2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 1:20 AM by thomasi10635193

Exporting from PDF to Microsoft Word

thomasi10635193 Level 1

Dear all,

I have a book only as a PDF, the Microsoft Word file seems to be lost. This book is written in Assyrian (using latin alphabet) and has some special letters. When I try to export this PDF (I use Adobe CC 2015), all the special letters are not convert correctly, instead other letters and symbols appears in the document.

I have here 2 pictures to illustrate this, the first one is the correct one, and the one below is the other.. I have tried to export into different file types, Word, rtf.

Is there any solution to this?

Best wishes,
      Tomas

test_1.pngtest_2.png

• 1. Re: Exporting from PDF to Microsoft Word
          Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

Converting from PDF to Word, Excel or any other format is one of the most complex things you can try to do with a PDF file. It works very well in some cases, in other cases the output has very little to do with the original file. The key for success is that the PDF file needs to be "tagged" - which means that it contains information about the information that is displayed in the file. The best way to make sure that a PDF file is tagged correctly is by using the PDFMaker in Acrobat to create the PDF file from Word or Excel (that's the Acrobat ribbon or toolbar).

Unfortunately there is not much you can do to improve the output without spending a lot of time (e.g. by manually tagging the file). Also, if you are using Adobe's ExportPDF service and don't have access to Acrobat, that is not even an option.

What I wrote so far is true even for the straightforward case of just having English text in such a document. With your document, you are dealign with special characters, and that complicates things a bit more.

What you can try is to save the document as TIFF images with a reasonably high resolution (e.g. 600dpi), and then convert these TIFF images back into a PDF file, and then OCR that document. You may end up with a better document to convert to e.g. MS Word from. If the OCR engine in Acrobat is not willing to cooperate with this specific document, you may want to try a dedicated OCR application. For OCR jobs that are too challenging for Acrobat (e.g. two different languages), I keep Abbyy's FineReader around. 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting from PDF to Microsoft Word
            thomasi10635193 Level 1

Dear Karl,

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Best regards

Tomas