5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 7:26 AM by POH911

I updated to latest version of AE & Now I can't utilize the GPU.

Zencuts

I updated to latest version of AE and now I can't utilize the GPU.

This is crazy all my other apps utilize the Cuda GPU except for AE. Does anyone now a work around.

I have a  iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB of ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card.

What am I supposed to do this computer is less than 3 years old.

• 1. Re: I updated to latest version of AE & Now I can't utilize the GPU.
          Daniel_Peterson Level 1

I was told in another thread that the After Effects team are working on making Ae more GPU optimised for the future... but at present it primarily runs off the CPU, so GPU won't help much... (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• 2. Re: I updated to latest version of AE & Now I can't utilize the GPU.
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects uses the GPU to accelerate the ray-traced renderer and three native effects and that's about it.

The ray-traced renderer is considered obsolete by the After Effects team at Adobe. And I, as a long-time user of After Effects, have recommended against using it ever since it was introduced. I will grant that it is a handy way to create 3d geometry inside AE, but it broke a number of useful things (like blending modes) and it only worked reasonably well on certain, fairly specific hardware. I much prefer the direction they are going of more deeply integrating Cineware. (If you're unfamiliar with this much more powerful 3d option in AE, check out this course.)

The three native effects that are accelerated are Gaussian Blur, Sharpen, and Lumetri.

Other than that, your GPU isn't used much in AE. Does that help?

• 3. Re: I updated to latest version of AE & Now I can't utilize the GPU.
              POH911

Szalam,

If I am getting this kind of error can I expect the new Cinema 4D renderer (just released today in the latest version of AE) to work with my GPU or will I most likely have the same issues? Will unsupported cards still be able to use this new renderer? Also, with GPU accelerated effects how can one know if their GPU is actually being utilized when these effects are applied?

• 4. Re: I updated to latest version of AE & Now I can't utilize the GPU.
                Victoria Nece Adobe Employee

Brian Axmann wrote:

Szalam,

If I am getting this kind of error can I expect the new Cinema 4D renderer (just released today in the latest version of AE) to work with my GPU or will I most likely have the same issues? Will unsupported cards still be able to use this new renderer? Also, with GPU accelerated effects how can one know if their GPU is actually being utilized when these effects are applied?

The new renderer is a multithreaded CPU renderer, so you won't run into the same issues. If you can enable GPU acceleration in your project settings, you will be able to render supported effects on the GPU. (Try testing with Lumetri Color -- it has the biggest speed difference between GPU and software-only modes.)

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I updated to latest version of AE & Now I can't utilize the GPU.
                  POH911 Level 1

Thanks Victoria for your reply. I have enabled Mercury GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) in project settings and played around with Lumetri Color effect but not seeing any huge difference in render speed. I will experiment with it a bit more though. I'm also looking forward to using the new Cinema 4D renderer. That is going to be a huge incentive to upgrade. Thanks again.