3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 10:43 AM by Szalam

AE will only load the same length into preview before force purging

taylorm36109209 Level 1

Running AE CC 2015 on Windows 10. GTX 970, 32 GB of RAM with 31.9 dedicated to AE.

In one of my projects, After Effects will not allow me to play a RAM preview of more than a set amount of time. No matter my preview settings (including all the Range and Play From settings), it will not play the entire video.

If I move the playhead and start my preview when rendering from my current time somewhere else other than the beginning of the clip, it will cache the preview into the RAM up until about the same amount of time as wherever I had it before and after the fact it DE-CACHES (purges?) what I had previously rendered.

I've done a total purge and an Image Cache purge and all this has done has made (even more bizzarely) my previews preview in super speed but at the same having the same issues as before (rendering only a set amount of time from the playhead before restarting from the beginning and purging my cache everywhere else in the project I've rendered.)

There are no non-native plug-ins running on the rig. I've previewed the entire project in the past before, so it's not a capability thing with my rig.

Help.

• 1. Re: AE will only load the same length into preview before force purging
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It might be that you've added some more stuff to the scene that makes it take up more RAM or you've bumped the resolution up. A preview will cache as much as it can, but the amount it "can" is limited by the amount of RAM in your machine. You can choose to preview every other frame or you can preview at a lower resolution.

After Effects is not like a video editing app where you watch a whole, long thing at once. It works very differently under the hood (I have a long and complicated explanation for this, but suffice it to say there is good reason for it). It's best for working on short shots that will be edited into a larger project in an NLE.

• 2. Re: AE will only load the same length into preview before force purging
            taylorm36109209 Level 1

This is true, but this is still a really short time to be rendered I feel and lately I've been getting the same issue that was mentioned by the other poster about needing to allocate more RAM, implying a memory leak.

I have some other project files that have tons of 3rd party plug ins on them, and they are in shorter scene by scene comps so I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't be running into this problem with them at the time.

Is it possible that this is contributing to my low available RAM, despite them being on other projects? Should I de-install/re-install these plug ins in order to fix this if that is the case?

Not familiar with the protocol/possibility here.

• 3. Re: AE will only load the same length into preview before force purging
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anytime a new version of AE comes out (that is able to be installed alongside other versions of AE), like CC 2015.3, it's a good idea to get new, updated installers for third-party plugins. I'd certainly give that a go.