6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 9:00 PM by carlyl83313531

Sony A6300 raw

carlyl83313531

I have Lightroom 4 and it doesn't recognize the Sony A6300 raw format.  When will it be updated or won't it be?

• 1. Re: Sony A6300 raw
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That camera requires Lightroom 6.5, which is the latest version. Lightroom 4 will never be updated again. You have the choice of upgrading to Lightroom 6 or you can use the free DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your raw files.

• 2. Re: Sony A6300 raw
            carlyl83313531 Level 1

I've tried to dng converter for Lightroom 4 and it doesn't convert my files.  What version works with operating system Mac 10.7.5 and lightroom 4?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Sony A6300 raw

There isn't a DNG converter "for" Lightroom 4. The DNG converter is a standalone program that you use to create DNG copies of your raw files. You need to use DNG converter 9.6, the latest version. It is the only one that will convert the files from your camera. Here's a little video that will help you understand how to use the converter:

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

You might be thinking of the DNG conversion feature that is part of Lightroom. Lightroom can only convert raw files to DNG if it already supports the original raw files. For anything else, such as the situation you are facing, you need to use the standalone DNG converter.

• 4. Re: Sony A6300 raw
                carlyl83313531 Level 1

I'm still not able to convert files with Camera Raw on my Mac 10.7.5.  I get an error message which says "the source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files"  (I am trying different folders)

Next I downloaded camera raw 9.5 for my computer that is running El Capitan and I still get the same error message.  I reviewed the video on Camera Raw, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, 

• 5. Re: Sony A6300 raw

If you have downloaded DNG converter 9.6 and are using it, that is what you need. The common mistake is that in the DNG converter when it prompts you for a folder, you highlight the FOLDER but you don't open the folder. The DNG converter works at the folder level. If you open the folder that contains the raw files you will get the message that you are receiving.

Unless you have Photoshop CC 2015 installed it isn't going to do you any good to download camera raw 9.6. The raw technology is part of the Lightroom program. Lightroom does not use the camera raw plug-in. Maybe you need to watch that video again. Remember: in the DNG converter when you are choosing a source file, you choose the FOLDER. But you don't open the folder.

• 6. Re: Sony A6300 raw
                    carlyl83313531 Level 1

Got it!  My mistake was that I was trying to convert files that were on a back up disk.  I put them on my desktop and they are now reformatting to DNG.

Thanks for your help.