Actually, most of the links you can create with Acrobat are relative, and you can't change them to absolute ones, even if you wanted to.
So the question is, how did you create these links, and what kind of action did you associate with them?
Also, it's very important to find out exactly what application the client is using to open the files. My guess is they're using a non-Adobe application, which is why it's not working correctly.
Thanks for the reply.
In that case I'm totally stumped!
Okay so here's the process: Build the presentation in Quark Xpress (yeah, I actually have to use QXP), I Print to Adobe PDF...
I open the PDF in Acrobat, highlight the text I want to link from, and click Create Link > Open a File. I select the file which is another PDF contained in the same folder as the one I am editing. I OK that and select the option to Open in a New Window.
When done, if I then select the link again and hit Edit Link... in the Actions Tab > Actions pane, I can see that the 'Open a file' path is Absolute.
My client is using his iPad. But I was sure the issue was the Absolute path as described... What do you think?
The path is not absolute, even though it looks like it. You can easily test it and see for yourself. Move the file to another folder and you'll see that the link path changes with it.
The problem is most likely caused due to viewing the file on an iPad. The file system on mobile devices is quite different to the one on "normal" computers so I'm not surprised that links to other files don't work there. Also, it depends a lot on what app is used, but I think in this case it wouldn't matter much.
For mobile devices use links to a web server.
Thanks for your responses guys, you are both correct, this was the issue.
Bernd, I did do as you suggested already but the client wanted the presentation for offline use too.