31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 7:05 AM by Laubender

GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

oleh.melnyk Level 3

I have a problem: when I export PDF with gradient text – in Adobe Acrobat everything looks ok, but in online viewers, like Dropbox or sites like issue or joomag or any other PDF viewers that works in the browser – this gradient text became either black or gray. So I need to manually find this text and make outlines – then everything works as expected.

so I’d like to have a script with just 3 buttons: [<< find previous] [convert to outlines] [find next >>]
      or is there a better workaround for this problem?

cross reference: http://indesignsecrets.com/topic/gradient-text-to-outlines

• 1. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Oleh,

the cause of the problem with Non-Adobe Reader based viewers should be more examined.

What could help is:

Use PDF version 1.2 or 1.3.

Use sRGB only. No spot colors allowed, no mixed inks.

That can be done either with:

InDesign at output with appropriate settings.

or with: Acrobat Pro's Preflight functions

Or:

Print to PostScript or export to EPS with the option "Simulate Overprint".

Distill to PDF.

Change all colors to sRGB with Acrobat Distiller and/or Acrobat Pro.

Converting text frames on the page to outlines with inDesign is never a good idea.

I think, you don't need a script.

Regards,
          Uwe

• 2. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
            oleh.melnyk Level 3

Hi Uwe,

Yes, I agree that outlined text is a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure that the problem is not in PDF itself or at any settings, but in online / browser PDF viewers, that still don't know how to show gradient on text, so it uses default black color instead...

Let me explain in greater details how to reproduce the issue:

1) create text paragraph in InDesign, apply gradient color

Gradient bug -step 1.jpg

2) export as "Interactive PDF"

Gradient bug -step 2.jpg

3) open exported PDF on desktop PDF viewers to ensure everything shows just as expected

Gradient bug -step 3.jpg

Adobe Acrobat DC - everything is ok here!

4) upload PDF to dropbox / upload to sites like issuu.com or joomag.com (looks like joomag already fixed that problem - Gradient Bug ) or any other - the problem everywhere is the same - gradient text on browser / smart devices like iPhone / iPad / etc. appears black. Not so far ago the same problem was when you just drag-n-drop PDF to the browser window - but on the latest versions of Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Opera, YandexBrowser, Maxthon and Vivaldi browsers seems to fix that old bug! But Nightly Firefox version 50.0a1 (2016-06-27) still have that issue - but instead of showing text as black it shows only one (first) of the gradient colors

Firefox Nightly 50.0a1 (2016-06-27).jpg

Gradient text in Firefox Nightly

So, the problem is that when I send PDF files for review via Dropbox, or when my clients upload final PDF to issuu.com or other sites or if they have older browser versions - they see gradient text as black, and sometimes, since this text might be on the dark background - text becomes unreadable! That's why I manually find gradient text and outline it before exporting to the online PDF to solve this problem, but my clients still need to download PDF from the dropbox to properly view it on desktop during review sessions, which is bad, since they should be able to see it "as is" and without those "bells&wisles", I guess...

PS: looks like the same issue reported in GitHub for PDF.js > Text colored with a gradient fill renders as gray/black. · Issue #5432 · mozilla/pdf.js · GitHub so I'm not the only one who suffers - this issue was reported in 2014 and it still present!

• 3. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
              Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

For what it's worth, what about publish ?

Capture d’écran 2016-06-28 à 12.20.24.png

Capture d’écran 2016-06-28 à 12.20.34.png

Capture d’écran 2016-06-28 à 12.20.40.png

And the result :

https://indd.adobe.com/view/a01b3475-4a98-49d9-918a-60472ea95d26

• 4. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                oleh.melnyk Level 3

yes, this might help for reviews, but once everything is done, and client upload final PDF to let's say issuu.com so subscribers can read it from there and I still need to do something...

already reported this bug to the Dropbox team, and writing bug report for issuu.com. Firefox next...

PS: Just noticed that gradient looks ok in Safari for issuu.com

• 5. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                  Pickory Level 3

Hi,

I don't think it is a DropBox or issuu problem. It is the reader software.

P.

• 6. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                    oleh.melnyk Level 3

sure it's reader / render problem, but joomag renders it's fine - Gradient Bug (and few month ago they had the same problem)

Safari on macOS Sierra renders PDF on issuu.com fine, but Firefox on mac renders black!

