1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 6:44 AM by PGH4LYF

AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

ebluBeta Level 1

I am having this problem with AE shape layers. see the image. I have a single group of multiple paths, a single stroke, and then a trim paths.

the trim paths is animated, and during the animation I get these horizontal tears to the stroke... jumping all over the place. Once the animation ends, there's no more jumping, but the tear lines persist.

It gets worse, as I add path modifiers (path wiggle, etc...)

but they NEVER go away, under any circumstances.

so... is anyone else experiencing this?

Is there a known cause... besides it being a bug?

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 6.08.06 pm.png

• 1. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
          ebluBeta Level 1

update.

it seems that this is directly related to imported AI files that are turned into shape layers.

• 2. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
            Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This could be happend of anti-aliasing

try to select All Layers and from the blendin modes select : alpha Add

• 3. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
              georgecasualfilms Level 1

I'm getting the same bug too (two scan lines in the head) . Shape layers made directly in Ae, no importing at all. It's been happening a lot since the update and is a really nasty bug considering it's actually perceivable in renders too.

GeorgeScreen Shot 2016-07-04 at 16.00.15 (2).png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                ebluBeta Level 1

Mohommad,

it's not antialiasing. and changing the single layer to add makes no difference.

I appreciate the suggestions tho

• 5. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Could you please upload  file containg the shapes ?

• 6. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                    ebluBeta Level 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl9mxn6yw4rfqag/shearingLine_02.aep?dl=0

it would be nice if adobe would modernize the forums so that I don't have to host this stuff myself.

• 7. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

I have made the test ( animating the Trim path ) at my end, and all work well ( except seeing white in the compass ) During the work and after Rendering  . 

Could you Please try to Animate the Trim Path and Send a Rendered file to point out where exactly the Lines show up?

• 8. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                        ebluBeta Level 1

are you kidding me? the lines never go away. opening the file, you will see those lines.

• 10. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Can you See any !

Lines_Non.jpg

• 11. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                            ebluBeta Level 1

ok, what are the differences in our systems?

I am running a mac os X 10.11.5, with CC 2015 AE version 13.8.0.144

2 AMD D500s

• 12. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

I am running After Effects latest update with nvidia Graphic Card

Is your Graphic card Driver up-to- date ?

Have you tried to Reset After Effects to its default?

• 13. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                ebluBeta Level 1

that's not how things work in Mac os X.

Apple controls the drivers for the cards. AMD writes them, But Apple demands a certain level of stability. There's only 1 driver.  the one that comes with the os. I have the latest OS, so i have the most up-to-date driver.

AE is a new install.

• 14. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Try to Make the stroke Weight more than 1 Px and see if the lines will disappear.

let us know if that Helps.

• 15. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                    ebluBeta Level 1

nah. it's persistent.

the unwanted horiz lines do not get thicker, but neither do they go away.

from what we've been able to piece together, this is clearly an Adobe bug. It has something to do with AMD GPUs.

I hope Georgecasualfilms is following along and might let us know about his system. It COULD be limited to Mac OS, but we don't have enough information to make that observation.

• 16. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Adobe works best with Nvidia Cards, if you check System Requirement in this link  After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows ,  AMD is not Listed.

• 17. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                        ebluBeta Level 1

here's an interesting tidbit:

I was trying to understand what is triggering the shearing. turning paths on and off.

if i have 2 paths that overlap in the same Y dimension, we get shearing. The paths have to Not actually overlap (it seems.)

I've had multiple paths that overlap, no shear. paths that do not overlap but are at the same X dimension, but different Y dimensions: no shear.Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 9.30.39 pm.png

• 18. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                          ebluBeta Level 1

mohammad. for 5 or so years now, there hasn't been a single Nvidia Card Available for the mac.

let me repeat that. You cannot have an Nvidia card in a modern macintosh.  Adobe knows this. Adobe supports the mac. If Adobe is aware of the fact that Apple does not ship or even allow aftermarket Nvidia cards, and they still support the mac, then they support AMD. take another gander at the requirements. there is no mention at all about the GPU of any particular company. They link to an informal page where they show which GPUs they've tested. this is marked : optional.

Now as for GPU acceleration, let's put this out on the table: AfterEffects does not support ANY GPU in it's core code. the GPU acceleration in AE is limited to specific plugins, and UI. It's been that way since AE 5.5, which i know very well. All GPU considerations in AE are for the most part, marketing speak. It's true that they develop exclusively on Nvidia cards, and the differences between AMD and Nvidia are driven by market forces, not necessity. developing ANY software with no testing or consideration of an installed user platform is poor implementation of the highest order. It is in Nvidia's best interests to string up a software developer in the differences between it's platform and AMD's, laying the blame for incompatibility at the feet of AMD, as theFoundry found out late last year with EVERY PRODUCT THEY SHIP.

• 19. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                            ebluBeta Level 1

the 2d line drawing routines won't even engage the GPU.

• 20. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                              ebluBeta Level 1

if I had to guess, the moveTo() function is buggy on AMD.

• 21. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

I have been following along yes. It's beyond frustrating that with every new release of After Effects there's a new bug that forces us to rethink our workflow. I'm sure soon enough someone will tell me to go back to the previous version of After Effects, however, that had deal breaking bugs in it also. The last version that felt pretty stable was CS6. If it weren't for the fact we're so embedded into the Adobe eco system, I'd really be looking for a substitute.

System details attached.

George

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.10.51.png

• 22. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have show internal wireframes turned on in the Preview Preferences. Your shape layers are very complicated and on some of them you also have white filled shapes which will not work as you may expect them to when you apply Trim Paths.

The Wireframes will not appear in a render but they make it difficult to work on the shape layers.

I did notice that you are using a 1 pixel black stroke against a white background. This is, not this may but this is going to cause you problems when you try and compress the footage.

The first problem I see with the project: single pixel black lines do not move well when you use them in video. The minimum recommended thickness for any lines that move is 2 pixels, 3 is better. Thin lines do not work well in any video destined for YouTube or Vimeo, or any other streaming service because they will deliver half or quarter rez versions to folks watching your video on lower bandwidth connections or on smaller screens and lower rez versions. This is going to turn your black lines gray make the diagonal and curved lines fall apart very quickly. The other big problem with your design is that all MPEG (Mp4) compression works in blocks of pixels compressing both luminance and color information. Black against white is the maximum range of values and the compression is going to unevenly average the values in the blocks of color and give you compression artifacts around your lines. This is almost impossible to avoid with thin black lines surrounded by white or any color with a red green or blue value that is pegged at 256. One last thing that may give you problems - trim paths applied to single pixel strokes with unbalanced bezier handles sometimes behave oddly on the corners.

My recommendation is to increase your stroke to at least 2 pixels, 3 would be better and move the white and gray values a little away from the stops by reducing brightness of the white to about 96% and increasing the brightness of the black to at least 8% to help with compression. I also noticed that your sample comp size was 812 X 703. There are a couple of problems with that. First Video must always be an even number of pixels high and wide. Any video codec other than Lossless requires even numbers and all media players will resize to an even number of horizontal and vertical lines. Second, the frame size is non standard so if you are nesting this comp in standard comp the odd numbered vertical dimension is going to cause you problems, you cannot scale the layer down because the 1 pixel thick lines will disappear, and if you send the project to an MPEG encoder it will be resized to a standard frame size which will also wreak havoc with your thin lines. The design is quite nice, the idea is good but video has rules that you need to follow and they cannot be successfully broken.

• 23. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply, but none of this actually applies. The problem isn't anything to do with the wireframes. The problem being discussed are the lines running across the graphics (in my case, in the head of the character – two white lines clipping through the image). The stroke weight and clip lines are not interlinked whatsoever. It seems to be a problem when there are overlapping shape layers which have bezier curves. Other than that, they appear pretty much randomly. They don't move (so no reason to think it's anything to do with aliasing) but just appear in certain frames when the animation is plays out.

