22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 9:05 AM by Adam_799

2015.3 update - a step backwards?

grafique

Hi,

OSX 10.11.5 - Imac Retina 32Gb ram

Anyone else think this release is as flaky as hell? Never seen this before?

C

AE--error.jpg

• 1. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's been one of the most solid AE releases for me on my Mac.

What do you have going on in your composition?

And, more importantly, what were you doing right before that message popped up?

• 2. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
            chris dinardo Level 1

Windows 10 version is YET another POS update. Playback is now worse than ever before, slowing me down on a deadline day. Thanks for that! Adobe: if you can't get your act together I'll be leaving your product line for good.

• 3. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
              chris dinardo Level 1

The buggy crap that you have saddled me with has my work at a standstill. If you haven't been forced into this update. DO NOT UPDATE

• 4. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

chris dinardo wrote:

Windows 10 version is YET another POS update. Playback is now worse than ever before, slowing me down on a deadline day. Thanks for that! Adobe: if you can't get your act together I'll be leaving your product line for good.

And I just finished a pretty heavy project Sunday morning at 4 am on my Windows 10 machine without issue - in fact, it works better than previous versions - so it works for some people. If you want help to get it working as well for you as it is for me, let us forum folk help you. Make a thread and share your issues and we can try to help!

Also, CC 2015.3 isn't an update that overrides your older versions (unless you let it). It's pretty much CC 2016, but under a different name (for some unknown stupid reason).

If your older versions were removed and you would rather have CC 2015 or CC 2014 (or even CC or CS6), all of them are included in your subscription and you can install them. Details on installing older versions here.

• 5. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                  chris dinardo Level 1

Great for you -  It is NOT stable on my windows system, I can hardly navigate without lockup, the playback is atrocious, a terrible version. I'm uninstalling and hoping I can roll it back so I'm not up at 4AM fighting Adobe's crap software. I'm so sick of Adobe putting out sub par product. This is not nearly the first time this has happened, and if I do a quick check I'm willing to bet that I'm far from unique with this go around.

• 6. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

chris dinardo wrote:

I'm uninstalling and hoping I can roll it back

It's super-easy to install any/all old versions as far back as CS6 (although, I don't know how well it works on Windows 10). I've got CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 installed alongside one another on my Windows 10 box.

chris dinardo wrote:

Great for you - It is NOT stable on my windows system, I can hardly navigate without lockup, the playback is atrocious,

That sucks! I would hate it if my experience were like that too! Most people I've talked with say they really like CC 2015.3 and that it's working much better for them than any previous CC 2015 release. I know some folks who like it even better than CC 2014! There are a few folks with problems, but you are in a pretty small minority.

I'd recommend you contact Adobe support and let them see if they can figure out the problems so you can start enjoying this release too. Or, at the very least, make a thread here with plenty of technical details so we can try to help you sort it out.

But, yes, in the meantime so you can just get work done, follow that link I gave you and install whatever version works best for you.

• 7. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                      chris dinardo Level 1

Here's the result: It took a couple of hours to download and reinstall the older version, plus the media encoder, plus the updates. Thankfully this didn't trash my DLL libraries like the last version did (had a sweet weekend of reinstalling my system from scratch then playing catchup with my project).

I don't understand why the heck Adobe changed it's naming convention, but that's just an aside

To your comment that I am in a pretty small minority - poke around this forum a bit, search for 2015.3

• 8. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

chris dinardo wrote:

I don't understand why the heck Adobe changed it's naming convention, but that's just an aside

It's extremely frustrating, isn't it?

chris dinardo wrote:

To your comment that I am in a pretty small minority - poke around this forum a bit, search for 2015.3

I have! In fact, if you poke around the forums a bit, you'll notice I've posted in most of the threads on here! I am also a forum leader at the Creative COW After Effects forum. I moderate /r/AfterEffects on Reddit too. I've been active in the After Effects online community in one way or another for over a decade. This forum in particular, is almost always someone posting because they have an issue. Thus it's not a fair place to judge the success of a release unless you've been around it a lot for several release cycles. This release has the fewest widespread work-stopping bugs I've seen in a while.

Does CC 2015.3 have some bugs and issues? Yes, but ones like yours seem to be quite rare. That's why I'm so insistent that I want to help you. It's working for so many people - causing rejoicing in many cases - that I want you to be able to enjoy it too.

• 9. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                          chris dinardo Level 1

A small minority, and quite rare. There are 20 posts from yesterday and today alone (at least on the first page) regarding the bugs in 2015.3. You could chalk that up to a wide user base, but none of those posts are titled" 2015.3 is great!" I appreciate your position that Adobe is putting out a quality product, but I do not see that. I see a rush to market, adding features without repairing the base, and a lack of concern over it's end users. As a freelance artist I cannot survive working with tools that are unreliable and cost me time and clients. The current cycle of time-released newer, shinier, "live" software is incompatible with regular production. Small operators like myself will be unable to keep up with the kind of capital output necessary to maintain software that is only compatible on the newest systems, or vendor - specific systems.

