12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 12:00 PM by hibhaven

How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder

hibhaven

I am a wedding/event photographer and have recently moved to LR CC after having used Apple Aperture for years. And have fallen in love with LR, its so powerful and easy to use.

Here is my question regarding virtual copies:

I usually end up with 1000 to 5000 images from each shoot, and like to create atleast 3-4 different edit styles for each image before deciding which one suits best. After importing images into my folder (say 1000 images), I edit all images. Then create 4 different collections, each with virtual copies of all photos and apply different styles to each collection. Then I choose specific images from each collection which get delivered to the client.

Every time I create a collection with virtual copies (say 1000 images), these copies also get added to the folder, hence increasing the total image count to 4000 (in a case where I create 4 sets of VCs). This becomes very mis-leading when trying to track the total number of original images in the folder. Is there a way to create virtual copies in a collection, without adding these copies to the folder. The current approach of LR where it adds all VCs in collections to the original folder is very incorrect. The objective of creating a VC in a collection is to keep it separate from the folder so that we can play around with it and use/ discard it the way we want.

Any solution?

• 1. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I simply use the menu.

Photo >> Stacking >> Collapse All Stacks

To view again:

Expand All Stacks

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
            Abambo Level 4

No, you can't separate the VCs and the original. VCs are what they tell you they are "Copies" of an original file. But they are special as they stay at the location where the original file is located. That's a choice of design and a manner to keep an overview on the files.

Collections group files together, having some common properties. I tag my pictures as well as possible and I use smart collections to get the pictures organized (some VIP, dogs, cats, readheads..).

Stacking will unclutter visually the pictures in your folder. It will not affect the file count.

You could track the file count in the collections, or use a colour code (green -> Original, Pink -> VC) and then use filtering to get only the originals or the VCs displayed.

And finally if you systematically create ea VC per photo/per dev-version, you only need to divide the final count by the number of VCs.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

As stated above- Cannot be separated from the 'Master' images in grid view.

Another method to view only 'Masters':-

On the Filter bar you can toggle on the icon to show only 'Master' images.

ScreenShot027.jpg

You can also define a Filter Preset.

ScreenShot023.jpg

You can easily select this preset from the Drop-down menu

ScreenShot028.jpg

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                Abambo Level 4

That must be an option to config. I looked for this, but did not find.

• 5. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I think you are confusing Virtual Copies with something else.

A Virtual Copy is just that "Virtual". It doesn't really exist, it is Make Believe. Just like a Computer Virtual Machine. It Mimics Computer hardware through software. In LR a VC Mimics the original image file so you can try different edits without ever changing the look of the original.

It doesn't add any files to a folder on your hard drive.

Yes it will add displayed images to the grid and film strip views in LR. But they can be Filtered through the Filter Bar as shown about.

You can display just the Masters (Originals) or the VC's (the icon with the little turned up corner on the bottom left of the icon).

Open the Filter bar ( \ Key ) then go to Attributes option at the top and then click the second, middle, icon on the right.

• 6. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                    DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Its as Just Shoot Me advises, the info is in the catalog file there is no "Actual Image File". Previews are rendered using the Original Image file and any additional adjustments applied to the Virtual Copy.

• 7. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                      99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can also change the copy name. For example if your first set was to be used for soft focus, create your collection and whilst all are still selected change the name in the right-hand metadata panel from Copy 1 to Soft Focus. That will be displayed in the grid which will make identification easier.

3 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                        hibhaven Level 1

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this feature. Now I know how to segregate the masters from the VCs atleast. @

• 9. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                          hibhaven Level 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. They help clarify for me how VCs work and can be managed.

Let me rephrase my question and ask other LR users on the optimal workflow they follow. And this probably applies to photographers who shoot large number of images per event, which adds to the complexity of managing large number of images, especially where several images are edited in multiple ways, and then deciding which version to deliver to the client for each image:).

What is your workflow in the scenario where you edit the same photo in multiple styles and then choose specific styles for each image, which then get collated together to deliver to the client?