As we're working with square pixels, the comps size shouldn't affect how the pixels are drawn on screen and create any aliasing issues.

This has only just started since the new update. Adobe, any recommendations/answers?

• 24. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                      ebluBeta Level 1

rick, thank you for replying.

but I am sad to say that you did not address the only issue. I will ask this of you again: if you cannot address the issue, please refrain from replying. I am not asking in order to be mean, I am trying to maintain the topic of this thread. Your reply is written as if you didn't even read any of the posts.

having said that, the file I provided was as bare bones as possible using the imported Illustrator file. the comp is based on the arbitrary Illustrator's file's bounds, the stroke thickness is based on the arbitrary thickness that illustrator used. I am well aware of, and have little difficulty dealing with the way the stroke engine handles both corners and ends. I have not changed in any way, the size of the comp, the shape layer from it's import and conversion as I have in the production file. I made that file in order to share it and limited what I did to it in order to have an unmolested file as possible. Well intentioned as you may be, the advice provided is unneeded, and inappropriate.

I need to hear from others who experience this bug, and others who can help identify it. everything else is noise. let's have a higher signal in our noise to signal ratio.

• 25. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                        ebluBeta Level 1

george, I might disagree with you on that stability thing. I would go back to CS5. CS6 is where the memory bug crops up (still not fixed, btw, some 7 versions later.)

ok, with your system stats, this is either AMD or Mac OS X. I'll see if I can update my bug report.

• 26. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

I see the lines running across the top of your head layer. I also see that you have wireframes turned on. I cannot reproduce the problem on any of my 3 machines. I was responding to the original post when I was talking about frame size. The same applies to your comp if you nest it - odd numbers cause problems with aliasing unless you correct the position to the half pixels and black against white causes compression issues with MPEG files.

Send me the AEP that is giving you problems. My head shape has no issues even with wireframes turned on:

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 6.50.29 AM.png

• 27. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                            ebluBeta Level 1

rick, let me fast forward you to the point where we will discover if you CAN be helpful by downloading a file.

are you running windows systems? do you have Nvidia cards?  if the answer is yes, then in all likelihood you won't see this issue. But, if you HAD read the thread, you'd see I have already provided an aep file.

• 28. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Windows 8, OS X 10.11.5 on three completely different macs, one MBPro R with Nvidia Card, one Mac Pro, one Mac Mini. and I can't reproduce the problem on any of these machines. 

I'm frankly done with this thread. I took 40 minutes to analyze the files try and figure out what's going on. You - ebluBeta have one thread on this forum so who knows what your experience level is. I read the thread, spent about forty minutes trying to reproduce the bug, did see some problems with the wireframe display causing problems with editing and the display and gave sound advice on color, frame size and line width that anyone with a lot of experience creating video should know. I show you a screen grab from your file, added the yellow background so I could see what is going on with the file - which indicates that I have downloaded your project. I gave you complements on your design. The post I made gives valuable information to anyone having problems with viewing and editing shape layers and makes important points on frame size and line width for video projects. This is not your private thread. This is a public forum.

If you have a bug, file a detailed bug report and move on. 5 days fiddling with a problem easily solved by opening the project in a previous version is a total waste of your time and energy. Try to be a little less condescending in your tone. You'll make more friends.

• 29. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                ebluBeta Level 1

you spent 40 minutes trying to reproduce the problem, when a file was already available for download.

Had you spent any of that time reading the thread, you'd have known that.

I do not have 1 thread in the forums, I have several, and YOU have replied to about half of them. We're not acquaintances, but I surely remember you, and my memory of your attitude towards others is not positive. You accuse me of being condescending. I made every effort to be deferential to your attempt at helping, I gently asked you to stay on topic. If there was any condescension, you brought it with you, ignoring the topic and treating people like they are idiots.

I have never once stated that this bug is not present in the previous version. For me, it is evident in the previous version as well. Georgecasuafilms suspects that he can install the earlier version, but has not yet reported doing so.

