3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 3:09 AM by Paolo Tramannoni

[CS6] Batch relinking cross references

Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Hi,

I make long technical manuals, splitting the books into separate documents. Each document includes indicators to show the product and language, for example, "ProA-Intro-ENG" for the English version of the ProA product.

Then, I send the documents to my translators, and the document takes a name like "ProA-Intro-FRE" for the French version.

Later, I adapt my materials to Product B, and change the names to "ProB-Intro-ENG" and "ProB-Intro-FRE"

Cross-references are always broken. Contraty to image linking, I cannot simply use a "Relink to folder" command, or select a target file and have the included cross-reference target automatically relinked. Cross-references have to be all manually rebuilt.

Do you know of any solution to avoid all this work? Shouldn't it be a lot easier?

Paolo

• 1. Re: [CS6] Batch relinking cross references
          Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

One of the solutions I've been thinking is to avoid using identifier. So, the chapter will be "Intro" for all languages and product.

However, I fear this could cause confusion to translators, and to me when working on different products in parallel.

Do you think I should run this risk, and avoid product and language identifiers?

Paolo

• 2. Re: [CS6] Batch relinking cross references
            Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

I found a solution! The Relink Cross-Reference command in the the Hyperlinks pane is not reserved to the selected cross-reference. On the contrary, it becomes available when no item is selected in the pane.

After choosing this command, you are invited to select the target documents, one after the other. References are batch-updated for each target document.

Paolo

• 3. Re: [CS6] Batch relinking cross references
              Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

There is something confusing for me. The online instructions given by Adobe for the Relink Cross Reference command (for CC) are the following:

--------------------------

Relink cross-references

If the missing destination text has been moved to a different document, or if the document containing the destination text is renamed, you can relink the cross-reference. When you relink, any changes made to the source cross-reference are removed.

1. In the Cross-References panel, select the cross-reference you want to relink.

2. Choose Relink Cross-Reference from the panel menu.

3. Locate the document in which the destination text appears, and then click Open.

If any other destination text appears in that document, you can relink additional cross-references.

At least in CS6, step 1 does not match. If I select a cross-reference, the Relink Cross-Reference command is dimmed. The command can be selected again if no cross-reference is selected.

How it works is how I need it to work. Here is how it works here:

1. Be sure no cross-referece is selected in the Cross-References panel.

2. Choose Relink Cross-Reference from the panel menu.

3. Locate the document in which the destination text appears, and then click Open.

4. If any other destination text appears in that document, the additional cross-references are automatically relinked.

5. After all destinations from that document have been relinked, you are asked to locate other documents containing further destination text.

I hope it will continue to work this way.

Paolo