6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 6:02 AM by RoninEdits

Questioning new PC update hardware to intel 6 core

Alexander Eberhard Level 1

Hi there,

I plan to upgrade my PC to a 6 core i7. I am using 70% PP 2016 and 30% AE 2016.

Right now I was looking into the following spec:

intel i7-5930K

ASUS X99-A (alternativ: X99-Pro - don't see the advantage yet)

M2 Samsung 950 Pro (Media or OS)

- 32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V CL14

Questions:

- Using the i7 4790 yet - will it be a big performance step to the 5930K?

- Will the new M2 Samsung 950 Pro run fine. Would you recommend it for OS and Apps or 4K media files?

- Will the mainboard provide enough CPU lanes to perform all components correctly?

- I will have to reinstall windows 7 Pro for the new setup, right?

- Any alternativ memory recommendation? Corsair or HyperX better? Also, do I have to have quad memory to get best performance?

- Will the PSU be enough?

- Does it really has to be X99 (2011-3)? What about 1151 and Skylake?

Already existing hardware:

EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0, 4 GB

3 x Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

1 x WD Black 3TB, 7.200

ENERMAX CPU air fan

Corsair RM-series PSU 650

I'd be very thankful for your feedback and user experience.

Best,

Alex

• 1. Re: Questioning new PC update hardware to intel 6 core
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

- Using the i7 4790 yet - will it be a big performance step to the 5930K?

if you have the non-k version, it will be more of a jump in performance. the new broadwell-e cpu's are out, so the new 6 core cpu's are the i7-6800k and i7-6850k. they might be around 30% faster than the i7-4790, and 20% faster than the i7-4790k. if you are on a budget and aren't planning on using lots of add in cards, the 28 lane version i7-6800k is a good way to save money.

- Will the new M2 Samsung 950 Pro run fine. Would you recommend it for OS and Apps or 4K media files?

use a sata ssd for os/apps, like the samsung 850. the 950 pro is good for media and AE disk cache. if you need more space for cache and media than a 512gb 950 pro, you could wait for the new larger samsung m.2 ssd's coming, or use multiple sata ssds.

- Will the mainboard provide enough CPU lanes to perform all components correctly?

asus has released new refreshed x99 motherboards. the "x99-a ii" can split a 28 lane cpu to x8/x8/x8, and a 40 lane to x8/16/x8. if you are buying the 40 lane cpu for 4-5 cards, you will need a different motherboard that can split the lanes to 4 or 5 slots.

- I will have to reinstall windows 7 Pro for the new setup, right?

yep

- Any alternativ memory recommendation? Corsair or HyperX better? Also, do I have to have quad memory to get best performance?

crucial and kingston usually have the lowest failure ratings, corsair ram is usually good. i would recommend using quad channel as it will have higher read/write to memory. also look for higher speeds, like 2800mhz or higher, just depending on what you can find on sale or for a good price vs the 2400mhz kits.

- Will the PSU be enough?

corsair RM is just ok, about average, i think its being discontinued. i wouldn't want to use it in a computer you count on for work. the corsair RMx, RMi, and up power supplies are better, they are good. evga G2, P2, and T2 models are near top quality and normally have good prices. the higher you plan on overclocking, the higher watt power supply you will also want, normally between 850w-1000w.

- Does it really has to be X99 (2011-3)? What about 1151 and Skylake?

skylake and 1151 are the next gen of the system you have now, the i7-4790 on 1150. intel has had no competition from amd for the last few years, the result has been intel limiting performance upgrades to the new cpu's. each new cpu consistently gets about 5-6% performance over the last gen. skylake was one of the worst, it only performs about 2-3% better than the haswell refresh i7-4790 it replaces. so the only way to get a noticeably faster intel cpu right now is to get more cores, such as upgrading from 4 to 6 or more cores.

• 2. Re: Questioning new PC update hardware to intel 6 core

Thanks a lot for that value information, Ronin!

You confirmed my thoughts about the 950 pro drive as using it for media.

Talking about the PCIe lanes the 5930K uses 40 and the 6800K 28. How can you match this with the mainboard performance in general? On the homepage for example the Asus X99-A is telling me CPU 40 Lane 3-way/2-way and CPU 28 3-way/2-way. Means it does support a 28 and 40 lane CPU? I only plan to use on GPU. What does this mean to me?

Looking at the performance, is a 2011-3 system with a 5930K faster then a 1151 6800K? Sound like you recommend skylake to go? I always though X99 system are still higher in performance. Specially due to quad channel. I just want to avoid any bottleneck though

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Questioning new PC update hardware to intel 6 core

all x99 motherboards should support both the 28 lane and 40 lane cpu. you can check the support page for an official list of supported cpu

X99-A II | Motherboards | ASUS USA  

if you plan on using one gpu, chances are you don't need the 40 lane cpu.

i said skylake was a waste over your i7-4790 as its only 2-3% faster, maybe i didn't word that very well. i recommend if you wanted more speed, you would need 6 cores or higher. skylake = bad, x99 = good.

the i7-6850k and i7-6800k should be over 5% faster than last gen i7-5820k and i7-5930k.

• 5. Re: Questioning new PC update hardware to intel 6 core

Just one more question. Do you think later windows version will come up with better performance and stability? In my personal opinion win7pro has been very reliable but due to new updates and hardware it might be out-dated!?

• 6. Re: Questioning new PC update hardware to intel 6 core

windows 10 is suppose to be better in many ways, but its usually hard to notice anything different other than the gui. microsoft is suppose to keep offering security updates for a few years for win7, but its already more vulnerable to cyber attacks than win10. win10 has alot of built in spyware, compliments of microsoft and their advertisement partners. so if you value privacy, you will need to find some guides to disable it all, including hidden settings.