Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Proxies From Project

Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to remove proxies?

Once you are done with them and want to clear up some hard drive space I am going to probably delete proxies. I have tried this but once you delete the proxies the project constantly asks to reconnect the proxy files at project open and when you double click on a clip on the timeline it asks for "Edit Offline File" instead of opening in the source monitor. Am I missing some functionality here? Seems like an obvious oversight.

If its not already in the program, hopefully they can add a button to the media re-link windows that allows you to "forget proxies" or something.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Did you quit Premiere, delete Proxies, launch Premiere and select Offline All in Link Media dialog, then save the Project? If you don't save, then it will keep asking for the Offline clips. This works for me.

Also, double-clicking a clip with Offline Proxy in Timeline Sequence resulting in Edit Offline dialog (rather than open in Source monitor), is an open issue. The current workaround is to hold down CMD/Ctrl key and double-click clip to open in Source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Sorry for the wait. Detach Proxies is now added to Premiere Pro 14.3.1. This will detach the Proxy from your clip(s). It will not delete them from your hard drive, but it will remove the Proxy attachment in Premiere Pro (Proxy column in Project panel will update blank/empty), which means the Link Media dialog will not come up asking for missing Proxies as they have actually be detached from the clip(s).

More info:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2020-4.html#detach-proxies

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you switched back to using the originals in the project, or did you delete the proxy media without doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi crozier,

When faced with the warning, can you try the "Offline All" function with selected proxies in the "Link Media" dialog box?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do that, but it still nags every time I re-open the project to re-link the proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you quit Premiere, delete Proxies, launch Premiere and select Offline All in Link Media dialog, then save the Project? If you don't save, then it will keep asking for the Offline clips. This works for me.

Also, double-clicking a clip with Offline Proxy in Timeline Sequence resulting in Edit Offline dialog (rather than open in Source monitor), is an open issue. The current workaround is to hold down CMD/Ctrl key and double-click clip to open in Source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that workaround in the future, thanks! It's possible I didn't save. Good to know that the offline proxy issue is being worked. At the moment I just regenerated proxies and plan on using them in the current project since I was having some XAVC-I 4K performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work here. At least not when the proxies were deleted while Premiere was running, if it makes any difference.

Deleted proxies, Premiere handled it very well and video switched to original media. Closed project, reopened, Premiere asked to link missing proxy media. Selected "Offline All", saved. Quite Premiere, reopened project, Premiere asks to link missing proxy media.

No amount of choosing "Offline All", saving, and re-starting makes the dialog go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same nightmare but compounded by the fact I was importing sequences from other Premiere files that also had proxies attached.

I essentially located the proxies, dumped them in the trash > quit > reopened > selected offline all > save > quit >reopen > BAMMM no more references...

I also did the same with the original premiere files I was importing into the new premiere file just to be sure.

Absolute pain in the BUTT!! at least they've gone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. Offline all and Save makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How do I remove totally any proxies references from the project ?

At the end of my work, I delete proxies, but premiere still ask me to relink them each time, how can I just told premiere that I don't want any reference to the proxies files ?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is currently no way to totally delete references to the Proxies. You can stop the Link Media dialog from asking for the Proxies by selecting Offline All, then save your Project. Once you do this, opening the Project should no longer ask for the Proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope there are plans to add a global function to remove all Proxies. Especially for Archiving or if you want to recreate the proxies using a different codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another little hack i just noticed, or maybe a coincidence. I was trying to lose some more proxies that were becoming a pain when opening a different PREM file.

I did the procedure mentioned above but they still werent detaching... However, these were originally from a different hard drive as I had just moved all my files to a larger drive so still had the original path showing on the missing files paths.

I mounted my original drive, deleted all the proxies, re-opened my premiere file and again all the proxies were now detattached!!

Worth a try if you've recently moved files around on different drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the need for two functions related to cleanup besides just the export project functionality.

- Remove all Proxies with Option to delete File on Disk (with selection\check boxes for files to remove like attaching)

- Remove all Files not in use and option to delete from Disk or Not (with selection\check boxes for files to remove like attaching)

I've been working on one particularly project for months and there is a lot of files no longer in use or proxies that I have recreated with different ingest settings. But there are 100s of clips in the project. So it would be great to be able to clean-it up before saving and archiving as well as free up disk space.

(am filling out a Feature Request Form. I am sure Adobe has this already but,,, Can't hurt).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this:

The issue is that when you attach proxies, there is no way to undo the attach and tell Premiere not to look for proxies. So if your proxies get deleted then Premiere will keep asking you to re-attach them every time you open the project.

This issue is compounded by a bug whereby even if you "Offline all" and save the project, Premiere will not remember that you clicked "Offline all" and will ask you to re-attach media again when you re-open the project.

My current workaround is to point the missing proxies request to the original rushes. That way Premiere thinks that proxies are attached and the missing media warning goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rogierh1229037  wrote

a bug whereby even if you "Offline all" and save the project, Premiere will not remember that you clicked "Offline all" and will ask you to re-attach media again when you re-open the project.

Still seeing it, in multiple projects. Whenever I use proxies and they get moved elsewhere (or I move), this problem happens and "sticks" with the project.

It's worse, actually. Linking to the proxies doesn't help either. It will still come up the next time around, claiming that the proxies are missing from [old path], even though they've been relinked to [new path] many saves ago. So neither relinking nor "Offline all" help.

Has this ever been fixed in any of the 2018 CC versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. It's not a real problem but it's annoying. Hope it will get fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted proxies just as suggested, saved, reopened etc.  But to no avail.  This worked for me:  Delete proxies in Finder.  open project. choose offline all media.  saved.  Then I had to delete media in the project and choose "keep media on the disk".  Saved it.  Quit.  Reopened.  Reconnected the media and it no longer looks for proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the exact same issue. "Offline All" did nothing. However, on a whim I tried manually clicking "Offline" for every proxy file listed (instead of just selecting "Offline All") and that seemed to do it. After I saved and restarted Premiere it no longer asked about the proxies. This sounds like a pain having to click all he files manually, but it literally took me less than a minute. This seems like a weird bug, but hopefully this works for others as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!!! 

This is the only thing that worked for me and I would like to highlight this wonderful person for finding the weird workaround I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the keyword is to offline all -> Save -> QUIT and then reopen.  I was closing the project and re-opening and that wasn't doing the trick.  Thanks all.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the same issue... This is how I fixed it:

Delete Proxies->

(In Premiere) Select Footage ->

(press) Make offline ->

Save ->

Quit ->

Reopen ->

Re-link all your footage ->

Save

After you do this Premiere will stop asking to locate the proxies.

Basically, you have to unlink your footage and then re-link it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible not to fully delete the proxies, but to instead "hide the folder" in subfolders? I have been trying to find a way to use collect and relocate files via the project manager several times in a manner that doesn't bring over proxies (is this a bug?) and my project file always finds a way to reattach proxies through the  filenames found on my hard drive, even if the original subfolder structure has been purposely interrupted. I understand why it's done this way as it makes for easier media retrieval in most cases while editing, but I'm trying to compile my project for another editor in a way that preserves the proxies but also removes them for the initial edit hand off. I will try moving the subfolder off to a different drive and seeing what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the wait. Detach Proxies is now added to Premiere Pro 14.3.1. This will detach the Proxy from your clip(s). It will not delete them from your hard drive, but it will remove the Proxy attachment in Premiere Pro (Proxy column in Project panel will update blank/empty), which means the Link Media dialog will not come up asking for missing Proxies as they have actually be detached from the clip(s).

More info:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2020-4.html#detach-proxies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines