12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2016 8:56 PM by Rmwpro

When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others

Rmwpro

Now that I am on a Mac it seems that when an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the other.  On the PC all that was stored in an attached file. The Mac version doesn't seem to do that. Is there a work around for this? Last thing I want to do is work over an image in LR and find all that work is catalogue specific.

• 1. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
          dj_paige Level 9

One catalog does not know about edits made in another catalog. This is the same for MAC and PC.

You can optionally instruct Lightroom to write the edits to the image file (or sidecar xmp file in the case of RAW images). In this situation, the edits are written to the photo file, but other catalogs still don't show the change unless you specifically instruct the other catalogs to read the metadata from the file. This reading of the metadata to update the edits cannot be automated, this reading of the metadata to update the edits is a manual task every single time in every single catalog. Again, this is the same for MAC and PC.

The workaround, and the recommended procedure, is to have one catalog file for all your images, and then all these problems, and the extra work associated with it, is eliminated. If you'd like to combine your catalogs into a single catalog (again, highly recommended) then let us know and we can provide instructions.

• 2. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

"Last thing I want to do is work over an image in LR and find all that work is catalogue specific."

Its as dj_paige advises.

Lightroom is Catalog Specific and you can only have one Catalog open at any point in time.

There are lots of tutorials available to bring you up to date on how Lightroom functions.

• 3. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
              Rmwpro Level 1

I realize that. But on the PC it made sidecar feels that each other cat that had the same images in it would also have the same fixes applied to them. The Mac doesn't seem to do that.

• 4. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

There is no difference between Mac and Windows.

The difference is between proprieatary raw files (NEF, CR2, etc.) and other file types.

When you save metadata to file with proprietary raw files, the metadata is saved to a sidecar (xmp) file.

When you save metadata to any other file type, including DNG, the metadata is saved to the file itself.

• 5. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                  Rmwpro Level 1

I tried synchronizing the folders with includes reading the meta and that didn't help. Plus the meta changed on one, like copyright by for example, IS read by the other cats also containing those files. But not the LR adjustments. I do have one large cat that contains all my files but after years of use it has gotten problematic. I did the built in fixes and it was still hinkey. It's also about 10X the size of the total of the other 6 cats I made that contain the same files in total.  Just under 200K Print res files  total in the single cat and in the total of the 6 new cats. 50 years of photographs mostly MF scans and a good amount f LF scans plus about 13 years of RAW files and then all the finished feels (Which DO rad correctly Cat to Cat because they were worked over in Photoshop not LR)

• 6. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                    dj_paige Level 9

The solution is to eliminate "hinkey", whatever that is, and use one catalog.

There is no solution if the same photo is in multiple catalogs.

• 7. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Check the option in the LR Catalog Settings dialog to "Auto Write changes to XMP". That way all of your actual edits get written to a Sidecar XMP file and can be read by other catalogs you might use.

But in the end you aren't doing yourself any favors by using more than one catalog. The whole point behind LR is to have all images in one catalog on your main computer system. Sure it is find to use a second, a different, catalog on another computer, like a notebook you take on shoots, and then merge that other catalog into your main catalog when you come back from the shoot.

Import from Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Export a catalog | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials 

And the whole series by Julieanne Kost.

Julieanne Kost, Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist, Adobe Systems, Inc.

• 8. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                        Rmwpro Level 1

"Check the option in the LR Catalog Settings dialog to "Auto Write changes to XMP". That way all of your actual edits get written to a Sidecar XMP file and can be read by other catalogs you might Sue.".......Its set that way now. And it doesn't update the same image in multiple catalogues. The "hinkey" is random crashes that lead to it telling me my trial period has expired when I own the software and syncs on folders (admittedly with 50K or more print res images) that take say 2 hours or more to complete. And Imports that says it's found 10K new files to import then a couple hours later after the import began it says "no new files found to import". All these processes on the new individual cats I made last week take minutes to complete and no telling me files exist to import and then finding none. And BTW, this has occurred on two different Macs but not the PC I used prior to switching over last year.  A months days ago I switched over to the subscription version of LR (since I've had the full package for two years but kept using my store bought version of LR) to see if that helped those problems I mentioned above and it did not. So long story short. Big cat causes problems not in the new smaller versions. And the Big cat is many times larger than the sum of the small cats which cover the exact same files. One more item of note..all my files EXCEPT the cats are on 3 different Synology NAS set ups. The cats are stored on an external SSD drive exclusively for that purpose..no other files on it. I have a second SSD exclusively for Photoshop and a third for only Premiere Pro. The Apple Mac Pro 2013 only allows for a single internal drive (PCIE SSD) and it's 512 and is only for the programs and system. ALL images and videos are on the SANs. Maybe this is a problem for LR???? I know it can't keep the cats on the SANs for some reason.

• 9. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Using multiple catalogs only complicates things. This is especially true if you have the same image in more than one catalog. I have no idea why you would want to do this. You can create as many virtual copies of an image as you need. And each one of those virtual copies can be modified to your liking.

• 10. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                            dj_paige Level 9

"Check the option in the LR Catalog Settings dialog to "Auto Write changes to XMP". That way all of your actual edits get written to a Sidecar XMP file and can be read by other catalogs you might Sue.".......Its set that way now. And it doesn't update the same image in multiple catalogues.

That's right, it doesn't update other catalogs. As I said, you have to manually issue the command Metadata->Read Metadata from File, each and every time you want to update your other catalogs, once for each catalog.

The "hinkey" is random crashes that lead to it telling me my trial period has expired when I own the software and syncs on folders (admittedly with 50K or more print res images) that take say 2 hours or more to complete. And Imports that says it's found 10K new files to import then a couple hours later after the import began it says "no new files found to import".

You haven't licensed the software properly if it is telling you the trial period is expired. This is easy to fix if you'll give us the details of your license ... is it Creative Cloud or standalone.

The sync problem is a normal result when you try to add photos to your Lightroom catalog that are already in the catalog. You have to find the photos in the catalog and make use of them, rather than importing them or synchronizing them.

So long story short. Big cat causes problems not in the new smaller versions.

Sorry no, these are problems that are easily fixed and then your big catalog won't have these problems.

If you fix these problems and use Lightroom properly, you won't need multiple catalogs, and you won't have to do the work of updating the metadata every time you make a change in one catalog.

• 11. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                              Simon G E Garrett Level 2

But why do you want multiple catalogs?

This not only causes all the problems you've found, but I can't think of any benefit in having an image in multiple catalogs.  But perhaps I've missed something.

There are no performance or reliability issues in large catalogs, but I certainly can't see why you would want one image in multiple catalogs.  Please enlighten us!

• 12. Re: When an image is in multiple catalogues and I make a change to it in one cat it is not recognized by the others
                                Rmwpro Level 1

"You haven't licensed the software properly if it is telling you the trial period is expired. This is easy to fix if you'll give us the details of your license ... is it Creative Cloud or standalone." It's a problem when it crashes that it thinks I have no license. Then I reboot and it's all fine. It is a yearly subscription paid monthly. I also own LR but a while back I downloaded the CC version of it too since I am paying the complete Adobe Library for it thinking maybe some of the problems would disappear. They didn't. The account is Mike Walker under rmwpro@ca.rr.com. All my Adobe software has been properly registered for decades...it's just a bug when it does one of it's weird crashes. I'm guessing it can't find the registration feel until it does a full reboot.