On Windows 10 - Firefox and Vivaldi render gradient text on issuu fine, but Chrome, Edge, YandexBroser, Maxthon - renders this text as black

When you open PDF in browser (like open with ... OR drag-n-drop PDF to the browser) - Chrome, Edge, Yandex, Maxthon, Opera, Vivaldi renders gradient ok, and only Firefox can't handle it and show only the first color from the gradient

that's why dropbox and issuu should do something with their PDF rendering engine, like joomag, to make it work... and till then - I need a script to find and outline gradient text

• 7. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                      Pickory Level 3

Looks like joomag need the pdf export to their specification.

Here is a link to their preset.

Exporting from InDesign to Joomag - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

P.

• 8. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                        oleh.melnyk Level 3

actually, joomag is the one that works ok, I have uploaded the same PDF to dropbox, issuu and joomag and only joomag renders it correctly...

also, I noticed that some browsers, that do show gradient text, like Safari on iMac and Chrome on iPad (viewing joomag PDF), rasterise gradient, so jpeg artifacts visible

IMG_0119.PNG

Screenshot from iPad that shows jpeg artifacts

And "Publish online" probably use diffent color mode so it shows colors more vibrant that they should look like, which is not acceptable for magazines I'm working with

Gradient bug - publish online.jpg

Published online - colors is too vivid, at least I can see the difference with what I had in InDesign, and this is unacceptable since my client need to see exactly how colors look during review sessions before we move to print proofs

• 9. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

To be helpful , you could make your gradient text to be 99% opaque. Then you would use a PDF1.3 export so the transparency is flattened during the export process.

As for color accuracy, I think that if you do color convert in PDF settings, the color should look more accurate in publish or Acrobat than any other open source readers.

Loic

• 10. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                            oleh.melnyk Level 3

ok, let me do the first step:

this script works (with an error) - it finds all text with gradient and converts them to outlines. Now need to figure out how to fix an error, and make it work with UI - 3 buttons - search prev, convert to outlines and search next

var gradients = app.activeDocument.gradients;

for(var i=0; i < gradients.length; i++){
                                app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
                                app.findGrepPreferences.fillColor = gradients[i];

var mySearch = app.activeDocument.findGrep();    

if(mySearch.length > 0){        
                                    for(var g=0; g < mySearch.length; g++){            
                                        app.select(mySearch[g].createOutlines()); // this line casue error, probably because of endless loop
                                    }
                                }
                            }

upd: temporary UI

#targetengine:GradientTextToOutlines;

var w = new Window ("palette", "Convert gradient text to outlines");
                            w.alignChildren = ['center', 'top'];
                            w.orientation = "row";
                            w.add ("button", [0,0,36,26], "<<", {name: "Prev"}); //  Previous
                            w.add ("button", [0,0,60,26], "Outline", {name: "Outline"});
                            w.add ("button", [0,0,36,26], ">>", {name: "Next"}); // Next 
                            w.show ();

• 11. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                              oleh.melnyk Level 3

ok, it works, somehow... but it still has bugs, it works very slowly on real files, like a magazine - just because InDesign create and store new gradient color everytime you make any change to the gradient, especially if it's not saved in swatches... and I still need to add "go to selection" somehow, because I don't see what it has found and selected, but it still better than nothing

upd: auto zooming to selection added

#target:indesign;
                              #targetengine:GradientTextToOutlines;

var w = new Window ("palette", "Convert gradient text to outlines");
                              w.alignChildren = ['center', 'top'];
                              w.orientation = "row";
                              var prev = w.add ("button", [0,0,36,26], "<<", {name: "Prev"}); //  Previous
                              var outline = w.add ("button", [0,0,60,26], "Outline", {name: "Outline"});
                              var next = w.add ("button", [0,0,36,26], ">>", {name: "Next"}); // Next 
                              w.show ();

var gradients = app.activeDocument.gradients;

var i = 0;
                              var selection;
                              var mySearch;
                              var element = 0;
                              var flag;

function zoom(){
                                  app.activeWindow.zoomPercentage = 75;
                                  app.activeWindow.zoom(ZoomOptions.fitSpread);    
                              }

next.onClick = function(){

mySearch = app.activeDocument.findGrep();
                                  while(mySearch<1 && i < gradients.length){
                                      i++;
                                  };

if(flag == "prev"){
                                      element = element+2; if(element > --mySearch.length) element = 0;
                                      selection = app.select(mySearch[element++]); 
                                      zoom();
                                      flag = "next";
                                  }    
                                  else if(element < mySearch.length && element >= 0){
                                      selection = app.select(mySearch[element++]); if(element > --mySearch.length) element = 0; 
                                      zoom();
                                  }else{
                                     element = 0;
                                     selection = app.select(mySearch[element++]); 
                                     zoom();
                                  }    
                              }

outline.onClick = function(){
                                  if(!flag){
                                      app.select(mySearch[element++].createOutlines());
                                      zoom();
                                  }
                                  else if(flag == "next"){ 
                                      app.select(mySearch[--element].createOutlines());
                                      zoom();
                                  }
                                  else if(flag == "prev"){
                                      app.select(mySearch[++element].createOutlines());
                                      zoom();
                                  }

if(mySearch.length<2){
                                      i++;
                                  }    
                              }

prev.onClick = function(){    

while(mySearch<1 && i < gradients.length){
                                      i--;
                                  };

if(flag == "next"){
                                      element = element-2; if(element < 0) element = --mySearch.length;
                                      selection = app.select(mySearch[element--]);
                                      zoom();
                                      flag = "prev";
                                  }    
                                  else if(element >= 0 && mySearch.length > element){
                                      selection = app.select(mySearch[element--]);
                                      zoom();
                                      if(element < 0) element = --mySearch.length;
                                  }else{
                                      element = --mySearch.length;
                                      selection = app.select(mySearch[element]);
                                      zoom();
                                  }    
                              }

by the way, dropbox confirmed that they were able to reproduce the problem and have filled a ticket for the team

• 12. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                Pickory Level 3

"by the way, dropbox confirmed that they were able to reproduce the problem and have filled a ticket for the team"

But that implies dropbox are doing some thing to the files. Which doesn't seem right to me.

Any way, glad you are making progress.

P.

• 13. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                  oleh.melnyk Level 3

well yes, dropbox, just as any other viewer need to parse PDF file in order to be able to view it... dropbox show PDF using HTML Canvas. Basically they have a parser, which causes my problem with gradient - I can't be 100% sure, but I think this parser, when it comes to the gradient colors - just don't know (yet) how to apply the color, so it ignores gradient colors and applies default color, which is black...

• 14. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                    Pickory Level 3

I don't believe that is correct. Dropbox just deliver the file, it doesn't care what the file is. Your browser, or reading application does the interpretation of the file.

Welcome to the world of browser / reader incompatibilities.

P.

• 15. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                      oleh.melnyk Level 3

too bad, because I already wrote at least two times that for example when I open PDF in built-in Google Chrome PDF viewer - it renders gradient text correctly, and when I open same PDF in dropbox or issuu - text becomes black, which means that dropbox and issue use their own PDF parser, which is different from what is built-in browser...

Same thing with Firefox: it shows gradient text in issuu, but dropbox in Firefox shows it black, and when I open PDF using built-in browser PDF viewer - I got yellow text instead of gradient or black - so in Firefox I got 3 different results, which means that each use it's own PDF parser

• 16. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                        Pickory Level 3

Just did a google.

Dropbox and Adobe partnership makes working with PDFs simple | Dropbox Blog

So, is dropbox using some server side stuff to render your pdf?

Didn't know that.

Why would you want to do that. I would like to choose my reader.

I hope you find a good solution to this.

All the best.

P.

• 17. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                          oleh.melnyk Level 3

As far as I know - browser understand only HTML, CSS, js, XML and plain text... in order to be able to show PDF in browser - it needs to be parsed somehow, for example using this js script - GitHub - mozilla/pdf.js: PDF Reader in JavaScript

Also, dropbox and gmail can view PSD and AI files... Same as some other file formats, like Office files, fonts, etc. which is not rendered by the browser.

You asked, why would I want to do WHAT? I'm making magazines and send PDF for review to my clients via dropbox. They open dropbox link and see PDF file in the browser, without needing to download it to the desktop and opening in Adobe Reader / Adobe Acrobat. But, the problem is when I use gradient text in my design - dropbox pdf viewer shows this text as black, and I have to explain to my clients that this is not how it should look, that this is dropbox bug, and that they need to download file and open it in Adobe Reader or something like that... And once the design is ready is ready - my clients upload PDF files to issuu or joomag, and again, the gradient text becomes black... That's why I have outlined that text to preserve gradient colors. But I made it manually, till today...

• 18. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

Hi Oleh,

also check this one here:

XODO PDF Reader & Annotator

Regards,
                                            Uwe

• 19. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

And the technology behind this seems to be PDFNetJS .

You can find an introduction in the YouTube channel of the PDF Association.

PDF Association - YouTube

Scroll a bit down or use this direct link:

Introducing PDFNetJS: the first complete PDF toolkit for the browser - James Borthwick - YouTube

Regards,
                                              Uwe

• 20. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                                oleh.melnyk Level 3

just a quick update: recently I received response from the issuu team:

"...

