5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 7:33 AM by Jeff Witchel, ACI

Select tool Indesign question

Mohammad Modassir Level 1

Hi,

In a page, I first inserted a text frame with one column, then inside this, I inserted another text fram which I used two column on.

The problem is that Im unable to adjust the text frame inside the main text frame. How can I do that, please?

Would be happy for any help received here, and appreciate it very much.

Regards Modassir

• 1. Re: Select tool Indesign question
          Abambo Level 4

Sounds a little complicated as an approach. I suppose that the frames are exactly one over the other. Select the first one by clicking the frame, then cycle through the selections with "CTRL/CMD"-LMB (Left Mouse Button). Each click cycles you through the selections.

But to be honest, I think your approach is erroneous. You should not have those overlapping frames.

• 2. Re: Select tool Indesign question
            Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Create text frame with two columns, then select text to be one column and apply span to 2.

span.jpg

• 3. Re: Select tool Indesign question
              Abambo Level 4

Yes, that's the correct way to do that. I use paragraph styles for that, like P-TXT, "P-TXT-spawn 2", derived from "P-TXT". If I change the basics like font etc, I change them in P-TXT.

• 4. Re: Select tool Indesign question
                jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Mohammad Modassir wrote:

In a page, I first inserted a text frame with one column, then inside this, I inserted another text fram which I used two column on.

The problem is that Im unable to adjust the text frame inside the main text frame. How can I do that, please?

I would also personally use Span Columns. But I tried what you said and had no problems making it work.

• I drew one-column frame and filled it with text and put a blank return.

• I drew a two-column frame and anchored it (inline) to the blank return.

To select the text in the inner frame:

• Select the frame with the Selection tool.

• Resize the frame if desired.

• After selecting with the Selection tool, double-click to switch to the Type tool to make text edits

This is what it looks like in the Story Editor.

If you click in the inner story you get this:

• 5. Re: Select tool Indesign question
                  Jeff Witchel, ACI Adobe Community Professional

If you want your first frame to have one column, and some of the text within that Frame to be two columns, try Split Column.

Select the text that you want to Split into two-columns, look under the options menu of the Paragraph panel > Span Columns.

In the dialog window that opens, choose Split Column in the Paragraph Layout popup menu.