5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 10:51 AM by Szalam

AE hangs on startup

Frogblender

Hi all,

I just did an update to the latest version (2015.3), and man, I have to say...It's fantastic! Our adobe star team did it again!

After effects loads up, but immediatly after all panels are up, it hangs. And after 10-20 seconds it just give's you the middlefinger with a nice and clean 'after effects stopped working' window.

Isn't that a great new feature?

Just so you know, my last version worked like ****. I could open my files, it did'nt crash, everything looked fine... oh men, cumbersome!

• 1. Re: AE hangs on startup
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you asking for help? (If so, we'll need a lot more info to help you.) Or are you just looking for somewhere to vent?

You know CC 2015.3 can be installed alongside CC 2015 and CC 2014 - and project files work between all three versions - so you can carry on working in those older versions until you get CC 2015.3 working for you.

• 2. Re: AE hangs on startup
            Frogblender Level 1

I'm sorry if I came in to harsh, or sarcastic. But to me, on each CC update, everything get's more and more sluggish. Untill this latest version, which didn't even load the program. And as a client of adobe; that kinda makes me sad with the need to vent. I'm sorry for that, but it does.

Like I said, yes, previous version worked fine, compared to the latest one, where it just didn't startup anymore. But everything has become sooo sloooow. Even in simple animation comps, you have so much latency when you drag an object, it's almost unworkable.

I have 10 years of experience in on motion design, so I know the do's and dont's. My comps are optimized, my preview/cache/memory settings as well.

Also, I have a Intel Core i7-3960X @ 3.30 GHZ (six cores, hyperthreaded) with 32 GIG RAM, and a Geforce 980 TI on windows 10. So my specs are decent enough to ride the train of most 2D/3D software, no? I run Maya, I run c4D and even tested Nuke, which all works like a charm on my system. AE just slows me down, every update more and more. And when I look around on our world wide web, it seems I'm not the only one having this problem.

So in fact yes,  I have a question: What's the masterplan for After Effects on a long term view? My best guess is your engine is getting old. Imho too old to compete with the other players in town. CUDA Core compability seems to be rather poor, and the program just doesn't feel optimized anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please do. I'm all up for debating. But you can't deny the performance issues on after effects. Especially if I compare project files from Cs5, which run so smoothly. Now on CC 2015, it's just like running trough jelly.

I know your next question will be: "Please describe what you did just before the problem appeared" etc. I can't respond to that, because I'm talking about long term here, not just about a small error if you accidently make a feedback loop in your expressions. This is something I noticed since the beginning of CC, and, like I said earlier, get's worse every time an update pops up. I tought it would get better, but it doens't. So that's why I decided to put it out there, or better 'here' on this forum.

• 3. Re: AE hangs on startup

Frogblender wrote:

...a client of adobe; that kinda makes me sad with the need to vent. I'm sorry for that, but it does.

I totally understand. I've had my times of venting at Adobe too! Like, for example, not calling this latest release CC 2016. Now every software has its own 2015.x version number - even though it's a new version - so people think it's a bug-fix update and not a major version change and...well, you get the point.

Frogblender wrote:

So in fact yes, I have a question: What's the masterplan for After Effects on a long term view? My best guess is your engine is getting old. Imho too old to compete with the other players in town. CUDA Core compability seems to be rather poor, and the program just doesn't feel optimized anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please do. I'm all up for debating.

First of all, it's not "my" engine. I'm just a customer like you.

I don't want you to think that I speak for Adobe or am employed by them - I'm not and I don't. I just hang out around here a lot!

Now, as to your concerns. I'm happy to report that you are wrong. And I shall attempt to correct you with what knowledge I do have.

The problem with AE isn't that it's old; the problem is that it's brand new.

AE CC 2015 was the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it.

