5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 7:02 AM by shays29160100

A saved document opens with less pages

magdalenas53101045

Hi, I need help from someone!

I was working on a new version of Indesign CC, I downloaded por 7 try as a trial. I have 4 days to go. What happened to me is that yesterday I saved my Indesign file in several places so I didn`t loose my work. Today I open the document and in each of the several ones I had saved yesterday, the document is missing 5 pages of my work!!!! I have a deadline for the work and I need to recover those documents. I read online and tryed to lokk for the "Recovery Indesign" file but I wasn`t succesfull. Is there a solution? A way to get the missing pages again? All the pages missing were the ones that I designed yesterday the 2 of july 2016. Thank you for your time!

• 1. Re: A saved document opens with less pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to recover work not saved once the file is closed.

Are you certain you are opening the correct version, since you say you saved in a number of locations?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A saved document opens with less pages
            Barbara Ash Adobe Community Professional

InDesign has a "Recovery" file that it uses to restore your file if there is a crash, power outage, etc. However, once your InDesign file is saved and closed successfully, the recovery file goes away. If you do happen to have the recovery file, open your document, go to Preferences > File Handling, and you will see the path where the recovery document would be stored.

As Peter mentioned, if the pages are gone, there is nothing you can do. In all the years I've used ID, pages have never disappeared so it is possible that the file was not saved after the pages were added.

You've probably already done these things, but check the Pages panel for the missing pages (expand it). If you have a red Preflight dot, click on that to see if you possibly have overset text that just isn't showing. A common mistake for those who are new to ID is to put the layout on a master page, so check your master pages.

I hope you're able to find the missing pages.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: A saved document opens with less pages
              magdalenas53101045 Level 1

Thank you very much for your answer and for stating all the possibilities for the recovery. I tryed everything and didn`t succeed. It never happened to me such strange thing that some pages dissaper although the document was saved correctly. I believe it has something to do to the fact that I was working on the trial version of Indesign CC. I am now working on the CS6 version, that is the one I already had installed in my pc.

Thank you very much!

Magdalena

• 4. Re: A saved document opens with less pages
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Trial versions are fully functional, so that should not have been an issue.

• 5. Re: A saved document opens with less pages
                  shays29160100

I just encountered the same problem. I signed up to the free 7 day trial, I had completed about 20pages now the writing is missing on some pages not all after I have signed up to the monthly subscription.... Ill keep trying the above solutions. Shay