• 10. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

chris dinardo wrote:

....There are 20 posts from yesterday and today alone (at least on the first page) regarding the bugs in 2015.3. You could chalk that up to a wide user base, but none of those posts are titled" 2015.3 is great!"......

Good point.  Do you HAVE to have the newest thing?  Unless you could ace the exam for IT Guy, stick with what works. Wait for the posts that say, "AE is great!". 

No telling when that might happen!

• 11. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

chris dinardo wrote:

A small minority, and quite rare. There are 20 posts from yesterday and today alone (at least on the first page) regarding the bugs in 2015.3. You could chalk that up to a wide user base, but none of those posts are titled" 2015.3 is great!"

It is exceedingly rare for somebody to make a thread about how great a new version is about any software! People come to the forums when they have an issue. If there's no issue, they just carry on working and don't come to crow about it. I've been involved in forums since AE version 4 or so, and I don't recall there being threads titled "the _____ version of AE is great" for any version! It's just not a thing that happens. Although, now that I think about it, there were some posts when 13.8 first launched about how much better it was and a number of threads closed with "13.8 fixed it, thanks". There has certainly been a significant decrease in work-stopping bug posts recently compared to when CC 2015 first came out! One encouraging thing for me is that most of the issues that are being posted aren't wide-ranging (outside of a couple of issues like the red frames and AME repeating audio). The 13.7 updates and the 13.8 release have really made AE more production-ready for many people.

Please don't misunderstand me. I know it's not working well for you (and a too-large number of other people - especially those with high res screens). And I'm not saying that Adobe is great and AE is fine. I was just trying to show that it is getting better. I was trying to give you some hope for the future that AE will continue on this path and your issues will be solved too.

chris dinardo wrote:

I see a rush to market, adding features without repairing the base, and a lack of concern over it's end users.

CC 2015 certainly did seem like a rush to market from our perspective as users! I would disagree about the latest release though. CC 2015.3 did a lot to repair the base. Many issues were fixed in it (some not well-publicized, but here are some fixes) and they didn't really add a lot of features. As I understand it, the majority of their work since CC 2015 launched has been bug fixing - trying to solve issues like yours.

chris dinardo wrote:

As a freelance artist I cannot survive working with tools that are unreliable and cost me time and clients. The current cycle of time-released newer, shinier, "live" software is incompatible with regular production. Small operators like myself will be unable to keep up with the kind of capital output necessary to maintain software that is only compatible on the newest systems, or vendor - specific systems.

Totally understand.

I always try to tell people about that. I say, don't stay up with the new releases. Just like it was in CS and before, don't upgrade in the middle of a project and don't jump on the shiny new thing right away without a safety net in place! For production work, use what you know works. When you have time, try out new things and see how they behave. That's part of what makes the CC subscription so useful; we can download and install CS6, CC, or CC 2014 if we need to and don't even need to worry about CC 2015 or CC 2015.3 if we don't want to.

CC 2015 was a big step back in our confidence in AE as users. However, I know that they need to change AE's core code to keep it relevant. I just wish it could be a smoother road for us! MAXON is doing the same thing with Cinema 4D (replacing the core code), but they have a much, much larger development team and so they managed to pull it off without much of a hitch (just a drop in new features in the past couple of releases).

• 12. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                Adam_799

Man this is totally wrong what you're saying.

"That's part of what makes the CC subscription so useful; we can download and install CS6, CC, or CC 2014 if we need to and don't even need to worry about CC 2015 or CC 2015.3 if we don't want to."

It is not useful. On the contrary, it is very tedious.

If you're a pro/freelancer and cooperate with several agencies, production houses, other freelancers etc., you should know that they are all use a different versions of Adobe software. I have projects from cs 5.5 to cc2015. That's a total mess. I must have installed all versions + plugins for all versions. What gives me a big headache. And this is all the fault of Adobe's method of distributing versions and upgrades. Which is totally garbage. What will be after 5-10 years? I will must have a separate hard drive only to install all versions of Adobe software. Stupidity!?!?!?!

From CS6, Adobe could give us only one stable CC final version and one beta version for testing the new features. And that's it.

Szalam, do you even use after effect in serious works and projects, where you could meet with the real problems and workflow?

Or you just open the applications and here and there trying some tools?

• 13. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

Adam_799 wrote:

If you're a pro/freelancer and cooperate with several agencies, production houses, other freelancers etc., you should know that they are all use a different versions of Adobe software. I have projects from cs 5.5 to cc2015. That's a total mess.

But that's always been the case. Before CC came along, different houses would still be on different versions. But back then, if you were trying to work with multiple places, you had to purchase (for thousands of dollars) all of the different versions you needed or (in later years) try something like pt_OpenSesame and hope to your favorite deity that it would work. Now, all versions are included from CS6 onward in our comparitively small monthly subscription, so it's much less hassle (and much less money).

Adam_799 wrote:

Szalam, do you even use after effect in serious works and projects, where you could meet with the real problems and workflow?

Or you just open the applications and here and there trying some tools?

My full-time job is mostly C4D and After Effects (but with a bunch of Premiere Pro and going out in the field and shooting too). I also do freelance AE and C4D work in my spare time.

I've worked with After Effects since version 4 (and I don't mean CS4 which was version 9).

I moderate the /r/AfterEffects subreddit on Reddit.com, I'm an After Effects forum leader at CreativeCOW, and, if you'll look at my activity here, you will see that my ACP and MVP credentials in the Adobe forums are exclusively due to After Effects.

So, yes to the first question and no to the second.

• 14. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                    Adam_799 Level 1

"Now, all versions are included from CS6 onward in our comparitively small monthly subscription, so it's much less hassle (and much less money). "

Now I spend even more. In my country subscription is about 1080 Eur/year with taxes. Before, the new versions are coming out every two or three years  and I had the opportunity if I buy a new version or not. Or I could have postponed the purchase. So prices when comparing before and now are the same. (In fact they are not the same. For the cost of renting and buying should not be the same).

But the most important thing is that I previously owned the software that I bought. And now when I pay subscription I possess nothing (NULL). So if you stop subscribing, I lose everything and have no possibility of continuing to work.

How can it be better?!?!? I pay something that I will never possess and I am forced to pay each year at full price.

So if you think that this is so good and cool, I don't now what to think about you? And I don't want to argue further with you because you work for Adobe, so this conversation does not make any sense. You're not looking at things as a user.

I think the rental price for one year should be much lower. Now it's the same as  I bought every 3 years CS6 but in one huge difference. I do not own it. And cost of renting and buying should not be the same

Stay happy with your lifetime subscription. Oh sorry, you probably not paying them. Because you work for them

• 15. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

Adam_799 wrote:

And I don't want to argue further with you because you work for Adobe, so this conversation does not make any sense. You're not looking at things as a user.

I do not work for Adobe. I just volunteer a lot in the forums. When I was first starting out and the only training I had for After Effects was on VHS tapes, I found online forums to be an invaluable resource. Now, I spend as much time as I can trying to help others like I was helped. I'm not just helping out here, (I'm also on Reddit, Creative COW, VideoCopilot, C4DCafe, CG Society, and other places) and I'm not just helping out with Adobe stuff. So, I'm not working for Adobe, I'm working for the community. At least, that's how I see it.

Adam_799 wrote:

In my country subscription is about 1080 Eur/year with taxes.

That's almost double what it is here in the United States! That sucks!

Although, if you've been paying attention to our current political rumblings, perhaps it'd be better to live where you are!

• 16. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                        Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

In my country subscription is about 1080 Eur/year with taxes.

this sounds extreme. what is your country? I found these yearly euro prices and that includes taxes.

• 17. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                          Adam_799 Level 1

Croatia

8874 kn + 25% tax (2218,5 kn) = 11 092.5 kn

1 eur = 7,47 kn

Price in euro = 1484 Eur / year

2016-08-10.jpg

• 18. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                            Adam_799 Level 1

Sorry, wrong article. This is right one.

6468 kn + 25% tax (1617 kn) = 8085 kn

1 eur = 7,47 kn

Price in euro = 1082,3 Eur / year

Price in euro = 1082,3 Eur / year2016-08-10-(3).jpg

• 19. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?

25% tax? Ouch!

Also, that's not directly from Adobe either.

• 20. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                                Adam_799 Level 1

Untitled-2.jpgI can't buy directly from Adobe. I tried. I have to buy from dealers.

• 21. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

could it be that your re-seller is making the profit? can't you download directly from adobe website. this has gone off topic. Adam, I sympathize with your situation but taking it out on our most friendly and highly knowledgeable community expert is not the way. we are all volunteering here out of our own time and energy because we are compulsive about knowledge in this software and we are Ae geeks that prefer to answer questions to people we don't know, than to sit still at family dinner.

• 22. Re: 2015.3 update - a step backwards?
                                                    Adam_799 Level 1

I apologize if I was a little rough on the words. But that's what is written on this forum that is now all better and cheaper with CC subsrciption is not valid for all users. So stop with that propaganda. It's not true!