The old architecture was, well, old. And multiprocessing was a buggy mess that didn't support modern hardware, was easily disabled by the wrong effect or expression, and didn't support GPU acceleration. So the AE team decided to make a new system to replace the old. The plan was to focus on interactive performance improvements and then render performance. However, separating the UI and renderer produced a lot more bugs than they were expecting in CC 2015 so they got slowed down in development trying to squash all of the bugs.(As you may or may not know, the AE team is pretty small. This picture from the After Effects World Conference in 2014 shows nearly the entire team at the time, including software engineering, quality engineering, marketing, UI design, and product management.) The team has changed a bit in the past two years. Including the person in charge. The person who recently took the helm of AE is a long-time After Effects user named Victoria. I think it's great that Adobe put someone like her in charge. She knows what it's like to use AE and shares a lot of our frustrations.

In my experience (and many others as well from my conversations online) CC 2015.3 is what CC 2015 should have been. It is a great halfway point to a new architecture in AE. There's no replacement for the old multiprocessing renderer yet, but there is some actual GPU acceleration of native effects and interactivity is much better than previous versions (including CS5).

But anyway, their master plan (as far as I know) is to squash all these new bugs and continue redoing AE's core architecture to make it viable in the future. They have said that they plan to leverage the GPU for more things too, which is great.

Frogblender wrote:

But you can't deny the performance issues on after effects. Especially if I compare project files from Cs5, which run so smoothly. Now on CC 2015, it's just like running trough jelly.

Remember, your Creative Cloud subscription for After Effects includes CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 in addition to CC 2015.3 so you can install any/all of those versions alongside each other if you would like.

For me, I haven't had much of an issue with any of the AE CC versions prior to CC 2015 - especially once a bug fix update or two came out. AE's cache system improved immensely from what was there in CS5. I found CC much better to work with. Not only did It perform better, but there were some serious productivity enhancements with things like Copy with Property Links - a feature request I put in that I was very glad to see show up in the program.

CC 2015 worked okay for me on light projects - especially after the 13.7.x bug fix update, but CC 2015.3 is much better. I don't even touch the older versions in my freelance office any more.

I really hope we can help you get the new version working on your system. It's been such a huge improvement you might start enjoying AE again!

• 4. Re: AE hangs on startup
                Frogblender Level 1

Hi Szalam,

Thank you for your time writing this comment. I tought idd you where an Adobe employee, sorry for that :-). And let me say, I'm very glad you could answer me in this very constructive way.

I agree with most of your answer. I think I miscommunicated a little.

I agree that AE has a lot of nice new features, like for example the Copy with Property Links you mentioned.  And I do like to work with the program. In fact, except for the "sluggishness", I have no problem with it at all.

Now, Previewing/rendering is idd faster, but for me, it's the UI workflow that gets slower with every new version.

For example: I usually work with big comps, with a lot of heavy animation in it. The workflow then slows down, and I understand that. BUT: if you then, for example, open up a new comp in that same project, and put 2 simple solids on it with pos. keyframes, and you try to move (drag) the layer or position keyframes you added, the lag you experience while dragging your layer/keyframes is also superslow and on heavy projects almost unworkable. Why is that? Even if I flush my cache, this problem is still there. Does AE render al the other comps (that are heavier) and when you're cache is full, it just gets slow no matter what's in your comp?  But then again, flushing the cache should solve this? Or is it RAM related?

And it's exactly that,what's frustrating me. Can you imagine waiting 1-2 seconds for each movement you make with your mouse while dragging? It's very hard not to blow off steam trough you ears if that is happening :-)

Even If I activate 'adaptive resolution', it's exactly the same lag, only the resolution goes to 1/4. So I don't see any advantage of using that option :-s So the problem for me is: How do I animate like this? Do I have to keep using all kinds of tricks with proxy's/solo out/... Mostly, I  don't have the time for that. Especially not when you have a tight deadline :-( I could revert to the old CS6, but then again, I enjoy and use the new features, and would like to keep them:-)

Kind regards,

A.

ps: English is not my native language, so let me excuse myself for any spel/word mistakes :-)

• 5. Re: AE hangs on startup

I know what you mean about it getting slow with a big project. I've had some compositions with hundreds of layers in them and they used to struggle in those comps. I didn't notice it being as bad in comps that were less complicated in that same project though.

I haven't had a chance to try a project that size in CC 2015.3 yet, but on the projects I have done on it, things are much quicker. So, if you can get CC 2015.3 working, you could try it out and let us know!