Now, if you're done, fine. But if you are not, you still haven't answered the question. and this is what drives me nuts about you Rick... all the time in the world to talk about inappropriate things, but no time for the critical details. It's not my fault that you wasted 40 minutes, I am trying to make this easier on you. I'm trying to save you time, to help you focus on the problem.

the mac pro and the mini. depending on how old they are, they may actually have Nvidia cards. are we talking about an aluminum tower? or the black cylinder.  If it's the aluminum tower, then it's about a 50-50 shot at having an Nvidia GPU, and you will have to look at the "about this mac" to know, The mini, will either use intel graphics or the Nvidia GPU as well, so that's: not AMD. 

Like I said before, this appears to be AMD, or mac os Related.  I've gotten good information from you just now, in that you say you cannot reproduce the issue. But we don't have enough to make the determination that it is  AMD gpu related.

• 30. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

I did download your file. See my screen shot. I did spend 40 minutes, my Mac Pro has an AMD card. I cannot reproduce your problem. Filed a detailed bug report. The wireframe issue causes problems.

• 31. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.

Hey,

I haven't installed any previous versions as I know this glitch is isolated to the new version of After Effects. If the glitch was happening in the previous version I would have noticed it way earlier as it's affecting our day to day work flow.

The clipping lines aren't a display visual glitch however. I've found that they're affected by adjustment layers (see below). It's something to do with the ways shape layers are now drawing. If the shape has a stroke and a point on a path with bezier curves is in a certain position, the line will appear horizontally. As they're actually part of the shape layer, they render out.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 09.48.17 (2).png

I've filled a bug report, but would love to know if Adobe have any hints or ideas.

• 32. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                      nicola_s Level 1

I am experiencing the same tear lines. I'm on a late 2013 iMac with an Nvidia card and the problem showed up only in the last few days. I'm working with shapes made directly in AE with a dashed stroke and a trim paths effect. In my case it seems like the appearance / number of these tear lines is connected to the 'Line cap' setting: when set to Round Cap there are lines everywhere, while 'Butt Cap' seems the one with less issues. It seems from your screenshots that your lines are set with 'Round Cap', maybe you can try to see what happens by switching this to 'Butt Cap'. It's not a solution but maybe it can help to isolate the issue, which is definitely there. Edit: I'm on the latest version of AE.

• 33. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                        ebluBeta Level 1

Hi nicola_s,

I have noticed that changing settings such as line thickness, trim amount, and the cap type, changes things. But I have not noticed any reliable increase or decrease of the amount of drawing errors due to any of the different options. some files it's one way, other files it's another way. Sometimes, I don't see the issue at all.

I do not think I see the issue with closed paths.

in the example I provided to Adobe, changing the cap style seems to not appreciably change the results.

clearly, it's not limited to AMD specifically. good to know, thanks.

butt cap:

buttCap.png

round cap:

roundCap.png

• 34. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                          mortenranmar Level 1

This must be a new issue. I have used trim paths plenty of times and never seen this before. Now i can't get rid of it.

Running on iMac late 2015, AMD Radeon R9 M390.

Simple paths drawn in AE, no fill, different stroke widths. Issue seems to be most noticeable with line cap set to round cap.

Frankly i'm getting tired of being Adobe's beta tester with every new update.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 13.10.56.png

• 35. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                            mortenranmar Level 1

Opening the same comp on a Windows 10 pc with Nvidia gpu solved the issue.

• 36. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                              ebluBeta Level 1

it was my assumption that this issue would not be present on Windows, thanks for checking that. more anecdotal evidence that it is limited to Mac.

• 37. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                                Stefan Gruenwedel Adobe Employee

If this is a bug on Mac OS, can you please log the problem here?

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 38. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                                  Stefan Gruenwedel Adobe Employee

Ted, I learned today that the After Effects engineers are aware of the bug. It affects After Effects CC (2015.3) on Mac OS X and they are working on a fix. No word yet on when.

• 39. Re: AE shape, stroke with trim paths bug.
                                                                                    ebluBeta Level 1

thanks Stefan. good to know.

1 2 Previous Next