8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 8:07 AM by bruthru

How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?

bruthru

I am trying to display a "yardage line" to the front of the green from spots on the video. I like this line to move with the spot as the video proceeds. I like to add 200yard lines, 150 yard lines and 100 yard lines in the video. I just can not find how to do this with aftereffects.

Here is a link to a sample video to give you an idea what I am talking about. You will see colored round disk in the ground that notate the distance from that spot to the front of the green.

Turtle Creek Golf Course - 1st hole par 4 - 406 yards - YouTube

Thanks for your help in advance,

Len Riccio

• 1. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?
          bruthru Level 1

Here is where I saw the yardage lines. This will give you exactly what I am trying to do with my course videos.

Hole 1 - YouTube

Thanks

Len Riccio

• 2. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That would be 3D tracking, though uniform green areas with barely any distinkt features to latch make for a lousy basis and AE's limited 3D tracker may not be up to the task to begin with. In the end it comes down to the old gag that this would have had to be done differently for any reasonably quick and semi-automatic solution. As it is, you will probably end up hand-animating everything.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?
              bruthru Level 1

Mylenium, normally there is a steel plate in the ground, wood steak in the ground and or specific type of tree at these yard markers. You can see these objects within the video. I guess from reading you response the 3d tracking still would not work because the objects are not as defined as say a 'building' in the video. 

• 4. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?

This has nothing to do with how "defined" objects are, you need just a certain minimum number of detectable patterns to generate tracking points and calculate the intersections of the lens projection. Even with an assisted track (not in AE, obviously) where you manually define tracking points your footage would be pretty unusable since nothing is there to latch on to and later solve the camera. That being the case, you will have to keyframe everything by hand most likely and hope it doesn't look "floaty".

Mylenium

• 5. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?
                  bruthru Level 1

Mylenium....   thank you for your input. I will play around with keyframe and see if I can get anywhere. I wish I could use the anchored point as a fixed spot in the video scene as a means to get the yardage lines to stay in position as the video moves forward.

Somehow the creators of the 'want to do as' video were able to do it. Wonder how they did it?

Hole 1 - YouTube

Thanks

Len Riccio

• 6. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?

Wonder how they did it?

With proper planning and additional tools that don't have "Adobe" or "After Effects" in their name quite likely. None of this is imposible, but you need at least some reference measures for tracking and if you only have limited options, a manual/ assisted and calibrated track is way to go, which is beyond the domain of AE.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I could track their shot in AE using motion trackers or Mocha and make it work quite easily because their shot was taken at an angle that gives me something that is easy to track:

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 5.53.06 AM.png

You shot your footage with the drone just a few feet off the ground which makes things much more difficult.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 5.53.51 AM.png

If the drone was 100' in the air there would be plenty to track.

Your shot is way too long to expect the Camera Tracker to give you a good solution for the entire shot. If I were stuck with this footage the first thing I would do is duplicate the footage layer. Then I would figure out where I wanted the first marker to appear and set that as the in point of the duplicate layer. Then I would split the layer when the marker would pass out of view. The next step would be to pre-compose the first section of footage making sure to move all attributes to the new comp. Now adjust the in-point of the new top footage layer to the spot where the second marker will appear and move to the point where the second marker goes out of frame, split the layer and repeat the process. When you have the shot cut up and pre-composed go into each pre-comp and Camera Track, set origin and ground plane and add your footage marker layers. If you get a good track set an in and out point for the marker layer, add a transition and for that shot then turn off the footage layer. Back in the main comp you should now have your footage markers all lined up with the shot. That's the only way I can see for successfully using tracking to get this shot to work. If you are doing more of these fly a little higher, stay at a constant altitude and you'll have a much easier time.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 6.30.06 AM.png

• 8. Re: How can I add "yardage line" to my aerial golf hole video?
                        bruthru Level 1

Thank you for the great input you have provided Mr.Gerard. I will study what you have provided. I am a little new to After Effects so what you have provided becomes a good area to practice using  the tool.

Normally I do fly a little higher. Because this was a lynx style course I flew lower  to capture more of the terrain of the hole (I like to preview the course to the viewer from the eyes of what the golfer will see while on the course). Most time when there are trees then I will fly a little higher. Also most golf courses have some distinct marker at the 200 yard and 150 yard spots such as post in the ground, a certain type of tree, birds box....  But this course only has colored steel plates in the ground.  

Again thanks to both you and Mylenium for taking the time to help me out.

Len Riccio