10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2016 7:16 AM by dj_paige

Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive

gregnm Level 1

I use Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 on a Mac. I recently came close to running out of storage so bought a new larger external drive. My goal was to move everything over to it - it's a RAID drive so I wanted the redundancy. Initially I made the mistake of copying the old file structure over from my internal disk where most if not all of the old structure resided using Finder rather than within Lightroom.  I tried to address it through Lightroom which of course didn't work.  I backed out of it by deleting the drive from Lightroom, then I deleted all the files from the new drive using Finder. Next I reconnected the drive to Lightroom and tried to do a correct move to the new drive. About 10,000 files moved over just fine, 4,000 didn't. For the most part the ones that didn't move are older jpgs.  I tried moving the folders over individually and the pictures individually to no avail.  I went back to those folders on the Mac and could see that they existed but they won't move within Lightroom. I don't get the question marks which would indicate a simple broken link.  It seems to think the photos and folders already exist and so are duplicates, even though they don't and aren't.  I unchecked the box to prevent moving suspected duplicates but it didn't help. I get a variety of error messages depending on how I've tried to go about it, the simplest of which is one that just says the files can't be moved with a list of the files that haven't moved. It's not a thumbnail issue because I can open them from their original location through Lightroom and also through Finder outside of Lightroom.

Any ideas?

- Greg

• 1. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When attempting to move an entire photo library from one hard drive to another, you would be better advised to use Finder. I would recommend that you copy your entire photo folder structure to the new hard drive. Ideally, you will have all of your photos contained within one "master" folder with numerous subfolders. After you have copied everything to the new hard drive, go into Lightroom and right-click on the topmost "master" folder and choose the option to update the folder location. Then you will be able to point Lightroom to the master folder on the new hard drive. All of the subfolders will then be recognized on new hard drive as well. After you have verified that everything is working as it should, you can delete the files from your main hard drive.

Using Finder or Explorer (Windows) seems to be a much more reliable method to use when moving large quantities of images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
            gregnm Level 1

Thanks very much for your help. I more or less followed your instructions. I was so far down the rabbit hole that I ended up using a kind of hybrid approach. First, using Finder I moved all the files into the right folders on the new drive and then synchronized the folders within Lightroom.  It worked pretty well although I ended up with a significant number of duplicates. Cleaning those out is proving tedious but an opportunity to discard with abandon the stuff I'll never refer back to again.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm glad you seem to be getting things sorted out. But if you had just copied your images to the new hard drive you shouldn't have had to deal with a lot of duplicates.

• 4. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

"synchronized the folders"

This is probably where you went wrong.

Your image files were already in the catalog. You just needed to tell LR where you moved them to by doing a "relocate" or "find missing" on the top-most folder in the Folders panel.

• 5. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                  gregnm Level 1

I’m back. I managed to clear out my pictures and confirm that I’ve got everything to the extent I could. But I’ve still got a nagging problem. I can’t move or delete quite a few of my generally older photos.  I can move their folders around but not the individual photos. Generally in any folder that has some problem photos, all of them are undeletable & unmovable. I’ve checked the file structure in Finder and found it to be correct and I am able to move files around within the operating system.  In Lightroom I can access the files normally, edit them, export them, etc. I just can’t delete or move them.

Might I have a faulty setting or preference assigned to these particular files? Something else? 

Help appreciated. Sorry to be so needy but this one has me stumped.

• 6. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                    dj_paige Level 9

If you can't seem to move photos, this suggests that the permissions in your operating system for the folders (not photos) involved are not properly set. You need to have WRITE permission on both the current folder that contains the photos, and the folder that you are trying to move the photos into.

• 7. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                      gregnm Level 1

As much as I'd like it to have been changing the permissions for the folders to have been the solution, it wasn't. I set both the source and destination folders to 'Read and Write' for all of the three users identified (Me, Staff, Everyone). There was no change in the ability to move files.

Other ideas?  Could this be a corrupted Catalog that thinks things aren't where they seem to be and therefore won't allow what seem to be correct moves to happen. I hope not.

• 8. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                        dj_paige Level 9

Corrupt catalogs would not open. So that's not the problem.

Alternative: move the photos in your operating system, and reconnect in Lightroom.

• 9. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                          susanOutlander

During a recent call to the helpdesk, the lrcat file folders were created and installed onto my external hard drive.  After the call, I disconnected my laptop from my external hard drive, and realized very quickly that without still being connected to the EHD, I could no longer use Lightroom.  Can I (and do I follow the instructions above) copy those files onto my laptops hard drive or move them, without interfering with where all my photos are stored (which IS on my EHD).

Help!

• 10. Re: Files on old drive won't transfer to new drive
                            dj_paige Level 9

Can I (and do I follow the instructions above) copy those files onto my laptops hard drive or move them, without interfering with where all my photos are stored (which IS on my EHD).

If you mean the Lightroom catalog file, yes you can move it to your hard disk (it is best to place it in an empty folder) and then double-click on it to open it. (By the way, even if you move your catalog file to an external HD, you can still use Lightroom, it will create a new empty catalog on your internal HD)

If you are talking about the photos, you would have to move the photos using your operating system and then in Lightroom reconnect as explained here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders