2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 10:03 AM by a_C_student

Touch up reading order preferences for multiple column document

marca74304667

I have a tri column document that I wanted to have tagged automatically in top to bottom, left to right order. I got it to tag automatically in that order once but it always tags left to right, top to bottom. Are there any other settings in preferences or setup assistant that could be throwing it off?

I created an action that did:

-Recognize Text using OCR

-Set tab order property - Use column order

-Add tags to document

-Touch up Reading Order

-Set alternate Text

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Touch up reading order preferences for multiple column document
          CtDave Level 5

The "auto-tag" follows the designated language direction. For Western European (e.g., English etc.) that'd be left to right, top down.

As well, you have an image of text (that's why OCR is done eh). There are no columns in an image. Nor are columns presented by OCR.

Using ClearScan you'd replace the image of characters with characters. Now lay down Articles to get the desired progression through the text. Next- manual tag (always work out of the Structure tree) - the "auto-tag" feature isn't going to cut it so don't waste your life-minutes on it in this situation.  Set Alternate text - You have Figure elements in play? Do it manually for each necessary occurrence.

Be well...

• 2. Re: Touch up reading order preferences for multiple column document
            a_C_student Level 3

A beautiful thing about PDF is it empowers you to optimize the user experience for all readers. Tri-column, three fold, layout table, whatever - optimize the visual representation of the document, then also optimize the experience of assisitive technology and mobile users. Auto-tagging is a start but as CtDave points out, manual remediation is always needed.