4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 3:37 AM by davidh71440114

Sort is all of a sudden out of whack

davidh71440114

I've been editing a project for a while now and today when I opened it up the files are out of order.  They're sorted by Capture Time but the times are in the wrong place.   They go 5:49, 5:35, 5:50.  Nothing I've done is fixing it.   This project is in a story format so the pictures need to be next to each other correctly when I flip through them so I can get it right.  I've tried re-booting LR and my Mac and nothing changed. 

I've tried editing the time of the photo that is out of order but it doesn't help. 

I only shot with ONE camera, I know most of the issues with Sort have had 2 cameras.

In this shot, 4 and 9 were shot seconds after each other, yet they're not next to each other no what what I do.  None of the metadata changed as far as I can tell.

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 8.57.07 PM.png

All my other imports seem fine, but for some reason this one is messed up all of a sudden.

Thoughts?  It's driving me nuts.

• 1. Re: Sort is all of a sudden out of whack
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You've put 8 and 9 into a stack, with 8 on top.  No matter how you sort, LR will always keep the photos in a stack next to each other, and it will sort by the top photo in the stack (8 in this case).  Unstack 8 and 9, and they should sort properly.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sort is all of a sudden out of whack
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The one odd thing in the screenshot is that the stack-badge on 8 says 3-photos, but only 8 and 9 appear to be in the expanded stack.  Is there a way to expand only one photo out of a stack and keep the other photos in the stack, or is there some bug where the forced sorting has separated one of the 3 photos in the expanded stack away from the other two or perhaps the stack count is adding in some other number besides just the stack count, like a virtual copy?  I don't use stacks all that often so have not had that much experience to understand if there is a legitimate  way to have a 3 would be on an expanded stack of apparently 2 photos.

• 3. Re: Sort is all of a sudden out of whack
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The Library Filter bar is filtering flagged photos.  When you filter an expanded stack, only the matching photos are displayed.  So the third photo in the stack with 8 and 9 must not be flagged.

• 4. Re: Sort is all of a sudden out of whack
                davidh71440114 Level 1

Son of a gun.  Thanks John!  I never use Stacks so that didn't even occur me.  I must have done it by accident at some point when I re-opened the folder.  Time to get back to work!