We have two types of readers, flash reader and html5 reader. If you open the following publication: https://issuu.com/olehmelnyk/docs/gradient_text in browser where flash player is disabled, then you'll get the right result. I have fixed the problem for flash player by rending the publication as bitmap. So now it should look fine in out flash reader as well.

We are working on our new reader product which will replace the current ones. It'll be free of flash player and we'll fix the issue where the publication opens in another window/tab in a non-flash player. Read more about it here:

http://blog.issuu.com/post/145571374118/reader-3

..." - so basically life is getting better now (knowing that dropbox also working on fix, and joomag already have fixed that)

• 21. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

oleh.melnyk wrote:

And "Publish online" probably use diffent color mode so it shows colors more vibrant that they should look like, which is not acceptable for magazines I'm working with

Gradient bug - publish online.jpg

Published online - colors is too vivid, at least I can see the difference with what I had in InDesign, and this is unacceptable since my client need to see exactly how colors look during review sessions before we move to print proofs

I think, you expect too much from a browser's view of PDFs.
                                                  Viewing and corresponding about correct color needs way more.

There are dedicated systems around remote soft proofing in the industry. For example:

CoZone - GMG Color

Regards,
                                                  Uwe

• 22. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                                    oleh.melnyk Level 3

well, I expect to see same colors in InDesign, Acrobat and in Browser and Publish Online...

now compare:

1) screenshot from InDesign - ok

Gradient bug -step 1.jpg

2) screenshot from Adobe Acrobat - ok

Gradient bug -step 3.jpg

3) screenshot from browser (issuu have already fixed problem, dropbox in progress) - ok NOW

Untitled-1.jpg

4) Publish Online - wrong colors - not ok

Gradient+bug+-+publish+online.jpg

- so, do you really think I'm expecting way too much?

• 23. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

Yes.

It's all about color management in browsers.
                                                      And this is your personal system, your monitor that may be calibrated or not.
                                                      Your browser, that is able or not able to use color management. On some elements. Or on all elements.

Your customer's browser can and will show different colors.

Btw.:

With Publish Online it's a totally new game.
                                                      All text that shows up in Publish Online that is editable text in your InDesign document by origin was indeed converted to vector shape SVG outlines and is presented through HTML, CSS and perhaps JavaScript.

Regards,
                                                      Uwe

• 24. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                                        oleh.melnyk Level 3

what calibration are you talking about? lol

can't you see by the screenshot that Publish Online colors is different from what InDesign, Acrobat, and Browser shows, even through issuu and Publish Online works in the same browser... I'm not talking about color accuracy between monitor and printer - I'm talking that my eye can see difference on the same monitor and same browser because Publish Online render colors more vibrant that it should be

• 25. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

Yes. Publish Online is not allowing color management as far as I know.
                                                          And I assume the depicted color will be shown in something like sRGB.

Uwe

• 26. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                                            oleh.melnyk Level 3

Correct! That's why I think Publish Online is unusable, at least for me

• 27. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

With Publish Online there is no output ICC profile that could manage a color simulation of RGB colors as CMYK ones. Even if a browser was able to work with an ICC profile, the browser is getting no profile information so is using its fallback, and that usually is sRGB if you are lucky. If you are not lucky the monitor profile is used. And sitting in front of a modern monitor with a wide gamut RGB display profile will mean: highly oversaturated colors for pure RGB values without an underlying profile.

PDFs viewed with Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro on PCs and Macs, also other PDF viewing softwares can do this ( but not all PDF viewers actually will ). Adobe Reader on an iPad will not do color management. Or at least the last time I checked the situation one year ago, it was not able to do it.

Regards,
                                                              Uwe

• 28. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                                                oleh.melnyk Level 3

just checked - Adobe Reader on iPad renders colors perfectly fine and precise - everything just as expected

IMG_0120.PNG

• 29. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

Thank you for the feedback on Adobe Reader on iPad.

Looks promising. At least it seems sufficient ;-)

Uwe

• 30. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES
                                                                    oleh.melnyk Level 3

I have both Windows PC and iMac, + iPad and iPhone.

Desktops - PC and Mac - are calibrated differently, iPhone and iPad can't be calibrated. And colors look pretty much the same on all devices, wich is acceptable for me and my clients.

But when I see the difference in Publish Online - on the same device - that's a big "No-NO!" for me

• 31. Re: GRADIENT TEXT TO OUTLINES

Not only for you, be assured…

It's pretty clear, that you have to drop Publish Online from your workflow chain.