Here is the scenario: I am a wedding photographer and shoot 5000 images for a wedding. I first process all the images in colour so that they are good enough for delivery (let us call this style as Base Style). Then I want to edit the images in different styles (lets call these Style 1 - Style 5). Since I don't know in advance, which image will look the best in which particular style, I create 5 Collections (each with a VC of all 5000 images). And I edit each collection in a particular style. Then I choose specific images from each style (e.g. Dance sequence looks best in Style 1, Cake cutting looks best in Style 2 etc). And these are finally delivered to the client.

I want to know about workflows that some of you follow? Do you create snapshots and then implement a style on it, or do you create VCs? Why one or the other?

• 10. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I want to know about workflows that some of you follow? Do you create snapshots and then implement a style on it, or do you create VCs? Why one or the other?

When I do events (which is not that often admittedly) I do the VC thing and manage using collections. Snapshots do not work well for this purpose as you have to go into each image one-by-one and select a different snapshot. VCs are far more convenient for this purpose. I usually throw everything (the 1000+ images of an event) in a single master collection in a collection set created for the event first and do a first pass cutting out all the non-keeps using pick and reject flags and usually rate the best images right away. I set a filter to exclude the rejects and generate a new sub collection for the keepers in the collection set. In this collection, I do a quick once over base edit to get consistent quality which is generally just basic exposure/white balance and some shadows/highlights and often just copy adjustments over large numbers of images to get consistent style. Then I go through more thoroughly and rate images and often end up rejecting a few more (which I cut out this collection right away). Generally, if this is a wedding, my next step is to create a number of new collections. Basically things like "getting ready", "the arrival", "ceremony", "presentation of the couple", "photo session", you get my drift and segregate images into these and further refine in those. These will become separate galleries on my website for the couple. If I also do things like more artistic edits I generate a separate collection with VCs more or less exactly like you say.

• 11. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                              Abambo Level 4

OK. 5k pictures means a lot of work... @1 mins/pic =5000mins = 84h of editing. Seems a little bit too much for a very complicated workflow.

I would create presets... One wedding is like the other and most of the presets will be reusable. My workflow would go like this:

1. Go through all pictures mark p, x or u (well u is the standard after import)
                              2. Delete xed pictures - they are not good.
                              3. Filter flagged pictures
                              4. Develop mode -> Select an preview a picture
                              5. apply the preset I think is best for that picture - Same mood pictures can be developped together.
                              6. if OK eventually tweak, if not undo and go back to 5
                              7. Mark the picture as edited. I use colour codes for that -> keys 7, 8 and 9

No VCs! One picture version only. A VC could be of use if I have to edit a picture in 2 different moods or crops.

• 12. Re: How to prevent virtual copies from being added to the original folder
                                hibhaven Level 1

Again, thanks for your responses (Jao vol and Feierwoon)

Over the past 4 years, I have fairly mastered the first 3 steps that Feierwoon mentions above. Prior to LR, I used Apple Aperture and based on my shooting style/ experience, I have a fixed workflow that works for me:). This is how it goes:

Step 1. Since my rejects are typically less than 2% of my wedding shoots, I usually don't waste time trying to pick/reject images. Instead I make the first pass to start cropping images (as this is specific to images and cannot be applied in mass). As I run through images to crop them, if I encounter any images that are not worthy, I reject them. Hence by the end of the first pass, I have completed two steps - rejection and Cropping.

Step 2: I make another pass through all images where I adjust exposure, WB, colour correction etc. And this is mostly done in batches where images require similar adjustments. I usually use Auto Sync, Sync and Copy/ Paste rather than presets for this task.

In the past (till a month ago), my Image editing process would stop here and the images would be ready for client delivery. I would tweak a few images into B&W or give it a tone etc (10 out of 5000 images). My images would primarily be Colour only.

However, its only over the past few months that I have started experimenting in B&W, and different colour tones where I want to edit a complete sequence in a particular style. Hence, I want to understand the workflow followed by people after completion of above Step 2.  How to manage the 25,000 versions, how to tag/rate/mark etc the ones that will be delivered to the client, whether to create VCs versus Snapshots. Over the course of this discussion, I am getting an idea of how things work.

Ultimately, I'd want to end up with just 1 version of each image which is the one that gets delivered to the client. But it is the process of identifying 'which one' out of 4 or 5 possible styles that has me currently bogged down. I do have 100s of presets, but most of them are from western photographers, and very few of them fit the Indian wedding scenario. May be once I create my own collection of presets, I won't have to create multiple copies.