11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2016 6:05 AM by JN92

Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR

JN92

Hello

I recently moved my travel catalog from MacBook Pro to my station computer iMac. Just today I was looking for a particular photo of Ljubljana and realised that edits of this photo (and couple more) are gone.

Any ideas what I was doing wrong? Since I travel a lot and edit on the road, I don't want to lose my edits when importing back to the main station.

Thank you

Jakob

• 1. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
          dj_paige Level 9

JN92 wrote:

Hello

I recently moved my travel catalog from MacBook Pro to my station computer iMac. Just today I was looking for a particular photo of Ljubljana and realised that edits of this photo (and couple more) are gone.

Tell us the exact detailed complete list of steps you followed to perform this move.

• 2. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
            JN92 Level 1

I exported the main file as a catalog to my external drive. I only checked (it was actually already checked) the "include available previews" (my original files are on the same disk to where I was exporting).

There were some errors on the end "photo previews could not be found " (mostly photos which were imported back from PS - .edit)

There were no errors when importing (as I can recall).

• 3. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
              dj_paige Level 9

More detail please.

There were no errors when importing (as I can recall).

How did you do this? What is the exact Lightroom function(s) you used?

How did you determine that the edits were gone? Did you look in the History Panel of the Develop Module and found your edits were not there? Please show us a screen capture.

• 4. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
                JN92 Level 1

I went to import from another catalog and I clicked on the exported catalog (I've done it before and didn't have any problems... At least I didn't find it yet).

Actually the whole photo is un-edited. It is simply a raw file.

A screen capture of un-edited photo?

• 5. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
                  dj_paige Level 9

I would like a screen capture of the entire develop module screen showing this un-edited photo, with History Panel expanded so we can be sure there are no edits applied to this photo.

• 6. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
                    JN92 Level 1

First photo is the one on the iMac

Second photo is on MacBook (my disk is not plugged in, hence missing file - but it is the same photo)

I just saw, that after every import, it resets photos. Even when importing from camera. But if this is the problem, why are there only few photos missing?

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 14.36.27.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-02 at 14.36.21.png

• 7. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

When exporting as a catalog from one computer to import into another catalog on another computer you should always include the images.

We need to now the exact steps you took and all the options you checked or didn't check on the export of the catalog from your Mac notebook and then all the steps you took on importing that catalog into your main catalog of your iMac.

Screen shots would also be helpful in trying to help you figure this out.

• 8. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR

The reason you are getting the "File could not be found" error is because you didn't include the actual images in the Export As a Catalog system. It doesn't matter if those images are on the same external drive that you connect to both computers. Your iMac LR install doesn't know they are even on that same hard drive because you never import the images into the iMac install of LR.

• 9. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
                          JN92 Level 1

Yes, I know that. But I edited the photo on Mac notebook, exported it as a catalog (among others), plugged that disk in to iMac and imported the catalog.

Now, for example: My France photos (they were imported from camera to notebook and edited) are all there on iMac (after importing the catalog), but my Ljubljana shots (imported to iMac from camera, then exported to notebook as a catalog and edited - imported back to iMac as a catalog) are missing the edits.

• 10. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR

You are doing it wrong. You didn't include the actual images in the Export As Catalog. So the iMac LR doesn't know those images are on that same external drive.

When you export as a catalog then import from a catalog it does not include the Path to the images from there original location. Even if it is on the same exact hard drive.

There are ways to work around this but the best way is to include the images.

Post another screen shot showing the Library module. The ones you posted before are of the Develop module.

• 11. Re: Lost edits when exporting the catalog in LR
                              JN92 Level 1

OK.

The photo on the left was also edited on notebook the same day as the one marked. The left one is there, with all the edits, but the one chosen is missing the edits.

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 15.02.56.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-02 at 15.03.06.png