7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 2:40 PM by JimHess

Moving folder to archive catalog

mlivey

I currently have my main LR Catalog on my internal mac drive. I would like to start moving the images/folders to an archive catalog on an external drive. What is the best, most efficient way of doing this to ensure everything is copied correctly.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Are you looking to use a separate "archive" catalog (not necessarily recommended)?

Or are you just looking to move the older images off the internal drive to an external drive to free up space on the internal drive?

To just move the image files, exit LR, use Finder to drag and drop the whole folders you want to move, then in LR go to the Library module, Folders panel, right-click on the folder(s) you moved and tell LR where you moved it to ("find missing" or "relocate"). Moving large numbers of files is best done OUTSIDE of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would leave the catalog on your main hard drive. Hopefully, you have all of your image folders organized within one main holder. You can have as many subfolders within that main folder as you want. The most reliable way to move images is to use your system browser (Finder-Mac, File Explorer-Windows) and first of all copy all of the images to the new hard drive. If they are all within one main folder you can just copy the main folder and everything else will go as well. Once the copy process is completed, in Lightroom right-click on the main folder and choose to update the folder location. Then you will be able to point Lightroom to the images on the external hard drive. After you have verified that everything is functioning properly you can delete the images from your main hard drive.

I'm assuming that your main goal is to get the images off from your main hard drive. It isn't clear what you mean by an archive catalog. Archive usually implies something for storage that is not being used in normal production. At least that is how I see it. And, are you talking about an archive catalog or an image archive? They are different. The catalog does not contain images. It only contains references to where the images are located and the adjustments that you have made using Lightroom. It would be good if you could more clearly define what it is you are trying to accomplish.

• 3. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog
              mlivey Level 1

Thanks ManicJoe. Can you explain why it's not a good idea to have a separate archive catalog? I was planning to use an archive catalog to store my projects that I don't need to access all the time and then back this up regularly. I would then use the main catalog on my mac to process current work. I'm keen to limit the size of the main catalog.

Apologies for my ignorance, I've moved over from Aperture.

• 4. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog

There is no need to limit the size of the main catalog. It is only a database, it doesn't contain the images. If you move older projects: archive catalog thing you have to remember which projects are in which catalog. If you leave everything in a single catalog everything is accessible and usable at all times. If you have Lightroom scheduled to back up the catalog on a regular basis, and then you have another plan in place to back up your images, that's really all you need.

• 5. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog
                  mlivey Level 1

Thanks Jim. That all makes sense. So no real limit for LR Catalogs? For instance a 500k image library doesn't slow down the processing stage?

• 6. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

There are several ways to have all images in one catalog, Archive some of images you don't need on your internal drive to an external drive (and keep them in the main catalog), Separate images by client, date shot, Subject, whatever you like.

You can separate images using Keywords and or collections along with building some type of drive Folder structure for storing all your images.

The number of images in the LR catalog has no affect on the overall speed of LR. The LR catalog file is just a Database file.

• 7. Re: Moving folder to archive catalog

mlivey wrote:

Thanks Jim. That all makes sense. So no real limit for LR Catalogs? For instance a 500k image library doesn't slow down the processing stage?

That is correct. The main thing you want to do is develop a strategy for organizing your images within that one catalog. Folders, collections, keywords, these are all tools for organizing your images. Your images can be spread over multiple hard drives. Just make sure that you have a backup of your images. And it's best if the backup of the catalog is on a separate drive from your main hard drive if that is where your catalog is located.

1 person found this helpful