8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 12:40 AM by selondon

Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?

aguts Level 1

Hello!

I have an issue after Adobe Revel was closed and I was pushed to Creative Cloud solution with 1 year free trial.

My promary goal is to have solution for cloud storage and nice and simple share of albums with my family (option to download originals).

Revel did this perfectly.

With Lightromm CC I have some challenges since it's not that user-freindly and simple in terms of basic staff (create albums, upload).

As far as I understood this is ore solution for edit pictures rather than store & share.

There is an option of sharing with mobile app via Lightroom Mobile, but this does not backup and only give you access to preview, right?

Any solution similar to Adobe Revel?

thank you in advance!

Alex

• 2. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Alex,

Lightroom desktop and mobile apps support web gallery sharing via a link (called Web Collection Sharing), as in Revel. See Share and view feedback on a photo gallery in Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

With Lightromm CC I have some challenges since it's not that user-friendly and simple in terms of basic staff (create albums, upload).

In Revel, a library is equivalent to a Lightroom catalog. In Revel, an album is equivalent to a Lightroom collection. The primary difference in file structure is that Lightroom on mobile currently only supports the ability to sync a single catalog.

There is an option of sharing with mobile app via Lightroom Mobile, but this does not backup and only give you access to preview, right?

Correct, But Lightroom does provide the ability to sync photos across multiple devices so you can access them anytime, anywhere, via Lightroom. Our long-term plan is to offer backup of your original files in the cloud. So on most parts it is a good replacement for Revel.

Regards,

Akash

• 3. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
            aguts Level 1

Hi Akash,

thank you for your details answer.

the one thing I'm missing now is how to backup otigin photos in the cloud.

You say that long-term plan is to offer backup of your original files in the cloud as I did with Revel?

How can I access this feature?

thanks!

Alex

• 4. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              How can I access this feature?

It doesn't exist (yet) so you can't use it. Only way to use creative cloud as backup is to setup a publish folder (or do it manually) in your creative cloud folder on your computer and export originals there so they get synced.

• 5. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
                aguts Level 1

Thanks!

sad that Revel was closed before good replacement was introduced.

• 6. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
                  selondon Level 4

Hi Alex,

Likewise I am an ex-Revel customer and my requirements are the same as yours. I'm still assessing Lightroom vs Apple Photos (which is good on cost but as an ex-Reveler is awful).

Lightroom Desktop is indeed a minefield of options (even as an Adobe user of 20 years) and unless you working with it on an everyday basis, things become very forgettable. It reminds me of a 1998 VW Golf that has been continuously customised with multiple options when what is needed is a new designed model. Saying that though the pros seem to like it, which it what its core audience is.

Lightroom Mobile is much more like Revel's (fantastically simple designed) iOS App and Lightroom for Web, through a browser, is like Revel's browser interface.

My main reason for posting is that I think the previous answers aren't entirely correct.

Cloud Storage, although not really advertised or currently guaranteed as a back-up solution, is happening.

Any Photos and Videos that are uploaded through Mobile and Web will go onto Adobe's Cloud Server as original resolution (whereas I believe LR Desktop only uploads low res Smart Previews). I can't quite work out if this is Unlimited or if there is a 100GB limit, as I have read both. This is separate from the 20GB you get with the Creative Cloud account.

A question I'd like to ask is what happens if your subscription runs out, do the Cloud files get deleted? Revel had a two year rule.

The files will sync across all devices. Rather annoyingly (for me) it syncs the high res back to LR Desktop, taking up disc space (it puts them the LR Folder as Mobile Uploads).

For as long as the current iteration of LrD is around it would be good to have a option to only download originals from the Cloud if required (much like Revel's Mac OS App had).

Unfortunately, from a Shared Link for a Collection (Album) you can't yet download original res photos for some reason (Pros may not want their clients to access them?). It should be an option though, will add a feature request . You can download the originals though via iOS or right clicking in the browser, seems like one at a time.

Apart from that, there is no equivalent to Revel's great collaborative Libraries, you'd have to have create different catalogs in Lr Desktop, swap them and I'd guess wait for them to sync the 'Smart Previews' only into the Web and Mobile environments. Not an option really.

Lightroom, for all its pro brilliance, is slowly becoming more like Revel (which was based on LR technology), whether further change comes quick or at all is the question. I would think Adobe want it to be as open and user-friendly as possible to increase revenue. Difficult though as they don't want to upset the users LR is designed for.

Some of the Adobe management covered both and yes, even if Revel had to be merged  into LR, a solution should have been in place before closure.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
                    aguts Level 1

Hi Selondon,

Thank you for comprehensive reply, indeed very helpfull.

Hope Adobe will create tool or LR option for non-pro users like me (who only wants to keep originals in the cloud and share with family from time to time).

• 8. Re: Using CC for cloud storage/backup originals?
                      selondon Level 4

Thanks Alex,

A tiered pricing structure would be good. Indeed, upon the announcement of Revel's closure last year I emailed Tom Hogarty (LR chief) and said pretty much the same.

I think Adobe are trying to shoehorn two types of workflow into one solution that suits few of their customers.

Judging by comments on many forums, the majority of LR users don't much care for Cloud Storage, but prefer a local storage workflow instead. Be it for privacy of professional work, limitations of bandwidth for syncing a whole photo shoots (and indeed Catalogs) to the Cloud or the many more features available in LR Desktop.

For a low end enthusiast like me though, Cloud Storage is great for viewing and sharing, wherever you may be.

It will be interesting to see how the Lightroom Family develops but at £100+ p.a. (vs. £46 for Revel) I don't know how long I'll be around to find out!