13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 12:36 PM by Szalam

Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade

himanikev

I'm on a mac, just upgraded to 2015.3, and now, the 2D tracker stalls after, maybe 10 frames or so... "Forward" button still active, but I have to click it, it does maybe 5 to 10 more frames and stalls again. Track is ultimately fine, but this behavior just popped up after the new version installed. Any thoughts? Thanks

Oh, important. This AE project was an export from The new Premier Update, in case that helps. - KK

• 1. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
          Manuel LP Level 3

Here the same. OSX el capitan.

In this case, tracking a feature in a precomp with a video layer stabilized with tracker (position and rotation). The tracker works for a few frames and stop, if you click in stop button and start again, the tracker works for another few frames and stop. Very frustrating.

In previos versión in same situation the tracker worked perfect.

• 2. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of OSX are you guys using? If you're on El Cap, but not on 10.11.5, you should seriously consider updating. There are a number of bugs in earlier versions that affect After Effects.

• 3. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
              himanikev Level 1

10.11.5. Everything worked fine until the CC update.

• 4. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                himanikev Level 1

I'm on 10.11.5. Everything worked fine until the CC update.

• 5. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade

Just to eliminate the possibility that it's something to do with the new version of AE, try tracking that same shot in an older version and see how it behaves. You can have CC 2015 and CC 2014 both installed alongside CC 2015.3 without issue. This page details how to download older versions (every version from CS6 onward is included in your CC subscription).

• 6. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                    Manuel LP Level 3

Yes, 10.11.5 OSX.

• 7. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                      himanikev Level 1

Well, I don't have the older versions installed anymore, and don't want to re-install older versions on this work computer. My workaround has been tracking in CS5, which still tracks ok. However,

I did start a new composition in 2015.3, imported an Apple Prores 222 QT and tried to track. The tracker stalls after 5 to 10 frames...

• 8. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                        himanikev Level 1

Well, I don't have the older versions installed anymore, and don't want to re-install older versions on this work computer. My workaround has been tracking in CS5, which still tracks ok. However,

I did start a new composition in 2015.3, imported an Apple Prores 222 QT and tried to track. The tracker stalls after 5 to 10 frames...

• 9. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade

himanikev wrote:

Well, I don't have the older versions installed anymore, and don't want to re-install older versions on this work computer. My workaround has been tracking in CS5, which still tracks ok.

As long as you have a workaround, that's great.

But it's pretty easy to install the older versions. If I were in your position, I would want CC 2014 on there (updated to 13.2) for sure as it was the latest/greatest version of the old architecture in AE.

AE CC 2015 was the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, as you've noticed, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes it may be easier to use the older version to get a job done.

• 10. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                            himanikev Level 1

Appreciate the input. I'm on hiatus, so I'll make sure my main computer (6 core mac trashcan) will keep the older versions once the new season starts. But for now, the iMac is my "test" computer to see if, and when, I can take the big guy into update land. So I'm happy to keep playing around with the new version for a couple of weeks, since I'm not under the deadline gun... Yet!

And keep up the great work. I've been with AE since version 1.x !   :-)

• 11. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can confirm the bug on a 2011 Mac Mini OS X 10.11.5, 16gb ram AE 2015.3. But it does not happen on a late 2013 MacBookPro R with 32GB ram and the same OS.

Tracking stalls after a few frames but will continue if you press the track button again. The number of frames seems to vary. On one shot that I tracked I had about the first 100 frames stoping every 20 or 30 frames and then the tracker continued without stopping until the end of the clip - about 400 frames.

• 12. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade
                                himanikev Level 1

Version 13.8.1.38   Still stalling. Using DPX frames or QT - Same issue. I have loaded one of my versions of CS5. Ah, the good old days...

• 13. Re: Tracker stalls after 2015.3 upgrade

himanikev wrote:

Version 13.8.1.38 Still stalling. Using DPX frames or QT - Same issue. I have loaded one of my versions of CS5. Ah, the good old days...

I don't know why you'd need to go that far back. I found CS6 to be significantly faster.

CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 are all included in your CC subscription and you can have all of them installed side-by-side without issue. See this page for how to install older versions.