9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 7:37 AM by williams65632031

Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]

jennaberlin2016

I made the most terrible mistake ever when purchasing Lightroom!!!! I went to Best Buy to get my brand new Macbook so I could finally do the projects I needed for work, and part of that included Photoshop... Of course, Best Buy employees doing what Best Buy employees do best, convinced me to buy Lightroom because it's "recommended for Macs." Not realizing that it wouldn't have the capacity to do half the things I need to do, and the other half is so convoluted and complicated that it takes me forever to figure out! I have to constantly research how to do the most simplest of tasks, and then at times will find myself reading "how to's" for photoshop because guess what?! LIGHT ROOM DOESN'T DO IT! Why?!?!?!? Why?! OMG I can't believe I spent so much money on this program, and I wish I had just ignored that idiot kid and gotten the program I know and trust. Adobe, how can you do me like this?! If you had an email contact, I would contact you through there. Unfortunately you're not open right now otherwise I would be calling to complain. And maybe on my day off I will. Ugh... So upset... This sucks.

• 1. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!!
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think it's realistic to purchase ANY software with the expectation of not having to learn how to use it. There are lots of excellent tutorials available online if you want to take the time to learn how to use Lightroom. As far as your complaint that, "Lightroom doesn't do it" is concerned, perhaps if you explained what it is you are trying to do you might get some valuable help.

I don't know what it is that you are needing to do, but I find that well over 90% of what I need is accomplished using Lightroom. It isn't very often that I need to turn to Photoshop or any other software to complete the project. But because of how Lightroom is designed, Photoshop or some other pixel editing program is needed occasionally. Lightroom is designed to integrate with Photoshop and other software to provide you with a very powerful set of tools for digital photography.

• 2. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!!
            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll also note that Adobe does not supervise Best Buy or any other store's employees. They are not at fault here.

You may want the $10 monthly Lightroom and Photoshop | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan to have that full set of tools Jim is talking about.

Also Adobe does offer returns Conditions for Adobe product returns Check with them or Best Buy.

Gene

• 3. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!!
              Simon G E Garrett Level 2

As the others say, most programs takes take some learning and getting used to.  Personally I find Lightroom much more intuitive than Photoshop, but I'm sure there are others for whom it's the other way around. 

Two features of Lightroom make it rather different to other photo processing programs:

1. Lightroom's catalog.  Everything it knows about your images (but not the images themselves) is stored in the catalog - a database.  Lightroom can't work on images until you've "imported" the images, which means it creates entries in the catalog for your images.
              2. Lightroom's style of non-destructive editing.  Edits do not cause changes to the image file, but only to the catalog (and possibly to an XMP "sidecar" file).

Until you've got your head around these two, Lightroom is likely to seem a bit mysterious.

Ultimately it's a matter of experience with each program, and especially personal preference.

• 4. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]
                jennaberlin2016 Level 1

Gener7 is write in that Adobe can't monitor Best Buy employees but I was told that this was the "mac equivalent" Here's my issue. I am not a photographer, I am a tattoo artist. I had intended on using photoshop to help me build designs and manipulate images. So how do I take a graphic, and put and outline around it and delete the center. How do I write out "Only God can Judge Me" and they arch it so that it can rock across a collar, or a stomach. And I am trying to learn it, whenever an issue comes up that I need to figure out I'll google and search forums. Can you even just start with a blank document? I wish I had known that Adobe accepted returns but I didn't think you could return programs. Just disappointed and frustrated that I spent all that money and still can't do the things I need to do. I loved photoshop for all the other things you could do with it without photos and I expected the same from the "Mac equivalent"

-Jenna

• 5. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]
                  gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The confusion arises because the formal name for Lightroom is "Photoshop Lightroom". Photoshop is simply called Photoshop and can be run on the Mac or PC.  Lightroom is not the "mac equivalent" of Photoshop which already runs on the Mac. Some clerk did not know or care what he was talking about.

If you are experienced using Photoshop Windows for your designs, get Photoshop for the Mac. It behaves and performs the same on the Mac.

You don't have to get it from Best Buy either. Go to this link and download Photoshop for your Mac in the privacy of your own home and you are ready to go.  $10 monthly or $120 annual subscription.

Lightroom and Photoshop | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan

• 6. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do need Photoshop for what you want to do, not Lightroom.  Photoshop and Lightroom are both available on PCs and Macs so Lightroom on a Mac would not be the equivalent of Photoshop on a PC if that's what the Best Buy people were suggesting.

What is your situation that you cannot use Photoshop, anymore, and had to switch to Lightroom?  The Photoshop + Lightroom Photography subscription is $10/month is that doable?  Can you not return Lightroom, anymore?

• 7. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]
                      williams65632031

I have a related problem I hope Gene can answer. The other day I purchased a $39 Adobe training course for Photoshop, LightRoom, and InDesign. I now cannot find how to access it. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

• 8. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]
                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

williams65632031  wrote

The other day I purchased a $39 Adobe training course for Photoshop, LightRoom, and InDesign.

Can you give us some more clues? When you signed up for the course you would have received an email with access details. Can you find that email?

FYI, this is a user to user forum. Very few Adobe Staffers here. So, unless a user here has used the exact same course that you signed up for, it's likely that we'll be guessing or googling just like you.

• 9. Re: Why Adobe Why?!?!! [Finding Lightroom difficult to learn]
                          williams65632031 Level 1

I’m sorry I’ve wasted your time.

It turns out that the training course comes from a group in Ireland! It is not an Adobe product.