the whole header, including logo, and another smaller slice that's just the logo. The bigger slice can have a slightly lower quality, and I can opt for a higher quality on the logo slice. In HTML/CSS I use the bigger slice as background for a div and position the logo within it (usually using absolute positioning), and then wrap a link tag around it to link back to the site's index page.

In my previous workflow using ImageReady I could define these two nested or concentric slices. First draw the outer one. Then turn it off (using the eyeball). Then draw the inner one. Then just turn on whichever one I want to export, export that one, then hide it and show the other, and export that one. Neither slice would affect the other.

In Fireworks on the other hand, when I draw a slice within another slice, then deactivate the inner slice and attempt to export the bigger outer slice, it gets chopped up into pieces by the inner slice. In other words, even though I have hidden the inner slice, it is still affecting the containing slice.

What's the workaround for this? Do I use a separate state or page? I'm new to FW so excuse my ignorance :)

- Bob
        • 1. Re: Layered slices - how to do?
          Level 7
          bunner bob wrote:
          > I frequently find myself making two slices for a graphic page header. One slice
          > for the whole header, including logo, and another smaller slice that's just the
          > logo. The bigger slice can have a slightly lower quality, and I can opt for a
          > higher quality on the logo slice. In HTML/CSS I use the bigger slice as
          > background for a div and position the logo within it (usually using absolute
          > positioning), and then wrap a link tag around it to link back to the site's
          > index page.
          >
          > In my previous workflow using ImageReady I could define these two nested or
          > concentric slices. First draw the outer one. Then turn it off (using the
          > eyeball). Then draw the inner one. Then just turn on whichever one I want to
          > export, export that one, then hide it and show the other, and export that one.
          > Neither slice would affect the other.
          >
          > In Fireworks on the other hand, when I draw a slice within another slice, then
          > deactivate the inner slice and attempt to export the bigger outer slice, it
          > gets chopped up into pieces by the inner slice. In other words, even though I
          > have hidden the inner slice, it is still affecting the containing slice.
          >
          > What's the workaround for this? Do I use a separate state or page? I'm new to
          > FW so excuse my ignorance :)
          >
          > - Bob
          >

Layered slicing is not available in FW. Best to use a new page.

HTH

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
          ---
          • 2. Re: Layered slices - how to do?
            bunner bob Level 1
            Thanks Jim - been watching your Lynda classes on Fireworks. Good stuff!
            • 3. Re: Layered slices - how to do?
              Level 7
              bunner bob wrote:
              > Thanks Jim - been watching your Lynda classes on Fireworks. Good stuff!
              Thanks very much! :-)

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
              ---